Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring Question SKN'97 with GT-40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring Question SKN'97 with GT-40
    Posted: April-27-2016 at 5:54pm

Thanks for sending the pics. I have now installed the cable. Have decided to drill a new hole in the frame because of the powdercoating that may give a bad earth when using the original holes.

The green wire is now installed as well. Remarkably the tail light was burning without the wire connected to earth, but once connected it showed a bit brighter light.

Ready for the new season. Thanks to you all for your input.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 1:59pm
Man jim you really got your ducks in a row. I usually just start pulling bolts out and throwing them on the floor. Maybe thats why your boat is so nice and mine is not.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 1:07pm

The pictures in the pictures folder may be of some help. Also the L190172 GT40 Owners manual has some wiring diagrams that you don't find on other sites. The manual in my folder used to not be on this site. I don't know if it is now. If not someone should copy it up. I sent it to Keith

Boat Folder
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 6:03pm
Somehow... my first photo loaded upside down and is confusing. The cable end terminates behind the raw water pump (impeller housing) and runs down towards the keel. My pump has a silver arrow drawn on it. You can also see the block drain plug in the photo, it has a bit of rust around it.

I do not see a green wire originating from the stern but I have a 2002 model. I believe there is a green wire on the back side of the alternator. It is difficult to see it.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 5:22pm
There is a black cable that size on the starboard side of my engine. One end bolts on the engine just aft of the raw water pump. The other end bolts to the hull/engine mounting base. Let me know if you need better photos.

2007 Ski
2002 Ski
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

That green wire is likely just a ground for the light on the back. Look at this page to see how it's set up on mine. As long as it's connected on the light side, you can connect it to where the fuel gauge sender is grounded, or run it all the way up to a ground on the block. Up to you. I believe the setup up showing you is the original setup for a 93 though.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31430&title=wiring-fuel-sending-unit

Thanks for your help. very appreciated!
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 6:04pm

Thank you for the tip to review the info on www.nautiqueparts.com. It does not bring me any further to the solution however. As you my have noticed there is no connection for the larger black wire on the starter relay. Both the large red wire and the small yellow-red wire go to the starter. (you can see that on the pictures of the starter as well) Others are for computer or coil and a wire that comes from the neutral witch on the transmission.

Hose clamps are indeed not yet installed. Am not gonna start the engine before i have been able to remount the larger black cable in its original position. (Just to be sure) Nobody that can check on his/her GT40 engine to help me out?
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2016 at 5:54pm
The last picture shows the upper end of the fiberglass exhaust tube is missing 2 hose clamps.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2016 at 4:12pm
That green wire is likely just a ground for the light on the back. Look at this page to see how it's set up on mine. As long as it's connected on the light side, you can connect it to where the fuel gauge sender is grounded, or run it all the way up to a ground on the block. Up to you. I believe the setup up showing you is the original setup for a 93 though.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31430&title=wiring-fuel-sending-unit
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2016 at 4:08pm
This should help you a little. Click on the second picture. I was going to paste the picture directly for you, but it shows up upside down unless you go to the page:

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/solenoidstarterrelay-1.aspx
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2016 at 2:58pm

Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2016 at 2:55pm
Have been able to take some pics of the starter relay and the starter. Length of the heavier black cable could fit between the relay and the starte. Can however not remember that i disconnected it on the relay or starter side. Green cable that comes from the back is as well still an issue,   Could not find wiring schemes for this part of the boat. Hope anyone with a GT-40 is able to check on his/her boat and give me the solution.
Thanks in advance !
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2016 at 2:50pm
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2016 at 11:49am
The starter should be grounded to the block. But remember the starter is not mounted on the block it is mounted on the aluminum bell housing that encases the flywheel. I recently had a new starter that would not function. It was bolted to a freshly painted bell housing. The problem was tracked to a poor ground (earth).

Good Luck!

Steve
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 9:04pm
For that heavier black wire, can you give us a picture of the situation as it stands now, with the starter wiring, and the remote relay wiring?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 7:28pm
Jan,
Just because the cable is black, don't assume it's for the ground. (earth)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 7:26pm
I will check, but was assuming that the earth for the starter is provided by the block, given the fact that the starter is mounted "bare metal" to the block and the earth from the battery is connected to the block. Thanks for the advise anyway, will for sure check it out!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 7:20pm
Jan,
On the 10 to 12" cable, could it be from the starter to the start relay (solenoid)?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 7:14pm
@63 Skier: Bought our boat in the Netherlands in 2003. Motor and mounts have become very rusty since then, so i took the engine and trnsmission ou,, including the alu frame. Got the frame powdercoated to stop the corrosion. Forgot to take enough pictures...... Season i starting so i have to finish this soon.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 7:05pm
Welcome to the site Jan! Did you find your boat in the Netherlands or have to import it?

I think you've got it right on the small green wire, neither the nav light nor fuel sender have a natural ground so likely one or both, but I would think if you remove the back seat you can see where it goes.. Or, if you have accent lights below the gunwales, could be from there. Not sure on the big black cable. I'll take a look at my boat later and see if I can make sense of it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 6:33pm
It would probably be beneficial for us if you posted some pictures and also traced that green wire instead of us guessing. 1997 was a long time ago, anything could have happened.
Dzjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dzjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 6:31pm
Did an overhaul on my SKN'97 with GT-40 last winter, but have 2 remaining issues to solve.

1) I have a black cable, (same thickness as the earth cable that comes from the battery,) about 10-12 inches long and I forgot the location. It this an earth cable that connects the engine to the aluminium frame that holds the motor? If so, where to remount?

2) Can anyone tell me where to reconnect the green wire that comes from the back, assuming this is the eart cable from the tank sender or else from the navigation ligth at the back. Is this wire conected to the aluminium frame or to the motor

Anyone able to make a picture and send it to me?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic