Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replace 351w with a 454??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace 351w with a 454??
    Posted: May-25-2016 at 5:50pm
45 1/2 "" 454 w/72c Was sitting in shop taking break and remembered this question coming up Serious delayed reaction. Easy enough with it sitting on stand.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 9:17am
Engine mounts are in a different location so the stringers would have to be modified to through bolt the mounts to the cradle. Small block motorbox will not fit over the big block. Driveshaft length may be different and you'd need a new prop. There may be some cooling line and fuel line modifications needed as well.

It's definitely not a plug and play, the motorbox and stingers are the most difficult part, the rest just costs money. Where is the engine located? What is wrong with your current engine? I may have a small block ford PCM that would work for you, and I would have interest in that big block. Email me: TRBenj@gmail.com
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 4:04am
The stringer failure is due to moisture, has nothing at all to do with the engine.
I am not 100% sure but I have seen several 454 powered Ski Nautiques and I am not aware of any structural changes to the basic boat. You would need the full 454 and all accessories including the engine mounts and stringer mounts. I don't know if the 351 stringer hardware will work with 454 mounts. Someone here will know.
The Exhaust system will be unique so get as much of that with the engine also.
Assuming both engines are carbureted that would be a minor issue.
Fire3456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fire3456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 3:33am
I'm still trying to decide what to do with my 86 Ski Nautique with a bad 351w.

I was just offered a PCM 454 with transmission that was out of a 86 Ski Nautique.

The motor and transmission are 5-6 hours away so I haven't been able to go and take measurements. The owner doesn't know much about the boat except it ran excellent before the stringers "rotted/broke" in the hull. Unfortunately he doesn't even know the length of the boat. He's "Sure it the engine will work in my boat" but there's no way I'm taking his word for it. It's definitely can't be a simple replacement...if its even possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if it's possible to replace my 351 set up with a 454 set up? I know there's definitely a size difference and weight difference.
   Is it possible to put new motor mounts in the stringers, and will there be enough room for a big block?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this? I'm going to hit a auto salvage yard to measure how long a big block 454 is compared to a .smaller 351.

Does anyone know if the Ski Nautiques with 454's were in a longer boat than one with a 351? I honestly can't imagine a big block and transmission fitting into the space where my 351 was. Maybe cutting the floor between the stringers could make room for the engine?

Hopefully I'll be making a long trip to go look at the engine set up. BTW...he sold the boat already (It had bad/broken stringers) and is motivated to sell the engine and transmission.
I just thought of something....Were the stringers damaged because of the weight or torque of a 454??????? Hmmmmmmmmm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic