Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

T-stat for 5.7 HO TBI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-stat for 5.7 HO TBI
    Posted: October-22-2015 at 9:28pm
Vince is the man. He figured out the the T-stat was in upside down. I put the new one in the same way I took the old one out. Flipped it over works fine. So i think before i change anything else I will check with him first. Thanks again for the help.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 11:51am
You might be onto something. I think that is what's might be going on. It'spretty hard to see inside all of that housing.
Maybe I can try air pressure or just replace it. Thans for the info.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 10:20am
Pretty sure that's a bypass thermostat so yes it will be open to some extent and fully open when the engine gets hotter. That's all I got for you, call Vince at Skidim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 10:04am
Dave,
When you had the T stat out, did you see any blockage in the housing? There's a by pass port in this housing that is known, if blocked at all will cause over cooling. I did some googling and found there's even a PCM service bulletin out on the problem with their 5.7's.

The front of the engine will be colder since it sees all the cool water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 10:42pm
The temp doesn't even get to 120deg. When you look at this T-stat you can see right thru it. That is what i am trying to tell you it is not like a normal stat. I did take it out on a lake a week ago. It never got near 120. One thing i noticed today while running it on the trailer is that the front of the engine water pump and intake area always is cold. Like 80-90 deg. Checked with a heat gun. But the center of the intake shows 188-190deg. Is something blocked within the cooling system??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 9:26pm
Dave,
What temp is the engine getting up to? Did you happen to diagnose the bad T stat while hooked to the hose running on the trailer? It may not come up to full operating temp unless it's under load out on the water.

Next time, try blowing through the T stat. BTW, the good old tried and true testing method is to put the T stat in water on the stove along with a thermometer. Turn the heat on and see when it opens.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 8:46pm
Maybe I should have looked into the T-stat further. The new one arrived today and it looked
just like the old one. These T-stats don't look like like normal t-stats. As far as what they look like in the closed position. So I installed it anyway. The engine still will not come up to normal operating temp. I ran it today for 20 min. on the trailer. It's not the temp. gauge or sending unit.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 10:58pm
I ordered a new one from skidim. Should have it tomorrow.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 10:56pm
Yes, It is stuck in the full open position. Engine will not come up to normal temp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 8:56pm
Dave,
I have to ask if there's a confirmed problem with the T stat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 7:55pm
My nearest dealer is 1- 1/2 away. So I've been buying most parts online. This engine falls into like a grey area when ordering parts. Even PCM said it's a little odd that this motor a 350 was put in this 96 Nautique.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 7:47pm
Skidim.com has the same one for $104.oo. not 140.00 my bad. and nautiqueparts has a replacement diff. style for $29.45??
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 7:30pm
Have you checked SkiDim's website or simply called your local dealer?

Looks like this one

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 7:29pm

I know it should be 140deg. price online is $140.00. seems like a lot for a t stat. Just want to make sure before I drop $140 on it.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 7:19pm
Does any know the correct T-stat for this engine? It's a 96 TBI electronic dist. no points. I'll try to attach a pic. of the one that is in there now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic