NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaking muffler questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaking muffler questions
    Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:32pm
Guess I could just eliminate the mufflers with straight pipe, but reading the older posts on this subject, sounds like it would be louder. And of course, more expensive. I think the exhaust loudness is just about right at this point. Since the mufflers are in pretty good shape other than one crack, I am leaning towards repairing and replacing the dis-bonded pipe. If I run into problems down the line, good to know they can be taken out. Thanks-
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:03pm
[QUOTE=hughman] Well, in the process of trying to pull the pipe off it has been rotated, but pretty sure the bowl was facing up. When I get to changing the pipe on the other side i can confirm that.[/QUOTE

If you're gonna replace both sides, have you considered just eliminating them instead?
LPSL.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 12:02pm
Like I have stated before,the opening has to be at he bottom like the picture I posted. If you turn it to the top which I think you mean when you say bowl,it will always have water in it which in your case will make the exhaust almost closed off. You are also missing the mirror image baffle too but if your ok with exhaust tone I'd leave it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 11:34am
Well, in the process of trying to pull the pipe off it has been rotated, but pretty sure the bowl was facing up. When I get to changing the pipe on the other side i can confirm that.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 11:04am
If your hose is still attached (stuck on) then you can mock it up and you will know which way the muffler was facing. However, the PO could have changed that, but you will know the way it has been facing since you bought it.   
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 10:51am
Thanks! Nice looking boat! Took the picture of inside the muffler from the exhaust end, it looks like a bowl shape in there, I assume the bowl faces "up" when installed.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 6:54pm
Some mufflers have decals that indicate which end up like these

looking down inside this is the way mine should be mounted,that way they self drain. If a pipe holds water when it's not running it will hold it when it is- which will be like having a smaller pipe

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 2:32pm
At this point it is winterized, and I ran 5 gallons of RV/Marine anti-freeze through it, so should be good. Looking in the muffler from the exhaust end, there is like a "bowl" baffler inside, which I did not expect to see something that interesting. Will try to get a photo tonight to share tomorrow.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 2:17pm
Basically what you need to think of, is there a way for the water to naturally run out? You don't want to hold any inside since it can freeze and damage it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by hughman hughman wrote:

looking inside the muffler from the one end I can see into, it looks like it needs to be in the proper rotation when re-installed?

Hugh,
Yes, the mufflers are oriented so the baffles are on the top.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 12:37pm
I looked closer at the exhaust pipe from the engine to the muffler, looks great from the outside, but you were correct about the inside, photo attached, "disbonding"? So looks like new pipe is in my future. Will have to be real careful getting the old one off. Thanks for the website lead on new pipe supplier, their pricing looks good. And looking inside the muffler from the one end I can see into, it looks like it needs to be in the proper rotation when re-installed?
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 2:02pm
My 92 is way different than that one. But you have it off, so it should be easy to work with. Don't pry when you use the screw driver. Remember you will be prying against fiber glass, and it can easily break, then you have another repair to make.

I had to fix an inlet hole in MY POST.

I noticed one of the last replies on my post mentioned a heat gun to get the hose off. I guess you could use it on the re-install. I have had good luck using soapy water to help rubber items slip into place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 12:52pm
Hugh,
If I can recall, others like Tim B are getting the best pricing on hose from Go2Marine

Getting hose off can be a real pain. I've been there. See if you can slip a small screw driver under the hose at the muffler and then walk it around to break the bond. In extreem cases, I've had to use a cut off wheel in the Dremel to VERY carefully cut the hose lengthwise being careful not to nick past the hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 12:22pm
Great advice, thanks! I did not notice the hose inside looking bad, but will check it again with a flashlight. Any tips on the best way to cut the old one off? Would Ski-dim be the best place to order a new hose? And would you suggest I also replace the one on the other side to be safe?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 12:13pm
Hugh,
Yes, you got lucky that the crack isn't as bad as others have had. Makes sure you grind down the area of the patch to some clean glass. I suggest epoxy resin rather than the polyester. Even though the brand is on the expensive end, Wet System has some kits in small sizes. Check out Jamestown Distributors.

I would strongly consider replacing the exhaust hose. It does dry out with age. What does the inside look like? Any signs of disbonding? ( Per Tim! )

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 11:32am
Thanks-- Took the muffler off, think I found the crack where it is leaking. So wrapping this area with a fiberglass cloth saturated with resin should fix it? Mine seem in batter shape than the ones in the older posts. I could not get the hose off the one end! Rats! Should I replace the hose to the engine I cannot get off? Any thoughts? Thanks-
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2015 at 9:32pm
I have a 92 ski Nautique. It has a big fiberglass tube as the muffler. If yours has that and it's leaking, you can repair it with fiberglass resin and mat from Home Depot. If the hoses are leaking you can get new houses at a boat place get the right measurement and have them cut them for you. They are a muther to get off and re-install.

Couple years ago I was winterizing my boat had a backfire blew the end off of that they scare the hell out of me. But I bought some resin sheet and then the stuff from Home Depot resin, fiberglass mat and put it all back together.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 10:19pm
Hugh,
Several members have repaired them. There are threads on the procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2015 at 9:46pm
New problem. Noticed a small leak this summer, thought
It was a hose, but when winterizing hoses not leaking. Finally
Noticed water bubbling out of the "muffler". Does ski- dim sell
These? Should I replace both? Assume I should replace the
hoses? It is a 1981 ski-nautique. Thanks so much for any help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic