NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front Seal Clarification

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Seal Clarification
    Posted: May-27-2016 at 5:00pm
go up and fix your second link, you did 17166 twice

thanks for sharing the info
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:33pm
Just wanted to post a picture of Fel-17795 for anyone looking at this in the future.

My "Marine" kit came with a standard rotation seal, which was confusing because it had the same directional oil lines as the one in my engine, maybe by the PO? Mystery unsolved for now.

The correct RR seal is below, and it is SMOOTH with no wick lines.

mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:15pm
Well I called Fel-Pro technical hotline and they said the kit I bought Fel-17166 is for standard rotation only

If that's true, was my old seal the wrong one maybe from the previous owner?

I guess 17795 is the correct front seal then? no wick lines?

Fel-17166
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Reverse rotation one piece seals have always been available from PCM. The new deal should be fine as long as it doesn't wildly change the installed depth of the seal surface on the crank nose.

I thought that too but Skidim only lists a "smooth seal, with no lip" "Older ones have ribs with lip". What makes it reverse rotation if there are no oil wick/helix lines?

I'm still confused why the wick lines on both the new one and old one look like they would pull the oil out?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:36pm
Reverse rotation one piece seals have always been available from PCM. The new deal should be fine as long as it doesn't wildly change the installed depth of the seal surface on the crank nose.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:16pm
My felpro kit came with multi piece pan gasket, I ordered the one piece marine pan gasket separately
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:15pm
Yes i just realized that 83 was the change year, mine is an 83 with a newer than that block.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

rear seal is one piece not two.   
Hard to find the one piece reverse rotation seal.   I found one through a web site called
Ericsparts.com   Think this is it anyhow.   

My rear seal is a two piece 100%. It was made before they switched to the one piece. Wick lines are in the crank so an automotive 2 piece will work. See this thread
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:01pm
rear seal is one piece not two.   
Hard to find the one piece reverse rotation seal.   I found one through a web site called
alexsparts.com   Think this is it anyhow.   
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 1:27pm
'82 351W Rebuild Full thread

I received my Bottom end marine gasket set from Summit (Fel Pro Set), and I knew I would have to buy a separate rear seal to get the correct two piece design, (kit came with 1 piece), but I thought the front seal would be the same.

The oil flow wick lines rotate in the same direction, but the new one has an outer lip and looks different.

Do I need to order this Fel-Pro 17795 seal? Or will my new one with the larger lip work?

**EDIT**
Also, I'm looking at this and these wick lines and my RH rotation seem like they would pull oil out?? Or am I not picturing it correctly?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic