NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Dragging Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Dragging Shaft
    Posted: September-17-2016 at 1:50pm
It shouldn't have gone from just fine to what you're experiencing it seems.

Glad to know the distributor worked out. That Duane he's OK.

Did you wet down the cutlass bearing before starting it on land?

The starter will turn over and start an engine in gear with no problem.

I'd wet the cutlass bearing and start it, the shaft may turn some but not do any grabbing if the bearing is wet.
H2O4Fun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2O4Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 1:37pm
Ken, you should try to be more gentle on your postings. My wife is wanting to know if she made me buy a money pit "how much is a transmission rebuiled"... she sure loves this boat.

anyway, I have been through the manual now. Before the previous repair you and Duane helped me with, I had it in the water and it shifted fine.

I will look for the "dirty neutral" and will see what I can find. Today I plan to pump out and replace the fluid. Thanks for the help on the type.

Also searching for transmission rebuild/replace/kit information through google. If it is necessary, I will try to rebuild before seeking the professional.

Terry
Terry&Kathie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 1:03pm
Hi Terry

Look in the reference section for the Borg Warner manual. Good reading with a troubleshoot section too.

One of the little voices in my head tells me that a transmission rebuild is probably in your future though.

I know the boats new to you, can't remember if you've had it on the water and if it shifted OK then.

Search here on CCF for "dirty neutral".

I think I'd call yours "really filthy" with warped forward clutch plates being the guess.

Can't hurt to pump out the old fluid and put back in some Dexron 3. and see what happens.

1.8 to 2 quarts is the capacity.

KenO
H2O4Fun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2O4Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:26pm
Ken, yes. The propeller shaft is turning when I try to start the engine. It is not staying totally engaged, but rather grabbing and letting go, grabbing and letting go. The first time it starts up I realize I have it hot. The next time its hot and becomes too much as it grabs and lets go. Terry
Terry&Kathie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by H2O4Fun H2O4Fun wrote:

When I start the motor while the boat is out of the water, the first time it fires right up and purrs like a kitten. Come back later, and turn the key and the starter pulls the shaft, dragging it intermittently. The boat is in neutral and the hose is connected to the back of the motor. I have fried a couple of cylinoids and cant figure out why the shaft gets engaged when I try to start the motor. I took the linkage off and tried to start it with the shifter in place in the decant ball, but it is still grabbing the shaft. Everytime it drags, the cylinoid gets fried. It's just too much torque.

The motor is a 351W on a 1988 Martinique. I found the book on the motor in the reference section and will see what assistance that will give, but if anyone has helpful comments, I am in the receive mode. Up all night trying to figure out the chemistry of the problem. I am new to ski boats and this engine.

* On a side note, I want to drain and replace the transmission fluid and don't know what kind this boat takes. Assistance here is also appreciated.

Thanks, Terry.

Hi Terry

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but do you mean the propeller shaft is turning when you try to start the engine?

Dexron 3 works good in the transmission

KenO
H2O4Fun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2O4Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:18pm
I have put a new solenoid on it and the starter engages/disengages. When I try to start it the second time, it tries to pull the drive shaft and overloads the solenoid and it overloads and melts. I think the starter is fine as it engages/disengages fine. Now that I am reading the reference section, there may be too much pressure in the transmission. In neutral, it may not be releasing the shaft like it should. It may be that there is too much transmission fluid?

Keep the comments coming. Terry
Terry&Kathie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 12:06pm
Terry,
Check to make sure the starter solenoid is being de energized by the start relay. Sounds like the power to the starter is staying on. If so, the start relay contacts may be welded together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
H2O4Fun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2O4Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2016 at 11:45am
When I start the motor while the boat is out of the water, the first time it fires right up and purrs like a kitten. Come back later, and turn the key and the starter pulls the shaft, dragging it intermittently. The boat is in neutral and the hose is connected to the back of the motor. I have fried a couple of cylinoids and cant figure out why the shaft gets engaged when I try to start the motor. I took the linkage off and tried to start it with the shifter in place in the decant ball, but it is still grabbing the shaft. Everytime it drags, the cylinoid gets fried. It's just too much torque.

The motor is a 351W on a 1988 Martinique. I found the book on the motor in the reference section and will see what assistance that will give, but if anyone has helpful comments, I am in the receive mode. Up all night trying to figure out the chemistry of the problem. I am new to ski boats and this engine.

* On a side note, I want to drain and replace the transmission fluid and don't know what kind this boat takes. Assistance here is also appreciated.

Thanks, Terry.

Terry&Kathie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic