Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Points
    Posted: July-29-2016 at 2:13pm
Dustin,
How slow (RPM) is "slower" and how long is it taking to warm up? Have you watched to see how the choke is working?

How about some pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Little one View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 12:45pm
It runs slower when it warms up could this be carburetor adjustments or jets?
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:41am
Electronic conversions work for some and a nightmare for others-POINTS !!!!
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:37am
Goes faster after warm up due to hotter oil having less drag? Ore fuel atomizing better?

Just guessing . . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 9:34pm
Hi I installed the Prestolite electronic conversion in a 88 2001 Ski Nautique probably 15 years ago. It was the best upgrade I have done. I replace points and condenser and plugs every year, set the dwell, timing etc. Still never started as quick as it does with the electronic upgrade. I did not upgrade for years because it was so cheap to tune up and I had all the tools. But the electronic upgrade was Awesome. Hope you enjoy it, you will never go back.

Frank
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:54am
No wiring has been changed ballast resistor is still in line to the distributor, I bought this boat last year and for some reason it has no thermostat engine always runs at 120degrees unless it is given wide open throttle and when engine temperature reaches around 160 That is when the drop off in performance begins, any ideas why?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:49am
Pleasurecraft 302 New points and condenser last year I have not checked the coil to see if it is getting hot
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 10:08am
Dustin,
I doubt the heat issue will be affecting the points. They are simply a switch turning the coil on and off. When you notice the problem, is the coil getting real hot to the point you can barely touch it? Just wondering if it's breaking down? Has any wiring to the coil been changed? Is the coil still wired through ballast resistor? BTW, what engine is in the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:38am
Actually I am asking this question because if i start up the boat and run it at wot it will run 48 mph once it warms up it will only run about 43 mph could this drop in performance be due to the points?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 5:56pm
Dustin,
If you expect a performance gain by using a conversion, don't! Stick with the points.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 4:45pm
If you go EI, get the top shelf option (DUI). The cheap ones seem to have reliability problems.

You really can't justify EI with $. If you like high tech, by all means do it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 2:29pm
Most here will tell you to stick with the points. So continue to use points. Cheap, easy to fix, cheap, years of service. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 2:26pm
I have a 77 ski Tique which is better way to go factory points or electronic ignition?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic