NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 Ford 351 rear main seal reverse rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1981 Ford 351 rear main seal reverse rotation
    Posted: April-25-2015 at 2:50pm
So they can charge more for the rh ones
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2015 at 1:47pm
Wait a second..if the rear main seal for my block is not rotation specific, why do they sell rotation specific seals?
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2015 at 11:18am
Thanks Pete, just ordered one from deep blue yacht supply.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2015 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Plan B Plan B wrote:

Thinking I should replace the cutlass bearings while I have the shaft apart, I have a 1" shaft can anyone verify the size I need?

! &1/4" x 4" would be typical. Some have used the newer plastic but I've stuck with the "tried and true" rubber.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2015 at 9:35am
Thinking I should replace the cutlass bearings while I have the shaft apart, I have a 1" shaft can anyone verify the size I need?
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2015 at 9:15am
Someone got to them before I did..I found a set for $40.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2015 at 12:10am
RockAuto has 2 in stock on closeout for less than $16. Better hurry.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 11:43pm
If you cant find it local you should check with the site sponsors and even Amazon and Ebay. They are getting hard to find.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 11:40pm
Thanks Watauga, thats what I'll get. BTW, amazing restore on your boat! I look at that thread all the time!
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 11:25pm

Its the Felpro 17748
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 11:00pm
Awesome! Thanks TRBenj! Any recommendations on which seals I should use as well as what I should check/replace while I'm down there? Plan on doing the RMS and oil pan seal so far.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:46pm
D9=1979, so 2-piece seal block. You don't need a rotation-specific rear main seal, the wick lines are in the crank.
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:39pm
Thanks JoeinNY, you were correct, and yes the starter has to be removed to see it.
It appears to be: D9AE-6015-ED 11
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 7:14pm
Man, I can't find it. When you say behind the starter do you mean having to remove it to see it? I've looked and relooked without seeing any numbers. Below is a picture taken just above the starter from the side and the other one is taken from the backside area near the starter..both of which I see no numbers.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 4:17pm
IIRC on the windsors the block casting number will be on the block behind the starter.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 3:57pm
No, that is the water pump.
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 3:23pm
Is this it? The numbers after are -8505-AA
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 2:43pm
Opps, I mixed up cleveland with commander..how embarrassing. With that being said, this motor has been more than monkeyed with by more than one monkey :)

I'm looking all over this block for some sort of casting # but not seeing anything besides the photos I uploaded earlier. Can anyone tell me what location they should be in. I tried Google images but still not seeing one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 2:01pm
Oh my gosh, the elusive Cleveland!!!!

Just kidding, it's a Windsor. Specifically, a commander marinization. Looks like it's been monkeyed with a bit. I'd verify the casting number of the block to verify the year. The rear main seal style changed around 83.
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 1:58pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 1:52pm
how about a picture of the motor from the front?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 1:46pm
Do one of these tags help to I.d. the motor?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:38am
Zach, let's get the guy figure out that he has a Windsor, and then confirm the year before we go talking specifics.
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:31am
What information do you need, and where is it located? I will post it asap.
Thanks for the reply.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 10:25am
The 2 piece rear main shouldn't be rotation specific as the crankshaft had knurls cut into it to wick oil away from the seal. One piece seals are rotation specific.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 7:32am
Ryan,
Confirm your engine block. The Cleveland is a very elusive engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Plan B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2015 at 12:13am
In need of a rear main seal for a right hand rotating ford 351 cleveland motor.. I have searched the inner webs tirresly with no luck, many sites show it, but none are in stock..anywhere. Does anyone happen to know where I can find one or if there are any other substitions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic