Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40: Hot Idle Loping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40: Hot Idle Loping
    Posted: May-27-2020 at 9:44am
For future troubleshooting reference I want to mention that I also had an intermittent oscillating idle after the engine was warm. Thanks to gun-driver’s insights in the 3rd post up above, I replaced the MAP sensor and idle is now smooth.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 9:08pm
Take any pressure off the line by bleeding off through the schrader valve. If the boat hasn't been run in awhile probably only a pound or two in the system if any.
IIRC it was a 3/16 allen head bring some absorbent towels because there will be some fuel that leaks out. I would blow out the vacuum line from the map sensor end in case there was fuel in the line.
SteveHookEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 8:56pm
@gun-driver I bought the part. Before I head over to install it, do I need to bleed the line? I don't have any special tools. The YouTube videos all show a vacuum bleed tool removing the pressure off the fuel line first.

Also, what regular tools do I need to pull this? Is it connected with allen screws to the the three holes on the backing plate or flat or phillips head?

Anything else I should know? Thanks for the help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:48am
I'm guessing this is the one for a 1995 GT-40 as well.
Advance Auto Parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Easy peezy lemon squeezey

I hate technical jargon. haha
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 6:00pm
Easy peezy lemon squeezey
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 5:46pm
From another thread:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Yes but I don't think that is your problem is the idle oscillating then stalling?
Autozone/car quest # BWD 21704 OR
You can ask for a regulator from a '92 Ford 5.8L Bronco or F250
Make sure it has the triangle base three screw mount the newer ones are two screw mounts

Not sure on difficulty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 4:36pm
Fuel pressure regulator--do it myself or above my level? haha

Do you have that part number?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 4:29pm
No you don't have to do anything to the ECA.
You may want to check your Fuel Pressure Regulator. One of the similar posts found his regulator to be bad causing fuel to migrate up the vacuum line (which shares the same line as the map sensor) causing erratic idle ( loping )
$20 at autozone

Thanks for the follow up.
We try to figure out these problems and a lot of times the poster never gives a follow up so we don't know if the recommended fix worked or not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 4:17pm
Hey,

OK got it installed easily and tested on the lake Friday. It seems that the loping is gone! But I am now having some other issues pop up that never happened before. Starting then dying immediately. Then it starts fine. And sometimes idling at 1200-1300rpm. Not all the time. When it does come down to about 800, it's not all over the place anymore.

When you put on the new part, do you need to do any other tuning to the computer to let it know?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 1:26pm
Any feed back on if this was solved and or what was the fix????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 6:30pm
Yea that's not where it is on ours the rest is pretty close.
Theory of operation starts on 2a-17
You may want to also check your fuel pressure regulator that   just fixed rough idle/stall problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:11pm
@gun-driver: Maybe I'm looking at a different service manual for the GT-40. I don't see a reference section or anything that says "theory of operation". I have the pdf file that I downloaded from here. The diagram that has the arrows pointing out the different parts is at the front of my manual and shows the MAP to be on the driver's side, front next to the EEC System Relay and STO/STI Connectors. It is shown in section 2A.

Is this the same location you said to look? When the part arrives, I'm heading over to install.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 11:07pm
Front passenger side of the air intake right behind the air cleaner, has a vacuum hose going to it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 4:02pm
@gun-driver When you get a chance, can you pull back a little in your photo so I can see where this is located on my GT-40? I'm at home, boat in the storage so I'd like to know where to look when I get over there. It seems all I need is a flat head screw driver.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 1:10pm
Alright! RockAuto Airtex model for $39.99! In the OEM part list, it shows the sticker part number and the part number the local guy gave you. Done.

Thanks for the help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 11:47am
Ford or auto parts store
Here's a picture with part number you could probably call ford to cross reference to current part number
Called my local he said that part is NLA from Ford he gave me this number and said a Napa or other would be able to cross reference off E7DZ-9F479-A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 11:04am
Looks like something I can do! PlanetNautique wants $259 for the Map Sensor. I hate to spend that much on something that may not be the cause. Any suggestions for a different source for the part?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 11:59pm
Yes it's mounted to the front of throttle body, it has the vacuum line going to it. Pretty much plug and play.
It would help you understand where things are and what they do if you look over the GT-40 service manual in the reference section. It's in the manual section at the bottom.
There's a picture that points to all the parts and if you read the section called Theory of operation it gives you a simple understanding of what does what even for the non-mechanical minded.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 11:27pm
I'm not a mechanic. I wish I could do some of this myself but I have to rely on others. I did, however, replace the idle air control valve---and felt very proud of myself. It didn't fix it, but at least it's a new one. haha

@gun-driver: is the map sensor something I can replace myself or does it require using special equipment (I likely don't have) to do it? If it requires putting any kind of computer to the engine after, I can't do that.

I appreciate the help! I wish you guys were in Houston! I don't have anyone here that knows this motor other than my shop.

Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:31pm
Failed Map sensor will cause the idle to oscillate and motor may stall according to the manual in the reference section
ECT, ACT or TP sensor fail will cause 800 instead of 600 RPM idle.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 7:44pm
Did you read the poor man's GT40 diagnostic thread. I know they mention the ECM or Fuel relay as another possible cause.

Any other issues with the boat?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 5:07pm
My GT40 has 340 hours. It runs like a Swiss watch from hole shot to full power and everything in between. Really runs great!

Except after it warms up, we stop for a bit and restart. At that point, the idle is all over the place! Over 1000, down to almost stalling, back up and repeat. Very, very frustrating. And it seems to smoke some at this point too. It still has no hesitation and runs great at speed even when the idle is doing this.

I have searched the forum, read the many threads about this. I found one promising thread that stated to replace the idle air control valve. Did that. No luck.

Is this just going to be the way it is? Even my (very respected) repair shop here couldn't get this right.

Any suggestions appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic