Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2003 Excalibur Going Into Limp Home Mode on Getup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2003 Excalibur Going Into Limp Home Mode on Getup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2003 Excalibur Going Into Limp Home Mode on Getup
    Posted: September-16-2016 at 3:18pm
I'll throw one more idea out there. It's not based on any past experience, just something that occurred to me as a possibility.

Maybe the oil level is low? And when you hammer the boat to take off hard, the oil is sloshing back more, and giving you a temporary drop in oil pressure, that trips the limp system.
Blender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 10:17pm
Ok, Thanks, I already bought a new rotor and cap and will put it in tomorrow. I'll let you know.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Blender Blender wrote:

The engine does not miss at all,

The miss may be so brief that you don't notice it but the ECM does. Try the new cap and rotor as CQ has mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 9:58pm
Thanks for the replies. The engine does not miss at all, even in the limp home mode. If I don't accelerate quickly, the boat runs great and has plenty of power. If I accelerate quickly, the fault appears. My guess is one of the sensors on the engine is failing. The fault is very reproducible. We are simply pulling skiers up easier and the boat runs fine. It's just like when I was a kid on the river and my brother and I had a 40 HP outboard to ski behind.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 6:15pm
If cap/rotor have not been changed in a while start there, my excal burns thru those every couple years. On mine they are not marine specific so a Napa/AC Delco replacement is fine
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 4:01pm
Have you checked basic tuneup items?
Cap and Rotor (seem to be commonly mentioned with Excal issues) spark plug wires, spark plugs?

A misfire would be more apt to happen under heavy load.

Someone experienced with Excals can hopefully weigh in on whether or not a misfire would throw a code on this motor.
Blender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 2:11pm
Hi

I have a 2003 Ski Nautique with 975 hrs on a 330HP Excalibur motor. Recently the engine started throwing a See Dealer Error. At the same time it goes into some type of limp home mode, down to ~1/3 power.   This only happens when pulling a skier out of the hole normally. If you pull the skier out soft, it does not happen.   For surfing, wakeboarding, etc.. it does not happen. Only when accelerating quickly from a stop,   I do not have a code scanner and live far from a dealer.    Any suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic