NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water flow problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water flow problem
    Posted: June-10-2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by DanielT DanielT wrote:

I haven't had time to tackle this problem until now but fortunately was able to fix it.
The culprit happened to be the hose which connects to the outflow of the waterpump. I had apparently damaged it by tightening the hose clamp too much.

Hollywood, I never try to dispute any advise given here, but am just trying to think for myself in order to learn more. Maybe it seems that way but that may be caused by my poor ability to express mysellf in english.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Nothing wrong with your English at all.

I'll bet it's a lot better than Hollywood's Dutch

And.......good job by the way
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 7:55pm
I haven't had time to tackle this problem until now but fortunately was able to fix it.
The culprit happened to be the hose which connects to the outflow of the waterpump. I had apparently damaged it by tightening the hose clamp too much.

Hollywood, I never try to dispute any advise given here, but am just trying to think for myself in order to learn more. Maybe it seems that way but that may be caused by my poor ability to express mysellf in english.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 3:18pm

Im still getting very high temperatures when idling (180-200). When revving up the engine to 2000 rpm it starts to decrease to around 140 and stays that way for some time. After a while it will increase again steadily. The impeller is new and I've tightened the strainer cap.

Air leak between pickup and rwp will cause this. Check all connections and bypass that suspect strainer as instructed.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 3:14pm
Quit assuming you know what you're doing and listen to the advise here and your engine will be running properly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 7:50pm

The strainer was leaking because of high pressure build up, and it isn't a sturdy sherwood. Maybe something to replace in the near future.

Daniel,
The strainer should hold the pressure from the garden hose even if it's not the best. As mentioned, if it leaks water, it will allow air to be sucked into the system. Remove (by-pass) the strainer and run the engine again to see if you still have the cooling problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 4:50pm
I've checked the impeller, its still fine.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 2:56pm
It could be that you HAD a new impeller.

If you ran it dry very long while trying the bucket method, you may have a well used somewhat abused impeller now.

It's probably worth taking a look at it again just to be sure you know it's condition
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 2:10pm
Im still getting very high temperatures when idling (180-200). When revving up the engine to 2000 rpm it starts to decrease to around 140 and stays that way for some time. After a while it will increase again steadily. The impeller is new and I've tightened the strainer cap.
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 12:01pm
Thanks guys. I truly live up to my title.
Because my engine tag was completely ruined I didn't know what rotation I had. Really was convinced it was a RH, was also running on a RH rotation... (with some backfiring)
Solved that too now.

The strainer was leaking because of high pressure build up, and it isn't a sturdy sherwood. Maybe something to replace in the near future.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 11:30am
Classic backwards RWP symptoms. However, you still have a strainer gasket problem. Water should not be escaping the system even with the backwards pump.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 11:12am
Maybe this Hollywood diagram will help, Look at the LH engine part of the drawing

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:59am
If you're in front of the engine looking back at the pulleys and they're going clockwise you have a LH normal rotation engine and the pump orientation needs to be swapped so the screw head is in towards the engine.

Then your cooling issues will probably be solved
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:58am

Keno, my pulleys are rotating clockwise.

That makes it a LH engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:56am
Keno, my pulleys are rotating clockwise. That would make the screw head facing outward?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:52am
It seems to me that the 1989 SN's had a RH prop and a LH engine.

It was the first year of the 1.23 to 1 transmission.

If that's the case your pump is mounted wrong and would need to be oriented so the screw head is facing in toward the engine.

DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:52am
I've double checked it. I can feel pressure building up when dragging water through the hose via my mouth, up untill the point I'm drinking water from the canals of Amsterdam. That should rule out any leaks I would say?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:32am
For reference, Daniel has a 1989 Ski Nautique 2001.
Daniel,
Water should not leak out of the sea strainer when on the water hose. Check the gasket and even if there's one there. If it leaks water, it will easily suck air.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DanielT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 10:18am
So I've been trying to tackle a problem for a couple of days now with no succes.
Water will not flow trough the engine/the water pump will not pick up any water;
I've replaced the impeller and checked all the hoses and strainer, 100% certain that there aren't any leaks there. The water pump is not upside down, I have a RH rotation and the bolt of the water pump on the outside.
When I hook up the garden hose pressure will build up and water will shoot out the edge of the strainer. When I try the bucket fake-a-lake method, water will not flow in but the engine pushes out air instead.

What is going on and what to do?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic