Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 won't idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 won't idle
    Posted: September-03-2015 at 2:04am
Bad carb gasket, and spacer gasket. Should have been obvious but I'm blaming the sun going down earlier every night(of course the four bolt hole gaskets from Napa wouldn't work no matter how nice and thick and special order it is). Heard for the first time that wonderful deep gargle at idle in the backyard. Now that I'm thoroughly educated on carburetors I'm moving on to some boating this weekend as long as I get all these other issues fixed. Any tips for a first time in the water? Not going to do much cosmetically until the seasons over. Can I run it with out a front cowl and blowers on for a few days this season? It was lost by PO and I can make something but time is of the essence.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:59am
carb, spacer?, intake manifold...
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:31am
That's what it seems like is a vacuum leak. As far as I can see the only vacuum port is for the pcv valve which is good. Where else could a vacuum leak be? New wires, plugs point s and condensor, coil. Timing is set, will research dwell.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:15am
Idle screw adjustment is moot at 2k RPM, you're not running on the idle circuit.

Have you set the dwell and timing and tuned up the ignition system? Always do that first.

Then check for vacuum leaks.
wolfman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:11am
I got the 78 skitique with the 302 running. A bit of background can be found in my intro thread in gd "new cc owner". I can't get idle to steady below 2000 rpm. If it gets any lowerit surges back to like 2500 rpm. In general it's surging and fading. Just wondering if anyone has an idea tof what's wrong. Carb 4160 was cleaned the best I could but the primary bowl wouldn't come off because of a stuck screw. probably going to rebuild unless I find something simple I'm missing, just don't want more down time. I have adjusted idle screws and timing is set. Engine was running goodfiive years ago and have just brought it back from dead. starts on its own andI won't be using any more starter fluid. Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic