NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need an engine guru for 230 OMC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need an engine guru for 230 OMC
    Posted: September-29-2015 at 3:51pm
Scott,
Pull the flame arrestor and check to see if the choke plate is closed when cold. It's electric so see if it's hooked up. Get back to us with what you see. DO NOT use starting fluid as it's a strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

A ignition tune up typically consists of a point set, condenser, rotor and plugs but a distributor cap is sometimes a good idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Scott Pryor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 3:41pm
No, I don't believe we used a spacer/adapter when we put the Holley carb on, but I think there was already a wedge/spacer there? And I'm all ears on the Quadrajet carb conversation...

Again, the boat runs good once it's started. But it's *really* hard to start fresh, I almost always need to pull the flame reducer and put starter fluid in. And once the boat is *hot" (i.e. we've been out running it on the lake for a while, we then stop to swim for a bit, then try to start it back up), won't start, need to get towed in. Also, during acceleration, it sometimes bogs, then kicks back in...

Not sure if I'm describing accurately, but those are some of the issues.

Again, thanks guys...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 3:35pm
Well, I'm not the most versed in engine-related work, but I'm willing to keep talking, and learn along the way if I feel like it's not too daunting. And thanks, in advance, for helping me along...

The reason to put the Holley carb on: don't remember, honestly. Like I said, it was about 8/10 years ago when I bought the boat, my dad may have recommended Holley for some reason... open to suggestions/thoughts on that front.

So, when you say "tune up", what would you recommend? I don't have *any* idea how to tune a carb, but willing to learn. And let me know what you mean by "... distributor check the advance for free movement. Lube it too."

Oh, and here's one more thing: the boat is 4 hours away from me in Northern Michigan, I won't have it reachable until Thanksgiving. So, I may put you guys on hold 'til that time when I can actually begin working on it.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 1:11pm
Did you use a spacer/adaptor to put the Holley on?They will leak and cause all kinds of issues.Have to agree with Pete a good points setup is the way to go.Have had really good luck with Quadrajet on GM motors but that's me lots of people don't like them.Post some pics of that engine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 6:13pm
Scott,
Try doing some of the basic stuff yourself before trying to find a good mechanic. If you run into a problem, we are always around. Fill us in on why you put the new Holley on the engine. Does it run good with the carb? I'm not nor are other members big fans of the EI conversions as they are known for failure. There's nothing wrong with a point set. They have served well for many years. The EI will not improve performance. Give the boat a tune up and while you're in the distributor check the advance for free movement. Lube it too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 5:31pm
I've got a '77 Mustang I've owned for about 10 years, and I've done little to no "upgrading" on the engine which is a 230 OMC. It's got about 480 original hours, it runs okay, but could use some "love" given that it's 38 years old. I think the compression is good (we checked it when we purchased it), We literally tossed on a new Holly carb when we purchased it, I have and electronic ignition that I haven't installed yet, put new spark plug wires, kept the oil changed, etc. But it leaks a little oil (not rate), it starts hard, and sometimes won't start at all when it's hot, etc. So, again, needs some love...

I'm really looking to have someone give the engine a thorough review, make recommendations on what should be done to it, and then actually do the engine work. I'm willing to pull the engine to allow for it to be completely upgraded, but because I'm not "an engine guy", I'd rather have someone knowledgeable make it happen.

I'm in Michigan, and I would love to find a guru to lend a hand somewhere 'round these parts.

Scott.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic