NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W Timing set 30 degrees advanced

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W Timing set 30 degrees advanced
    Posted: August-12-2016 at 10:38am
The fact that it wont hot crank at 30 suggests the timing marks are indeed correct.

Any of these engine will smooth out and idle faster if one cranks the timing, I don't feel its data to the problem. Its equivelent to adding in vacuum advance.

Best Set timing and fix the carburation.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 1:41pm
Keno, you explained it better than I. He has something off if it needs 30 at idle to run.
Balancers can fail and the outer ring with the timing numbers can shift. This is an 89.
I have never seen this in a boat but it is fairly common issue in classic cars from the 60's.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Looking down on the front of the engine, at the fan belts look at your two heads. One is about and inch forward of the other. The forward head will have the number one cylinder in it.   The first forward spark plug on that side is what you time to.
Check all 8 plug wires and the fire order for a 351W, not the same as a 302.
At 30 advanced at idle you will damage engine internals. Fix it first then go play.
Hope this helps.

MrMcD you might want to clarify the statement about 302 firing orders 'cause what you said ain't exactly right. If you said SOME 302 firing orders that would make sense. And if you use the old 302 firing order you're thinking of it would be struggling to even run.

If he was on a wrong plug with the timing light,he'd be off by a country mile or so on any other cylinder. (edit except #6 which will look the same but who in their right mind would put a timing light on #6? This is on a 351w LH or RH that this holds true)

For the original poster (89 Supreme), if your timing at idle reads 30 degrees BTDC, what do you get at 3000 rpm, it must be off scale on the graduations on the harmonic balancer and up in the 50-55 degree range if your advance mechanism is working right. (30 initial plus 20-25 from the flyweights)

If you have 30 initial and about 35 at 3000 rpm, I'd be looking at the flyweights and springs for the advance mechanism even if it is a freshly installed NOS distributor.

I've had broken springs in a Prestolite give these numbers (30 at idle and about 35 at 3000 rpm.) I had set timing for 35 total and at idle it was about 30 and a little searching found the smaller of the 2 flyweight springs broken

Did you check that your balancer reads 0 when at TDC on #1?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 2:18am
Looking down on the front of the engine, at the fan belts look at your two heads. One is about and inch forward of the other. The forward head will have the number one cylinder in it.   The first forward spark plug on that side is what you time to.
Check all 8 plug wires and the fire order for a 351W, not the same as a 302.
At 30 advanced at idle you will damage engine internals. Fix it first then go play.
Hope this helps.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 12:23am
Sure you've got the timing pickup on #1?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
89Supreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Supreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 12:12am
Thanx for the reply.

The thing is that adjusting the timing while underway is how I get to 30 degrees.

The idle isa adjusted after coming out of full throttle operation,

Total agree that this is a great way to burn things up,

Motor doesn't ping or seem to complain but the only way to get any performance out of it is to advance the timing that far.

Having difficulty understanding how carburation issues would cause severely advance timing to run right but will rebuild carb just to eliminate as a concern.

Just trying to rationalize conditions.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 10:56am
Best set the timing to 10-12 btdc at 700 rpm or so.

The rest of the issues sounds like carburation problems.

Yes you rill get max idle rpm at 30 btdc, but you will not hot start and crack a piston at ski speeds in short order.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
89Supreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Supreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 6:41pm
Hello,

Have a troublesome timing issue that just doesn't seem to make much sence.

Purchased used - 1989 Ski Supreme Commander 351W

Ran boat on trailer and it sounded OK considering having sat for an unknown number of years.

Put unit in the water and it stumbled quite a bit off idle. On the way from the launch to the dock loosened the distributor and "adjusted" till it ran well.

Carb was dripping so the stuttering I chalked up to carb issues.

Cleaned carb and adjusted floats to get it running smoother.

When a timing light was attached it registered approx. 30 degrees BTDC. Not where I was expecting considering 6 degrees is what it should be.

As expected starting the motor with that much advance is a challenge. Starter tries but unless you cross your fingers it may not fire.

When cold boat fires up and idles well. Takes off pretty well (occasional stumble).

Looked into distributor and the mechanism appears to be free but the springs looked "crusty" so I decided that it would be easier to replace with a NOS unit from EBAY than go through a recurving process considering I was on a tight schedule to get this thing going.
The distributor on the boat had been modified with the Pertronix Igniter setup and the resistor removed.
Replaced the distributor and boat ran pretty much exactly the same and still required the 30 advance to function.

When timing the reading is stable (no shake) and put a wrench on the crank and checked timing chain play and didn't experience any "slop" when watching the rotor.

The new distributor had arrived with new points and condenser so after messing with the electronic conversion decided to put the points in and try it. Retained the Flame Thrower coil (1.5 ohm) and ran without a ballast for the weekend.

Boat runs the same .......

Temp stays around 170 according to the existing gauge so it's not running hot.

Driveability is good just don't shut it down.

I am going to verify TDC and have more than once checked the firing order.
Going to remove the valve covers and verify that the firing order matches the action of the valves.

Looking for suggestions................

Thanx

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic