NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 fuel delivery problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 fuel delivery problem
    Posted: February-13-2017 at 9:17pm
Thanks Mark
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2017 at 5:58pm
Carter used Stoddard solvent but mineral spirits would work the same way I think.
Gasoline would be a little dangerous to test with due to venting and flame issues.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2017 at 3:55pm
What would be a good way to test out of the boat Mark.? I know some who rebuild English electric diaphragm pumps use mineral spirits for the fluid.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2017 at 3:34pm
When testing electric fuel pumps be very careful not to run them while dry. These are fuel lubricated pumps and will damage themselves quickly if run dry. Carter fuel pump company used to say 10 seconds run dry is enough to damage them.
Glad you got it figured out.
This is another reason you never want to run out of gas with this set up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2017 at 12:26am
Better for you to spend 3 days than taking it in and paying someone else! Glad it worked out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 11:35pm
Ok, just to update,
I can't add pictures from my iPhone. I'll try later.
Ok, the fuse has not been rerouted or piggy backed anywhere else. I'm looking in the bilge though, and I see the fuse cord down there running to nothing. Where does that connect?
And.... like I said, I took over the project. Just figured out there was power to everything,   No problem there. I took off both pumps and worked backwards, again, seems what had been pumping out of the LP was just the fuel left in the line, as I held the key over for 20 or so seconds, and the fuel stopped coming out. I went back to the filter, it was good, went back to the tank. What I found was the pickup tube had been put on the wrong side, therefore the line was just sucking air. 3 days of working on it, for a wrong side tube. Oh well, I would not add this one to the spreadsheet.
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 8:24pm
If you have 12V at the pump with ignition on you can forget about wiring and relays.

What was the source of the second HP pump you tried, new ??? (I think you have two bad HP pumps)

The wire you re connected may have been the retrofit that PCM did to eliminate the troublesome large fuse in battery box for ECU power. Have a look at this old thread ECC Power Retrofit

Paul (Gun-driver) did a lot of work on the non FCC GT40 HP fuel pumps not sure if he found a replacement or went with the FCC conversion Gary posted. Will see if I can find Paul's thread.

Edit:
Found the replacement thread but the one with all the troubleshooting was more elusive Non FCC HP replacement pump
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 12:28pm
Just making suggestions of different things to check on based on my limited knowledge of associated problems and possible fixes with links to other similar troubleshooting. Not suggesting simply randomly making new connections without proper troubleshooting. Sorry if it came across as such. curious to know what lewy 2001 has to say. Hope you can fix the issue without much trouble. Have any pics of the project?

Kyle
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 11:55am
Lewy2001 is the FI expert here,when he see's this I'm sure he'll respond. Randomly connecting wires without testing could lead to trouble. Might be that it was already disconnected and bypassed, as per PCM's instructions. Thats why you need to test voltage to pumps and fuel pressure before you start disconnecting and connecting wires.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 11:47am
That wire with the inline fuse to the battery needs to be connected. Many have eliminated the inline fuse and connected the wire to the fused side of one of the engine breakers.

That may be part of your problem if it isn't connected.

Kyle

Here
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 11:35am
LP pump is brand new, I unhooked the HP from the LP hit the key and get fuel. Fuel filter is new, even the line from the tank is new. Engine is a zero hour rebuild. I saw the fuse wire that connects directly to the battery had been cut, so reattached it. May try a new fuse, but I don't really know what that fuse controls. Calls itself a fuse-time delay for fusing the fuel pump. I may go find a new fuse, but still get power to the pump. Anyone know the function of this fuse?
The truth is GaryS, it's possible that both HP pumps I have are bad but when you hook up power to them, they kick on. Even if they aren't pumping the fuel at a high enough pressure, I should at least see fuel come out of the other end..I would think
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 11:12am
Out of curiosity how many hours are on the boat? How are you sure the LP pump is pumping fuel? Has it ever been changed? How do you know that your 2nd HP pump is good,is it new? I would verify 12v to the HP Pump. You are going to need to get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge eventually.Here is the conversion kit to change to an FCC.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 11:02am
You might try replacing both of the relays located by the ECM but since you have power I suspect that's not the problem. Check your fuel filter. My Hp pump was squealing real bad and starving for fuel due to a clogged filter. If that doesn't fix it, it may be your pump. Unfortunately those high pressure pumps are NLA. The issue is finding a 2-port hp pump on the intake side for the return line. carter p5000 or p61171 is a 1-in 1-out pump available on summit but you would have to re route the fuel return to the inlet side with some new fittings (y) or cap it. There has been some discussion on team talk about this since indmar used the same HP pump for quite a while Here

Not sure if any Nautique owners have tried this conversion since I believe Nautique only used the pump in 95 then went to the FCC. I suppose you could also convert the whole system to FCC but that would take a little more $.

Kyle
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 10:20am
Without FCC, the pump is not sending fuel up to the rail. There is a little bit of air pressure in the rail after each key turn, but nothing more
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 10:06am
Which system do you have, with or with out a fcc? Have you verified what the fuel pressure is at the fuel rail?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 3:23am
I'm taking over a 95 SN project. The engine will fire with ether, but I cannot get it to pump fuel. The low pressure pump is pumping fuel into the high pressure pump, but the high pressure pump is not pumping out fuel. I've verified that it has power. In my hand, plugged in, I feel it kick on When I turn the key, but I get no fuel through it when I try to start. I've tried two pumps, so that does not appear to be the issue.
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic