NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEW DISTRIBUTOR ???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW DISTRIBUTOR ???
    Posted: April-28-2016 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by D&C1988 D&C1988 wrote:

Just wanted to be sure that spinning it the opposite direction wouldn't cause a problem .

You won't be spinning it in the opposite direction. Looking down on the distributor it will still spin counterclockwise. The camshaft and crankshaft go opposite of an auto engine, that is why you need the RR gear. It turns the dist. in the PROPER direction. Just verify that looking at the FRONT of the engine that it spins CCW.
Then all you need is a RR gear with the corresponding I.D.
I have a new spare gear that is a .550 id. that is bushed to .464 id. It can be bushed to any size.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2016 at 3:29pm
Sounds good. Just wanted to be sure that spinning it the opposite direction wouldn't cause a problem with the advance weights or points. If just swapping a gear takes care of thing I ok with that.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 6:45am
You will certainly need a RR gear. Determine the shaft size and obtain proper gear. We went thru this in detail a few months back. Gears can be bushed or bored to fit the shaft. Mic the shaft. I have one new spare gear RR. Usually have to re-drill the cross hole as there seems to be no set dimension used.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 10:39pm
Can anyone tell me if this will work on my 88 RR 351
I can already see I will need a gear if the photo has not been inverted,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Prestolite-7020S-Ford-351W-Point-Type-Marine-Distributor-E5JL-12100-CA-/371604090076?hash=item5685546cdc:g:0vYAAOSwL7VWkVRV&vxp=mtr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic