Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 w commander

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ScottB1260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 w commander
    Posted: September-24-2014 at 1:57am
Im pretty sure its a RH rotation engine. I may have been wrong about the year.Im gonna look into a machine shop, but if i do end up picking up the PCM, it doesnt have the exhaust manifolds so id have to use the "commander logs". Im not worried about making the money back, just want a running boat. Its been far too long.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 12:25am
'89 used LH rotation engine. Most likely that one is not a righty.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 12:17am
Pretty much,sometimes waterpumps are different and dipstick placement nothing major
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 12:14am
If both are 351w, would the old stuff not just bolt to the new engine?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 12:04am
Ask around for a quality engine shop with marine experience. Surely in the Tampa area there is one. Pull the engine yourself, drop the block off to shop and pick up Jody's GT40 heads, put a new carb and mild cam and you'll see way more power than that used engine likely puts out and I bet not much more $.

Option 2, if that newer engine comes with PCM manifolds, use the PCM's and sell your Commander logs for almost the cost of the newer engine and be out no $. Of course I would likely stick with the Commander logs myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:48pm
No, it's not that same guy but I saw that post too. Haha. I lost compression in my cylinders due to moisture getting into my intake manifold and rust scoring the inside of the cylinder walls. So aside from completely rebuilding it or buying a new block I was just thinking of other options. I could pull my engine and swap them out but I wouldn't trust myself on a rebuild. Just looking into other options that are within my price range and that I'd be able to do myself.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:35pm
So this isn't the guy with the overpriced PCM in Orlando then? Manifolds are interchangeable but exhaust hoses will be different length. That tranny should be different than yours so don't plan on keeping it for a spare. I believe '89 was introduction of the 1.23? I would keep your Commander setup and do a quality rebuild. Whats wrong with your current engine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:20pm
its reverse rotation. they said it ran good when taken out of an 89' 2001. My engine is an 83. He was only asking $950 and thats for the motor and tranny. I'd definitely check compression and i'd have to put a new carb on it. but that seemed like a good deal instead of rebuilding my engine or buying a new block. the differences in the manifolds is what worried me though or anything that might not match up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:14pm
Things you need to ask is the PCM a right hand rotation? And how much do they want for it? Why was it removed? You could just get yourself a short block from someone like Jasper or someone similar and just transfer your marine parts to it and have basically a new motor rather than rely on what someone says
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:04pm
My commander 351w needs a rebuild. I found a PCM 351w bobtail on craigslist. I know the exhaust manifolds on PCMs look different than the commander engine. Are the manifolds, motor mounts, pulleys and such all interchangeable between the PCM and the Commander engine? Im just curious if i buy the PCM, if i can swap parts from the commander. Will the motor mounts/ exhaust and intake manifolds all match up?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic