Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Truck Bed Liner Coating on Trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck Bed Liner Coating on Trailer?
    Posted: January-04-2017 at 2:13am
1972, 240Z, Motor bored and stroked to 3.1 Liters, 9.5 lbs fly wheel, 5 speed, R200 limited slip 3.70, BBS 3 piece magnesium race wheels built in the first 3 years of BBS. Recaros.
http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/83577-the-build-of-a-240z-by-310z/
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820556/2015-datsun-240z/
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2017 at 5:02am
Originally posted by JD ski JD ski wrote:

Is that a Datsun 240Z or 260Z...??
I learned to drive in one!
Looking at the current prices of these cars, dad should never have sold his
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 1:45pm
Gary,
The phosphate conversion coating I mentioned is just the basic first step for any subsequent coating. The zinc you mentioned is most likely a zinc phosphate coating which has been used for years. Read more It can be sprayed but commercially dipping is more common.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 1:02pm
England has a population of serious "back yard" restorers,for example google Allen Millyard Kawasaki. Anyway some of the powder coaters there were zinc plating before coating which would really seem a great way to protect.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

IMHO knowing Pete's back ground, that he has experience with production methods.

Gary,
Thanks. Yes, you are correct. We are talking steel trailers and large items requiring production methods of powder coat. I only know one person who's anal enough to have one of his trailers sand blasted and then seek out someone with a large enough phosphate tank to have it dipped eliminating the flash rust and improve the powder coat adhesion!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 11:47am
Like everything in life I definitely believe there is a difference between production work and custom work. Much like chrome plating and in some cases painting. IMHO knowing Pete's back ground,that he has experience with production methods.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 11:22am
Still not sure why the hate for powder... maybe shops in the Midwest don't know how to prep? Going on 10 years now on all of the pc'd trim on my 90 (windshield, platform brackets, etc) and it all still looks new.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Pete: A few months ago, I saw a new utility trailer that had been coated in some type of "truck bed liner" product. At the time, I thought that it looked pretty cool. It was new, so there was no apparent wear and the coating looked good. JQ

JQ,
I believe what you saw was a wrinkle finish powder coat. The utility trailers we sell at the HD has it on them. It's good for hiding blemishes! Also, it peals off just like any powder coat due to powder coat pathetic adhesion. The new trailers arriving to the store already show signs of rust creeping out at points where the powder coat is compromised..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 11:06am
When shopping for Imron don't be surprised if you don't find DuPont. It's been sold about 3 years ago and now called Axalta
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 10:32am
If i am not mistaken Por 15 needs to be top coated. Unless it's changed it isn't uv protected
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2016 at 3:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

JQ,
What are you expecting to gain by using bed liner over paint? Paint the trailer so it doesn't look like some back yard hack did it!!

Pete: A few months ago, I saw a new utility trailer that had been coated in some type of "truck bed liner" product. At the time, I thought that it looked pretty cool. It was new, so there was no apparent wear and the coating looked good.

Since I plan to freshen up the SNOB's trailer this off-season, I was looking at several coating options when that utility trailer came to mind. I did a little on-line research and found the Herculiner product. So, before doing something I might regret later, I wanted to get some feedback from the group. That's one of the things that make CCF so great.

I have no problem lifting a boat and pulling the trailer -- followed by sand-blasting and painting. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Based on feedback from the group, I think I'll stick with the tried-and-true DuPont Imron plan.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 10:28pm
I used por-15 on a ram Lin 5 or 6 years ago. Followed instructions and it still looks good to date. I admit I was very skeptical at first about brushing it on the rusty metal but it worked as advertised. I am still impressed with the results.
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I own a 2002 single axle Ramlin Red ( Painted ) Trailer. The pervious owner replaced the plywood and carpet steps with plywood coated with bed-liner material and it looks like the black carpet and so far as held up well. The underside is not coated to let the wood breath. The Polyuria is not on the metal.

Marty Mabe did a self brush applied POR 15 White Coating to his Correct Craft #2 or #3 trailer under his Skylark and that stuff dried to look like it was sprayed. It is a PITA to apply, and you must wear gloves. It will stay on your hands for nine months. There is a trailer #2 or #3 restore thread on this site that shows how he did it. I believe the coating has held up well.

Donald

I forgot about POR-15, great stuff. As stated very messy to use and depending on the atmosphere can be very runny and drip. POR-15 dries with humidity, unlike most paints. Without humidity in the air POR-15 will stay tacky for possibly ever?.I live in the mountainous high desert with the humidity usually below 15%. I painted two engine blocks with POR-15 black. It was still tacky three weeks later. The first day it rained the paint hardened up. I think if there was more moisture in the air the paint may not be so drippy. Great product and i would recommend it for a self painted boat trailer. Done right it will look like a factory powder coat. Hard to see but this block is done in POR-15

1975 Century Resorter
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 8:46pm
What Pete said!!!!
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 8:31pm
JQ,
What are you expecting to gain by using bed liner over paint? Paint the trailer so it doesn't look like some back yard hack did it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 7:40pm
I own a 2002 single axle Ramlin Red ( Painted ) Trailer. The pervious owner replaced the plywood and carpet steps with plywood coated with bed-liner material and it looks like the black carpet and so far as held up well. The underside is not coated to let the wood breath. The Polyuria is not on the metal.

Marty Mabe did a self brush applied POR 15 White Coating to his Correct Craft #2 or #3 trailer under his Skylark and that stuff dried to look like it was sprayed. It is a PITA to apply, and you must wear gloves. It will stay on your hands for nine months. There is a trailer #2 or #3 restore thread on this site that shows how he did it. I believe the coating has held up well.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 4:44pm
I think DayTony's advice is good advice. I have never seen the do it yourself coatings last or look good after a short period. Even some of the professional coatings when exposed to dirt, always stays dirty. I have seen many jeeps and trucks that have never been able to get the coated areas clean once exposed to dirt. I could see moss and mold easily adhering to some of these products depending on climate and ruining the trailer. I know it is a pain to remove the boat from the trailer and have everything scheduled for a sand/soda/media blast and paint. But, I would find a way to blast and paint. Or just touch up the areas that need attention.

1975 Century Resorter
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 4:26pm
I herculined my jeep interior years ago. Took every precaution and prep steps i could. It peeled off in large portions as soon as a year later. It is not uv protected either so it will look like a chalky faded peice of nutty poop after a while if its in the sun.
Most of those coats rely on keeping elements out. Kind of like powder coat. Then as soon as its compromised it goes to crap.
If a tough coat is your goal something thats professionally sprayed will last longer. Rhino is sprayed hot and much thicker.
The rust will be your biggest enemy. A local granite company or headstone company should be able to sandblast the whole trailer for a couple hundred dollars. Then youve got a fresh start.

Personaly i think a good quality primer and paint will outlast either tough coat option.
I did just drop my bumper and side steps off to get rhino coated i can chime in with my thoughts after a season or two in new englands beautiful climate.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2016 at 2:08pm
Has anybody re-done their trailer with a DIY truck bed liner coating? I'm thinking about the Herculiner coating product as a paint replacement for my 1994 trailer. The trailer has a little rust and pitting, so i would need to sand a prep the surface before application.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic