Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broken transmission Ski Nautique 196 -07

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken transmission Ski Nautique 196 -07
    Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:17pm
Jake
if you plan on keeping the boat for years get yourself some heavy duty Spline Grease for the trans. input and coupler splines. And a can of waxy anti corrosion spray for the Damper/Coupler Assembly. Gets pretty humid in there all buttoned up and rusts the spring seats on the Damper!!!!
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 1:38pm
Thank you everybody!
Today the weather was non-rainy, since I dont have a garage to tinker in today was a good day.

As I got tipped about here, the damper on the flywheel is broken.

Thanks again for the help!

/Jake
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 8:10pm
Jake,
You got it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 8:02pm
Peter,
Thanks for being patient with me. Lets see if I got this right now.
So the clutches (there are two, forward and reverse?) need oil pressure to work.
With some kind of crack or leaking inside the transmission pressure can not be built up and because of this the engines rotation cant translate to rotation of the prop shaft since the clutch cant engage.

Am I right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 7:52pm
Jake,
I feel you are misunderstanding how a marine trans work. There are no gears to mesh like a automotive trans. The forward clutch pack locks up the trans so all the rotation goes straight out the back. The clutch pack is activated with hydraulic pressure. The shift lever on the trans is not connected to any gearing. It's a valve spool directing the flow of hydraulic oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2015 at 11:18am
So its something else since I cant get into any gear?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Jakeaku Jakeaku wrote:

And a cracked pump drum equals in zero pressure in the transmission which menas no pressure to select a gear.

It's no pressure to activate the forward or reverse clutch plates. The only gears is the reverse planetary set.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 7:40pm
And a cracked pump drum equals in zero pressure in the transmission which menas no pressure to select a gear.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 7:31pm
Jake,
The pump drum is internal of the case so you would not see any fluid leak. Yes, in most cases, a broken damper makes plenty of noise but, if the spline bore sheared at the springs, there may not be extra pieces to fly around. hitting the bell housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:48pm
If the pump drum is cracked wouldnt there be transmission fluid leaking? When I drained the old fluid there was the right amount 1.9 liters.

If the damper is broken wouldnt there be some kind of rattling noise when I engage a gear?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 5:41pm
At this point the transmission certainly needs to come out. If you are lucky you will find the damper on the flywheel has broken. If you are not lucky the transmission must be taken apart and expensive parts replaced.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 5:38pm
Today I changed the trans fluid. The old one was red and no metal flakes or anything else that shouldnt be there. The new one is Dexron III and I think the old one was that aswell. After I had changed I started the engine and waited with the engine in idle until it was att working temperature then I tried to engage both forward and reverse and it doesnt come into gear.

So now ive towed the boat across the lake and now I have her on a trailer outside the house. Ive gotten my hands on the manual for the transmission and I intend to start troubleshooting tomorrow.

Any ideas where to start?
Should I take the trans out or keep it in the boat and try there first?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 10:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Should he confirm his linkage is OK or that the trans is being shifted first?
Believe that is a TBW boat,, is the trans still shifted with a cable??

Chris,
I'm going by this statement Jake made:

When I pull the lever (by hand and not using the cable) I dont feel any ressistance .

But is he trying to shift it when running or not???? If he's moving the shift lever by hand when it's not running, it will sound and feel exactly like he describes. If it's running then we have a problem.
Need more info before you go tearing the tranny out.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 8:03pm
Along with what Pete Said it's either a Pump Drum cracked or the center blew out of the Damper/Coupler!!!! Both can be checked with dis-assembly. If the Regulator spring broke the thing would still have enough pressure to try to rotate the shaft either direction when shifted!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Chris,
I'm going by this statement Jake made:

When I pull the lever (by hand and not using the cable) I dont feel any ressistance .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 7:48pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 7:35pm
If I remember correctly, Eric was always commenting on the PCM trans pump drums cracking. This sure sounds like the problem since the symptoms point to no hydraulic pressure.

Jake,
The trans needs to come out of the boat, taken apart and inspected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 2:17am
When I pull the lever (by hand and not using the cable) I dont feel any ressistance if you would call it that, but I hear when the electric switch goes on and off. The switch that tells the electrics if it is in neutral or not, since you cant crank the engine with anything except neutral engaged. The prop shaft does not move when I try to engage it and then rev the engine, I can turn it by hand both in forward, neutral and reverse. When I turn it it doesnt sound wierd or broken (note that I havent turned it when it worked so I could be wrong, but I have help from a car mechanic and he doesnt think that it should sound any other way). The transmission fluid is checked and no metal flakes in.
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 2:04am
Yes the engine started to rev, I reckon it started to rev more because it "went into neutral". I can turn The prop shaft by hand both in the boat and by turning the propeller in the water and the shaft turns in the boat.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 10:12pm
When it happened did the engine suddenly rev? Can you turn the prop shaft at all by hand (with the engine off, please)?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 7:29pm
Do you hear anything happening in Trans or does prop shaft at transmission end try to turn when you shift forward or reverse with engine running??
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 11:24am
Fluid checked.
No bang or rattling noise, the engine reved since the transmission "came into neutral".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 9:51am
Have you checked Transmission fluid?
Was there a noticeable bang or unhooking noise when boat slowed down?
Any rattling noises coming from the bell-housing area between engine and transmission?
Jakeaku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 6:45am
Hi everybody!

I bought my first boat little more than one week ago and it has been really fun. But yesterday when I was taking of I came a couple hundred yards out on the lake and then the boat stopped and wont come into gear. I've tried to choose gear with the cable de-attached and it doesnt work.

I understand that the transmission is broken, but how serious is it?
Is this something you can fix by yourself?
Since I live in Sweden the summer is short and parts are kinda hard to come by, so I need a good and quick fix.

The boat has a little more than 1400 hours on its neck. It is a PCM 5.7l 343hp Excalibur engine with a PCM 1.23:1 Transmission.

Thank for the help!

/Jake
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic