NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dead Boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Boat
    Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:16am
Hello All,

Just wanted to post an update. I replaced the 3 way switch last week and everything is working how it should be. Thanks for the help.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 4:45pm
Thanks for all the advice. It does seem I got lucky and noticed it early enough that I didn't do any damage.

I'll replace the impeller next time I'm out on the boat.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Ajskier Ajskier wrote:

I actually didn't have to get the volt meter out. When my buddy and I were taking the plate off to get to the switch, I wiggled the wires and miraculously I had power at the dash and was able to enter my code and the boat turned over. However any slight movement of the switch the power kicked off again. So common sense would tell me that it is the switch that is bad, but thank you for your help.

I will be sure to post an update once I have thrown the new switch at it and let you know if it is working.

Ok, the old wiggle the wires trick! I seem to remember that was a suggestion from Russian ground control up to one of their space craft back several years! So, how did you determine the switch was bad and it just isn't a bad connection or a bad crimp on connector? Better get that VOM out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

what I have been able to determine it does seem like it is the 3 way switch that went bad.   

Aaron,
You say it "seems" like the switch is bad so it seems like you didn't get the VOM out and test? So I guess it seems like you are going to start throwing parts?   

I actually didn't have to get the volt meter out. When my buddy and I were taking the plate off to get to the switch, I wiggled the wires and miraculously I had power at the dash and was able to enter my code and the boat turned over. However any slight movement of the switch the power kicked off again. So common sense would tell me that it is the switch that is bad, but thank you for your help.

I will be sure to post an update once I have thrown the new switch at it and let you know if it is working.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 1:01am
Listen to these guys...I did with a trouble shooting issue, and they REALLY help you get to the root of the problem, which is sometimes, much cheaper in the long run, than just starting to throw time, money and parts at a problem.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 12:53am

what I have been able to determine it does seem like it is the 3 way switch that went bad.   

Aaron,
You say it "seems" like the switch is bad so it seems like you didn't get the VOM out and test? So I guess it seems like you are going to start throwing parts?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2016 at 5:10pm
Well, I have found a little time to dig into this issue. From what I have been able to determine it does seem like it is the 3 way switch that went bad. I have a new one on order and will post a follow up once I get it installed.
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Don't know what year boat you have.
Is there a big circuit breaker on the engine ?
Kill switch ?

I am very sorry that I didn't include the year of boat. Yesterday was a bad day, so after I brought the boat home, my jack stand broke as well. Not a good day.

It is a model year 2001 Ski Nautique with the GT-40 engine. I did check the breakers on the back of the motor and they were not tripped. I also check the breakers that are under the dash and none of them were tripped either.
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 12:51pm

Aaron,
Duane's suggestion above is also mine. Actually getting a VOM and doing some testing before throwing parts at the problem was suggested to you before:

Gottaski, can you tell me how to confirm the style of switch it is.

Actually Tom did,
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Historically, standard kill switches kill the engine by closing when pulled,, grounding the ignition, and is a NO switch until activated.

To confirm, you can get the VOM out to check if it's NO like Tom mentioned or NC. That would also confirm if the kill switch is good or bad.

They are inexpensive and a fantastic diagnostic tool.

BTW, we never heard back from you regarding the previous kill switch problem. Was the problem the kill switch or the low pressure pump? We always like to hear if we were able to help. Here's the thread

I am very sorry that I never posted a final follow up to my previous post. It ended up being my low pressure pump.

As for my current issue, even if the kill switch is bad, wouldn't it let the power to the key pads come on, i.e. I could honk the horn, run the blower, turn my nav lights on? None of the pads are working.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 11:42am
Don't know what year boat you have.
Is there a big circuit breaker on the engine ?
Kill switch ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 7:24am
Aaron,
Duane's suggestion above is also mine. Actually getting a VOM and doing some testing before throwing parts at the problem was suggested to you before:

Gottaski, can you tell me how to confirm the style of switch it is.

Actually Tom did,
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Historically, standard kill switches kill the engine by closing when pulled,, grounding the ignition, and is a NO switch until activated.

To confirm, you can get the VOM out to check if it's NO like Tom mentioned or NC. That would also confirm if the kill switch is good or bad.

They are inexpensive and a fantastic diagnostic tool.

BTW, we never heard back from you regarding the previous kill switch problem. Was the problem the kill switch or the low pressure pump? We always like to hear if we were able to help. Here's the thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 7:17am

Hello all, i am in need of some help.
I have checked and cleaned my battery terminals, went and had the battery tested and it is good.
1) if the 3 way switch took a dump, would the bilge option still light and work?
3) I have read were some people have said it was the actual battery cables that have gone bad. Would bad cables allow the bilge pump to come on?
I really appreciate the help in advanced. Thank you, ​​​​​​​AJ

Get out your VOM (aka. volt,ohm,meter) and check resistance from one end of cable to the other. Yes, they can carry enough to operate a light or perhaps a blower but that's all, providing they are bad. Check all cables.
As another respected member will ask: Starting Battery or Deep Cycle???
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 11:58pm
Hello all,

i am in need of some help. I went out skiing this morning and the boat started up fine and ran top notch. This afternoon I went to take my wife and son out to the beach. However, when we out the boat in, I went to enter the code and start it up, it was dead. I flipped the PEM three way switch back to all off, then flipped it back up to all on and tried to enter my code it did nothing again. I noticed that the green lights were not blinking when I tried to enter the code. I checked to see if the horn or blower would work and they did not as well.   I flipped the 3 way switch all the way down to bilge only and the light came on and I heard the pump kick on. Then tried to flip it back to full on again and then enter the code, still nothing. I have checked and cleaned my battery terminals, went and had the battery tested and it is good.

So after reading some of the post on here and Planet nautique. I have a few questions that I am hoping you can answer.

1) if the 3 way switch took a dump, would the bilge option still light and work?
2) if the key pad is bad, is there a way to test to see if it is getting the proper power or is there a good way to truly diagnose that it is the key pad? They are expensive and I don't want to replace it to just replace it.
3) I have read were some people have said it was the actual battery cables that have gone bad. Would bad cables allow the bilge pump to come on?
4) is there anything else that I should be checking? I just don't want to throw parts at the problem.

I really appreciate the help in advanced.

Thank you,

​​​​​​​AJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic