Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2005 Mercruiser 4.3 190 hp Won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2005 Mercruiser 4.3 190 hp Won't Start
    Posted: August-30-2016 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

just make sure you get a digital one. Much nicer. .

I have a tendency to disagree. Unless you go high end digital with a "save" function, the cheap digitals will not pick up momentary readings. With an analog, you can always see a needle twitch.

fair and valid point.

I guess based on the smaller analog that I have, it's much harder to see a difference between 11.4v and 11.8v. I should breakout the ole analog with my next amp project :)
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

just make sure you get a digital one. Much nicer. .

I have a tendency to disagree. Unless you go high end digital with a "save" function, the cheap digitals will not pick up momentary readings. With an analog, you can always see a needle twitch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 12:46pm
meters can be pretty cheap for simple tests. So no need to get a Fluke :)   Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot, Amazon, etc... will have them. The analogs use to be less expensive, not sure if you can even get one, but just make sure you get a digital one. Much nicer.

If you ever have to deal with points or want to get tach readings...Amazon had a decent one for $35 to measure dwell/tach. I picked it up and tend to use it often since it has a nice big display. My other one is an Innova that has LEDs for battery testing too.

Here is the one i got for dwell/tach

And here is my go to VOM My dad actually got this one back in the mid 90's and still is going strong.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 9:50am
There may be a 10 amp push button breaker on the engine. Check that. Also check the harness plug on the engine.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 9:38am
I found a wiring harness diagram and it is pretty much useless. I'm looking for a better one.

I haven't tested the ignition switch itself yet. I was called over pretty late in the day and my neighbor was having a family reunion so a lot of onlookers and not much input.

Unfortunately my meter(was my Dad's) got packed up and put into storage. If anyone has a suggestion where the best place for me to buy a good cheap one that would be great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 11:22pm
Just keep in mind that connections are only a small part of the equation. Yes most electrical issues are from loose/corroded connections, but the electricity can't flow without the WIRE. Corrosion in the wire from a small nick can lead to resistance and voltage drops incompatible with the starter to do it's thing. Inspect and test your wires too. I highly doubt this is the issue, but good to be thorough and eliminate all things as you move along.

also, have you searched for a wiring diagram for that boat? That would help figure out how the dash is wired. In the earlier CCs for example, the nav, bilge, horn, blower, and clock are tied to the ignition breaker, the gauges, ignition part of the stereo, and starter are tied to the ignition switch. So, thinking that way...have you tested the ignition switch?
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 7:06pm
Battery connection is fine. Not much corrosion and it is on tight. I started looking around the starter and all the connections seem fine. The part that makes me want to say it is a fuse it that the gauges don't work nor the radio. I took the dash panel out and check the ignition connections and one was a little loose. Tightened it up and still nothing. The fuses in the panel under the dash are all fine.   

The boat is in Maine and I'm at work in MA. I'll be up there bright and early Saturday. I don't have internet up there so I figured I'd get some Ideas now and start digging into it on Saturday..
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

It is dead. won't turn over, no clicking or anything. It is like the battery is disconnected.

Is the battery disconnected?

Or loose, or corroded.   Sometimes accessories run off separate smaller wires, and sometimes the connection is so poor that everything will work other than the starter.

IF you are willing to go out there with a meter we can walk you through the steps to check where its broken ... if not you got to just look at the obvious stuff.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 6:37pm
Sorry about that. Typing these up I get a little ahead of myself.

It is dead. won't turn over, no clicking or anything. It is like the battery is disconnected.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 6:27pm
John,
Just to clarify, the engine won't start but will turn over/crank. There are some that mix up the terms.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 6:26pm
It is intact. I actually played around with it to see if it might be the issue.
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 6:18pm
This probably isn't the fix but just in case make sure the safety tether is connected.   
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 5:48pm
I know it isn't a CC but my neighbor's 2005 19ft Stingray 190 hp 4.3 V6 Mercruiser will not start and I am in hopes that someone has encountered this issue and can be of some help.

So the Battery is 100% charged. The bilge, horn, trim, nav lights, and blower all work. The stereo and gauges are dead. I turn the key and nothing. I went on the hunt for fuses and found one that was blown. It was a 20 amp on top of the engine. (It was late in the evening and I had to leave so my descriptions will be somewhat limited). I replaced it and nothing. I pushed the relay on the back of the engine. Nothing.

After crawling around the boat, there seems to be fuses scattered here and there. Am I missing one? There are also these grounding points that aren't connected on the top of the engine, but, they don't look like they have ever been connected to anything.

It is a low hour boat that isn't really used much. My neighbor took his family on a lake cruise for about two hours and never went over 5 mph. Docked the boat, shut it off, and that was it. One hour later it wouldn't start.

I did play with the shifter and the kill switch as well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The boat ramp is five + miles down the lake and we have to go under a very narrow bridge.   I've towed people to the ramp before. It isn't fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic