NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing
    Posted: October-18-2014 at 5:57pm
That's a problem. Looks like you need a carb kit. That happened to me last year.

HUGE HEADS UP----- I went through 4 combinations of needles and seats before I found a set that sealed properly (assuming it's a Holly).

Cut a can in half and put it below the secondary bowl before putting the bolts out. Otherwise you get a half cup of fuel on uour engine. I found that out the hard way.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 5:41pm
Yeah 10 at idle. For the few minutes it ran it seemed better there. All summer I suspected the carb to be flooding but never caught it other than a few hard starts 3 minutes after shut down. When it straight up stalled today I looked in the throat of carb and the secondaries had a steady stream pouring out.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 4:59pm
Oh no.

When you say you set it to 10, does that mean 10 degrees at idle?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 4:55pm
Well I set it to 10, dropped it in the water. Ran great in all sort of conditions. 0-48 a few times with lots of 25 mph too. After 10 minutes a slowed for the canal and it flooded out. Now I'm floating across the lake waiting for it to dry out.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 4:38pm
Oh, yes the #1 cylinder is the Starboard forward.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 4:34pm
I just timed my engine with zach's help and that all sounds correct except the 2500. I think 3500 is total advance and that's where you're looking for 32-34 advanced. Mine started at 10 idle / 25 full advance. I turned clockwise to advance and wound up at 18 idle / 32 full and she runs like a Swiss watch.

The balances only go up to 30 and I guess there's a special type of gun you can buy to project higher than 30 settings. I just eyeballed 32.

I'm amateur at best so someone that knows a lot more than me can confirm.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 2:56pm
2500 looks like we're going to 40*???
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 2:32pm
I tried finding the answer here but hadn't yet. Please bear with me. Trying to check and play with timing because my engine just isn't happy and its a long story. Timing should be 10* BTC correct then all in around 2500 rpms which should be 34*, correct? Im partly confused because my balancer is marked 10 ATC to 0 then 30 BTC. Somebody marked 0 and 10. At idle probably 750 ish, If Im reading the marks and light correct, timing is about 18* BTC. I hadn't yet checked timing at 2500 rpm but will report back shortly. And #1 cylinder is the front cylinder starboard side towards the pulley correct?

'76 351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic