NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

problem solving engine trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problem solving engine trouble
    Posted: August-16-2016 at 5:27pm
Glad you are making progress. If you have black plugs it is rich, does not sound like a vacuum leak. You are on the right track.
It does sound like your distributor advance springs may be letting the advance come in too soon. Are stiffer springs available for this distributor?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 5:26pm
You may want to check your timing chain for wear. See other thread, just move crank with a wrench & see if dizzy moves immediately.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Lift Films View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 4:30pm
I spent a full day on the lake Saturday with two guys that know a lot more about engines than I do. Here is what we found out.

1) All the spark plugs were black and we found one that wasn't firing. We went ahead and changed them all out.
2) We double checked the timing advance and it seemed to be advancing fine.   The weights and springs move freely and we reved the engine up to make sure it wasn't getting hung up anywhere.
3) We played with different timing settings and actually found that the main problem we've been having (stuttering under load) completely went away when we changed the timing to top dead center (or set at 0 degrees).    The only problem with that is we were not getting as much power out of the gate with that setting. It was noticeably sluggish to get up on plane.     When we brought the timing back to 10 BTDC it had plenty of power but the problem returned.
4) We put a new coil and distributor cap on which didn't change anything.
5) We checked for vacuum leaks again by spraying around the carb but there were none that we could find.    We removed the carburetor and changed both gaskets to thicker gasket material just to be safe.    Everything was flat and clean and there were no signs of a vacuum leak.
6) While we had the carb off we decided to change the jets back down to a smaller jet size since we knew we were running rich anyway. The carb came with 67 jets so we went down to 65 jets.   After we did this we found that we could get the timing set to around 6 BTDC without having the problem occur and very little power loss out of the gate.   a definite improvement.
7) So we left the lake on saturday with the boat running pretty well overall but the timing is set to around 6 BTDC. I ordered 63 jets so I could try that size to see if we could get the timing set to 10 BTDC without losing power or having that stutter under load.

looks like we've finally made some progress.     Any other thoughts based on this info?
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2016 at 8:26pm
That's what an E spark for the screw down cap should look like.

If you want to get at the photo electric eye you have to pull the shutter/rotor assembly off, sometimes they can be stubborn

KenO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2016 at 6:08pm
What type of rotor and shutter do you have with the e spark?    I've cleaned up the old rotor and was ready to install it but wanted to make sure this setup was even correct.    
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Lift Films Lift Films wrote:

Ok. I have a new coil ordered.    I'll get the rotor and cap cleaned up and double check the wiring once the coil comes in. Hopefully my problem is with the coil.    How do you know what coil will work with the e spark?    The coil currently on the boat is a C819 (autozone).

That Duralast c819 coil is 1.5 ohms according to auto zone.

You would wire your e spark per figure 5 of the instructions I attached at the bottom of page 2 of this thread. You would have a ballast resistor as part of this wiring.

The mallory 29219 coil gets wired with no ballast resistor.

The odd part is that it's also about the same resistance. It's 1.4 ohms.

So the 64,000 dollar question is why the Mallory coils that they specify in the instructions (the 29219 is one of them) don't need a ballast resistor.

I don't know the answer but that's the coil I've been using for quite a while with no issues. Must have to do with the coils internal construction.

The 29217 is wired per figure 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 7:57pm
Ok. I have a new coil ordered.    I'll get the rotor and cap cleaned up and double check the wiring once the coil comes in. Hopefully my problem is with the coil.    How do you know what coil will work with the e spark?    The coil currently on the boat is a C819 (autozone).
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 6:18pm

Thanks KENO.     Should the coil be the same as the one you mentioned earlier? UF-2?

The coil I've been using with an e spark is a Mallory 29219

mallory instructions

The linked instructions talk about coils and ballast resistors right at the beginning, the 29219 is one of the 3 listed for use without a ballast resistor.

I went that route and haven't had any problems

The instructions can be confusing, these particular ones are for an e spark in a Mallory distributor but the wiring is the same for all the e spark kits.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 5:11pm
For what it is worth. I took a screen shot of KENO's above post with the part numbers. Took it to the parts store ordered them all and was up and running in no time!

Thanks KENO,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 4:18pm
Thanks KENO.     Should the coil be the same as the one you mentioned earlier? UF-2?
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:22am
Hi Lift Films

Bet you were surprised when you popped the cap.

I think about all you could do short of replacing the e spark unit would be to clean the rotor and cap contacts if there is any corrosion etc on them. That would be by scraping the stuff. off.

You could clean the photo optic eye with some spray electrical contact cleaner. Don't use brake parts cleaner. We won't get into why I say that

If I suggest getting a new e spark kit, it'll probably turn out to be wrong and not cure your issue, then again if you don't get one you won't know. Kinda a Catch 22 situation.

Like TRBenj mentioned earlier the electronics can do strange things, but I'd start by making sure things are clean like I mentioned above

One other thing, look at the Mallory instructions and make sure it's wired the way they tell you to. Much of this depends on what you're using for a coil.

KenO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 10:19pm
KENO,

Just getting back on this.   I just double checked and my distributor has the electronic conversion.

It has the screw down cap with a Mallory 6100M Distributor Module.    What do you recommend doing on that?    
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 2:36pm
If it's a screw down cap then you would use a 1302 kit from Discount Inboard Marine instead of the 1301.

I don't have any Standard brand numbers written down for the cap and rotor for the screwdown cap.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 1:47pm
My 78 had a serial number in the back drivers side right below the rub rail and the year of build was in that number.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you want some part numbers, here goes. These are for the Prestolite clip down cap which is what came on the 76's. If you have the later screw down cap the cap and rotor are different

These are all Standard Motor Products but could be cross referenced to another brand

Points     AL-5677P

Condenser AL-118

Rotor      AL-153

Cap        AL-140 (cheap one) or AL-483 (expensive one, brass contacts instead of aluminum)

Coil          UF-2

Ballast resistor RU-4   (RU-23 or RU-37 will work too)

Or you can go to discount Inboard Marine's website and get a 1301 tuneup kit (cap, rotor, points and condenser) and 1243 ballast resistor and 1223 coil.

May or may not cure your problem, but you'll know your ignition system is right.

KenO

My cap is the screw down version.    So the cap and rotor are the only things that are different?   Which brings up another point. What is the best way to tell what year model a nautique is?   The papers for my boat show two different numbers.   Previous owners didn't keep up the documents very well so there was a lot of confusion when I purchased it.

I really want to know the source of the problem so my plan is to change components one at a time until the problem goes away.
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:01am

I'm moving to ignition now.   My boat has standard ignition with points.   I'll start checking each of KENO's suggestions off the list.    thanks for the help.

If you want some part numbers, here goes. These are for the Prestolite clip down cap which is what came on the 76's. If you have the later screw down cap the cap and rotor are different

These are all Standard Motor Products but could be cross referenced to another brand

Points     AL-5677P

Condenser AL-118

Rotor      AL-153

Cap        AL-140 (cheap one) or AL-483 (expensive one, brass contacts instead of aluminum)

Coil          UF-2

Ballast resistor RU-4   (RU-23 or RU-37 will work too)

Or you can go to discount Inboard Marine's website and get a 1301 tuneup kit (cap, rotor, points and condenser) and 1243 ballast resistor and 1223 coil.

May or may not cure your problem, but you'll know your ignition system is right.

KenO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 11:58pm
I'm moving to ignition now.   My boat has standard ignition with points.   I'll start checking each of KENO's suggestions off the list.    thanks for the help.
Luke Pearson
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 11:25pm
Listen to KENO. I'd continue to troubleshoot the ignition... Doesn't sound like carb. I've seen EI modules misbehave at specific rpm and act fine above/below.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:13pm
Update:

I went out to the lake today and tried switching out the jets so I could mark another thing off the list.    The carb came with 67 jets from the factory. I tried 65 jets and didn't notice much of a difference. I then tried the 69 jets and the boat ran noticeably worse. It idled worse, had less power, bogged, etc.    I'll switch it back to factory size and mark the jets off the list.

I didn't have anyone with me where I could check timing advance.   I'll try that tomorrow or monday.
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 4:36pm

[QUOTE=KENO] Hi LiftFilm
It is a prestolite sae-j1171

Once you get to 3500 rpm the problem goes away completely.     at 3000 rpm it is there but almost unnoticeable.   at 2500 it is the worst.    below 1800 it is non-existent.   

The SAE j1171 just m eans it's a marine distributor. That was the SAE testing that qualified it as marine. But at least you know it's a marine Prestolite

If it's points and you haven't touched them in a while, I'd do points, rotor, cap and condenser and a coil while I was at it. Just a stock replacement type coil
Can't hurt that's for sure.

Electronic might have it's own set of problems that would be a little harder.

KenO.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi LiftFilms

I don't see any mention of what kind of distributor you have.

Will the boat run at say 3000 or 3500 rpm's for a minute or more with no issues?

It is a prestolite sae-j1171

Once you get to 3500 rpm the problem goes away completely.     at 3000 rpm it is there but almost unnoticeable.   at 2500 it is the worst.    below 1800 it is non-existent.   
Luke Pearson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 3:35pm
Hi LiftFilms

Having read thru all of this thread and all of last year's, I don't see any mention of what kind of distributor you have.

Lots of talk about timing and advance mechanisms, nothing about points or electronic.

I've seen both do some strange things.that are hard to explain.

Will the boat run at say 3000 or 3500 rpm's for a minute or more with no issues?

If I put on a brand new carb and that didn't resolve my issues I'd be looking elsewhere and I can't count how many times over the years I've been sure something was a fuel issue only to figure out it was ignition instead

KenO

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 2:51pm
Run the timing your engine calls for, it is not the same in all engines. That is why some say 5 and some say 10 degrees. Run what your engine calls for as a base.
If your timing advances smoothly every time and does go up over 30 as you state it, you ruled out timing as a possible cause. Check it off.
If it is sticking at any point it can cause big headaches and boat distributors do rust and eventually stick. or the springs rust out and fail making your advance curve bad.
For your engine to perform timing has to advance smooth and linear, each time the RPM changes.
My carb knowledge is weak so I will let the experienced help you on that.
I would think if you can run it wide open for a minute and not starve for fuel you don't have a supply issue or a float issue.
A leaking diaphragm on the secondarys would leave them closed at all times and cost you power but not make it run erratically.
From what you describe it sounds like the secondarys in your 4 barrel are working fine and the primary system is where your issue is.
When you water test it have help to drive for you. With the engine cover up manually open the secondarys and see if your problem happens at 2,500 running on the secondary with the primary still set at idle.   Might give you a clue where to focus.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I see you set the timing and I guess you did this at idle which is normal.
Engine performance is very much controlled by the Mechanical advance in your distributor.
It normally functions perfectly and is invisible.
When they act up you need to verify what they are doing to fix them or verify it is working perfect and move on to other potential problems.
The simple check would be to hook up the timing light to your number one spark plug.
If you question what plug is number one, look down on the front of your engine above your fan belts. As you look down notice that one cylinder head is actually about 1 inch forward of the other cylinder head. The forward head and the front cylinder is where your number 1 plug will be located, Chevy, Ford Chrysler all the same., With the engine running and timing light working have a partner rev the engine up slowly from idle 650 RPM to 4,000 RPM watch the timing mark on your harmonic balancer move. It should move from the factory setting of 5 degrees or so at idle all the way up to 35 degrees by 3,000 RPM. If it is sticky, jumpy or does not move this is a major issue and needs fixed.
Fix is simple, take the cap off the distributor remove the points and condenser and get down to your advance weights under the points. Make sure they are clean, no rust. The springs are still attached. Turn the shaft gently and watch the springs move and the weights swing. Make sure the weights are clean and smooth. If you take them out a quick smoothing with 600 grit sand paper will make them work well again.
I always coat them with a very thin film of marine grease. I understand many say to keep them bone dry. I use the thin coating, just a film, to help avoid future rust. I know the coating can attract dirt and dust. Choose your poison, dirt or rust both can mess it up. Timing should advance as RPM goes up. If you are 5 at idle it might be 15 at 1,500 RPM and 20 at 2,000-2,500 and max at 35 + or - 1 at 3,000-3,500.   Keep checking all the way to 4,000 so you are positive where it stops advancing.
As was mentioned many posts back on this thread timing could cause your issues if it is not advancing correctly as your RPM go up.

thanks.   I'll double check this today.    Pretty sure timing is advancing correctly though.   I'm not getting any pings or backfires.   Boat accelerates fine and runs great at high RPMs.    Also not sure why it would run fine for a minute before the stumbling starts if it was a timing issue.    It is literally like clock work.   It'll run perfect at 2500 RPM for 1 minute and then start stumbling every 3 seconds until you accelerate.   When you bring it back down to 2500 rpm it will take another minute to start stumbling.   

and maybe stumbling is the wrong word.    It sounds like a bog; as if it's getting too much fuel or starving for fuel.   
Luke Pearson
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:48am
I have checked for advance it is good and smooth.get up just over 30 at 3500 rpm.My timing marks only go up to 30.The distributer seems to be fine.i honestly think my whole problem has been timing.will verify this week end though .The confusing thing is wether it should actually be 5 or 10 degrees..From what I can tell now I believe my motor be a WRD motor actually refers to RD setting which say the timing should be at 10 degrees not 5 which I have been setting it to for years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You could watch the secondaries' linkage when it is acting up. Maybe there is something wrong with the secondaries vacuum diaphram, like a pinhole.

Good idea. We thought the same thing and watched these good.    No sign of leakage from secondaries..
Luke Pearson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lift Films Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Chris74 Chris74 wrote:

What did your manual tell you to set timing to ?

10 BTDC
Luke Pearson
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 5:05am
I see you set the timing and I guess you did this at idle which is normal.
Engine performance is very much controlled by the Mechanical advance in your distributor.
It normally functions perfectly and is invisible.
When they act up you need to verify what they are doing to fix them or verify it is working perfect and move on to other potential problems.
The simple check would be to hook up the timing light to your number one spark plug.
If you question what plug is number one, look down on the front of your engine above your fan belts. As you look down notice that one cylinder head is actually about 1 inch forward of the other cylinder head. The forward head and the front cylinder is where your number 1 plug will be located, Chevy, Ford Chrysler all the same., With the engine running and timing light working have a partner rev the engine up slowly from idle 650 RPM to 4,000 RPM watch the timing mark on your harmonic balancer move. It should move from the factory setting of 5 degrees or so at idle all the way up to 35 degrees by 3,000 RPM. If it is sticky, jumpy or does not move this is a major issue and needs fixed.
Fix is simple, take the cap off the distributor remove the points and condenser and get down to your advance weights under the points. Make sure they are clean, no rust. The springs are still attached. Turn the shaft gently and watch the springs move and the weights swing. Make sure the weights are clean and smooth. If you take them out a quick smoothing with 600 grit sand paper will make them work well again.
I always coat them with a very thin film of marine grease. I understand many say to keep them bone dry. I use the thin coating, just a film, to help avoid future rust. I know the coating can attract dirt and dust. Choose your poison, dirt or rust both can mess it up. Timing should advance as RPM goes up. If you are 5 at idle it might be 15 at 1,500 RPM and 20 at 2,000-2,500 and max at 35 + or - 1 at 3,000-3,500.   Keep checking all the way to 4,000 so you are positive where it stops advancing.
As was mentioned many posts back on this thread timing could cause your issues if it is not advancing correctly as your RPM go up.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 11:18pm
Have you verified the timing is advancing smoothly from idle all the way up and not jumping and sticking as you increase RPM.
Easy check, install a timing light and watch the timing marks as you rev the engine.
Should be identical each and every time and very smooth as the timing moves from your idle setting to max centrifugal advance.
Common problem in boats is rust on the distributor advance weights making them sticky. I have seen this problem twice in friends boats.
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:40pm
What did your manual tell you to set timing to ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic