Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sparks gone - Is it the coil pack?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sparks gone - Is it the coil pack?
    Posted: October-22-2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by tasai tasai wrote:

JPASS, if that is what I need to do then I will certainly use your most helpful tutorial.
But, does anyone know of a way to test the coil pack to make sure it is the culprit?

The engine showed none of the symptoms that everybody else with a failed coil pack experienced.

Dont always go by everyone else's symptoms i can tell u that will have you running a rat race! With electrical issues ANYTHING can happen.You mentioned testing the coil packs? If a memeber here that happens to have a working PRO TEC would be willing to give you the COLD ohm readings off theres that would b reference for you if you own a meter? If not just take the previous suggestions and junk the PRO TEC!
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Not sure the answer to your question but your doing pretty good getting 22yrs out of it, mine failed at age 10. Easy for us to spend your money but I agree with JP, would just replace it since you are already on borrowed time. BTW, IMO the boat ran stronger with the replacement then the Pro Tech from day 1.

Nate,
I agree with JP and CQ. You will be better off in the long run plus, you have gotten the life out of the system already. You using the timing light proves you do have a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 4:14pm
Not sure the answer to your question but your doing pretty good getting 22yrs out of it, mine failed at age 10. Easy for us to spend your money but I agree with JP, would just replace it since you are already on borrowed time. BTW, IMO the boat ran stronger with the replacement then the Pro Tech from day 1.
tasai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 3:49pm
JPASS, if that is what I need to do then I will certainly use your most helpful tutorial.
But, does anyone know of a way to test the coil pack to make sure it is the culprit?

The engine showed none of the symptoms that everybody else with a failed coil pack experienced.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 9:52am
Sounds like the ProTec or the dizzy trigger unit is going bad. I'd replace the ignition and call it a day.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
tasai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 12:05am
Howdy,
My 1992 SN w PCM 351 engine and Pro Tech ignition will not start.

I have never had a single issue with it starting or stalling or feeling like it was in limp mode before, but I took it to the lake the other day and couldn't get it running.
It was getting gas so I figured it was the spark. Using a timing light I determined that only cylinders 3 and 5 are firing when cranking the engine.

Has the coil pack gone bad?

From what I have read here the Pro Techs eventually fail, but everyone who has posted about it seems to have experienced problems starting the engine after it had warmed up and been shut off, or max RPMs could not be achieved.

There is no brown goo coming out of the pack to signify its demise.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic