NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil leak
    Posted: May-08-2017 at 11:49pm
My wife says that I'm perpetually a quart low.

I think that it's a social comment...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 7:51pm
Here's some oil pan capacity info courtesy of Gary S

oil pan info
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 6:35pm
I am definitely higher than the full mark on my dipstick, but the previous owner who had this boat its full life said it was always like that and that the dipstick seemed wrong.

I used a miti-vac to suck out my oil and got a good 4.5 quarts out of the pan, plus the oil filter was full.

I filled it back up with 5 quarts.

I hope I am not too high. I can snap a pic of where the level is on the dipstick if that would help.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I seem to agree with Pete,

I have to admit I found that rather humorous while I was typing it Pete
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I seem to agree with Pete,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 5:14pm

One thing to keep in mind is that when the engine isn't running there's no oil at the seal unless you have too much oil in the sump so if that oil was from the seal it would be residual leakage from when it was last run. The level might be at or near the oil pan gasket that goes around the seal cap depending on engine angle..

When the oil is hot and moving around in the sump it'll probably leak more but I seem to agree with Pete, just use it and monitor the leak.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 3:17pm
Thanks Pete. That is what I hoped. If all goes well, the boat will be at the lake by the end of the weekend.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 2:13pm
Richard,
I wouldn't worry too much about the leak. It's really not much considering how long it's been in storage. Our cars/trucks leak but we don't notice it as much since the drips go to the ground. Just keep an eye on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 1:49pm
Found some oil in my bilge after winter layup. I am assuming it is coming from the rear seal as the only place I can find a source of oil is when I wipe the back flange of the engine with a paper town I get some oil residue. My oil level has not fallen.

Here are some pics of what I found:

Am I looking at something that needs immediate attention, or can I monitor this and my oil level and get a full season in?

Thanks.

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic