NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Issue (?) GT40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Issue (?) GT40
    Posted: September-09-2016 at 12:56am
Trip with the GT40 a good investment is a fuel pressure gauge. The ECU assumes there is enough fuel pressure to run injectors.
If you cycle the key on and off a few times you should see 39 +or - 3 lbs with key on but engine not running. When idling it should be 31 +-3lbs. The "schrader" valve to measure this at is on the fuel rail. If you have a FCC there is another valve there.

Your problem may be blocked lines or bad fuel. A replacement of the fuel filter and flush of lines would be recommended. Also running from a small fuel container with known good fuel rules out problems with tanks and lines.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 4:40pm
No way in h3ll to unscrew the pick-up. Any tricks here, do they happen to go in 'reverse' direction, anything else?

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 4:42pm
Thanks!

Another thing I'll first check is fuel pick-up. Had that issue with my 2001, was clogged. Hope it's as easy to pull it as it was in the 2001.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 3:27pm
Try starting and then running with your gas cap really loose to see if you have a vent problem. If your tank vent is not working it forms a vacuum and cuts off your fuel supply.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 1:15pm
Just recently got my 'new' Super Sport. During the test-drive in the States it ran out of fuel. After filling up it ran fine without any issues.
When I put it in the lake here it started up great, idled for a while, but then when we started wakeboarding it started 'hesitating' within 10 minutes. I had only put a few liters of fuel in it so figured it ran out of fuel again (non-working fuel gauge is one of few things that I knew need attention) and went back to the dock.
When I filled it up only one can of 32 liters (8-ish gallon) went in before the tank was full. So that was obviously not the issue.
Rode a bit again and same issue, now with stalling of the engine. Every time it started, ran for a second or two, and died again.
Cleaned out the fuel filter/water separator several times until no dirt or water came out anymore. It started better and better, and kept running longer, but still gave the same issue after a little while (minute or so) of running. So it seems that cleaning the filter did help, though it could also be the engine cooling off (?, or something else of course).

When it ran it ran fine. Temp was perfect.

What do you guys think? What next to check? Are there more fuel filters, and where?
Boat arrived 2 days before I went on vacation so I don't really know it yet. I'll be back home on Wednesday so I'm hoping to have a plan for when I get back.

Thanks y'all!
Oh yeah, cause we all like photos:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic