Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FCC fuel pump ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FCC fuel pump ?
    Posted: May-04-2017 at 11:13pm
If I remember correctly the Ford fuel injections systems run around 41-44 psi at the test port at the head.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 2:49pm
Gary, thinking about this a little more you can go higher than 25 on the high side.
I know some OE designs for cars run 80PSI in the system and their pumps dead head at 120 PSI. Dead Head is capped off max pressure. So maybe 40 PSI over your needs is just fine.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 12:43pm
Thanks for the heads up Mark. Seems like checking fuel pressure before and after would be a good idea. I have only checked Walbro because they so far been the OE ones
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 3:49am
Gary, I would agree with most of what is said in the Walbro tech note but keep in mind the Fuel Pumps are available from 7 PSI up to 120 PSI.   I would be comfortable with a pump that put out 25 PSI more than required but would not go higher than that. On the other side if your engine needs 40 PSI at the fuel rail I would not be comfortable installing a pump that only puts out 45 PSI. You need some excess to keep the fuel rail cool and supply your needed pressure in all situations.
Outside of Walbro you can look at Carter, Bosch and Airtex for compatible pumps you could use.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 10:15pm
Well we will find out more if I remember to remind Zach. I suspect like the bigger Chevy pump it will be a proprietary pump "built" just for PCM. A Walbro GSS340 looks like it would fill the bill. It has the same base that holds the fuel filter on as well and are right around 60 dollars. In reality I think when I get around to it I'll just try the larger pump I already have,here is what Walbro's site says about a higher pressure pump-
HP (High Pressure) - GSS340,GSS341,GSS342 are the main Walbro 255 high pressure intank fuel pumps.
If your vehicle is used for racing purposes, heavy hauling, or in high powered turbo vehicles, OE spec Walbro Fuel pumps may not supply enough fuel to satisfy your engines needs. The Walbro 255LPH high pressure fuel pump is highly recommended for vehicles with engine performance purposes. Installing a Walbro high pressure fuel pump in a non-performance vehicle will not damage your motor. All fuel first passes through fuel injectors and a fuel pressure regulator which only send the required amount of fuel into the intake manifold, sending the unused fuel back to the fuel tank
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 9:50pm
I would say the pump could be out of a mid 90's f150 with a 351 fuel injected. Looks just like the one in my 86 Mustang GT.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 9:00pm
Gary here is a picture of mine last time i had it open. That HPP would have just been sourced from some common automotive in tank fuel pump setup.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 9:05pm
I don't know Chris at this time I don't need one since mine looks to be new when I bought it. What I'm doing is collecting parts to add an FCC to my engine since the oem pumps are no longer available. Right now parts wise I just need a wiring harness and the braided fuel lines. I'm learning as I go,not much info out there. I bought a FCC from Jody it was off either a 6.0L or 8.1L and has an internal regulator and therefore no fuel rail return line fitting. PCM says I cannot use it but in taking it apart I think it's possible. If the FCC top is drilled thru and tapped for a return line at the white arrow and at the red arrow,the port for the feed to the internal regulator is plugged

This is the internal regulator that sits in the above top that is removed in the above pic

This is the complete FCC and bracket,this bracket is one for a GT40 V Drive which combines the LP pump on to the same mount as the FCC

Next part of the equation is the fuel pump,being that it's for a larger engine I'm assuming it either has more pressure or more volume. I contacted Walbro since it is marked on the pump as being their part number GSS 439 which does not show up on their web site. Here is what they said- "I was unable to find any information on a GSS 439 pump on our end. Not to say that it couldn't exist but it could be a pump that you have to get from the application manufacturer directly". I will bet that the gt40 pump will have similar preparatory numbers on it also. One thing stated on Walbro's web site is a higher capacity pump can be used since any excess goes back to the tank anyway.So when it's time I think I'll just try the one I have and see.

PCM now has a conversion available for around 835 for a DD unit but since I've already started on it I'm going to finish. Since my current setup is working,no need to hurry either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 5:50pm
Gary,

Is there a substitute for the block mounted low pressure pump?? I saved my old one if there is a part number needed there?? Did some years have the LPP mounted to the FCC??

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Pete, remind me to remind Gary to remind me to send him the part number of that pump.

Who's going to remind me?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 5:05pm
Pete, remind me to remind Gary to remind me to send him the part number of that pump.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 5:01pm
A reminder for what?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Gary, Text me an remind me and I will look.

Zach,
I have a feeling that Gary will need that reminder! Retirement and age has an effect on memory!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 12:12pm
Will do Zach thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 10:00am
Gary, I'll have my dads FCC apart next week. Text me an remind me and I will look.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 1:20am
I'm trying to avoid the PCM OEM pump. Walbro makes the pumps they are 50-60 dollars vs 150. I want to see if the gt40 pcm pump cross references to walbro numbers. Someone here has to have one laying around ;)
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Anyone have their GT 40 FCC apart for a filter change or have an extra pump handy? I'm looking for the part number that is stamped into the side of the high pressure pump,it will be something like this- Walbro GSS xxx

Call Vince at SkiDim?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 8:28pm
Anyone have their GT 40 FCC apart for a filter change or have an extra pump handy? I'm looking for the part number that is stamped into the side of the high pressure pump,it will be something like this- Walbro GSS xxx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic