Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting/Fuel Issue???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting/Fuel Issue???
    Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:59pm
Hey guys,

Sorry for such a delayed update. It ended up being the gauges themselves. I bought two new gauges, hooked them up, and that was it. I'm still having the starting issue, but I am definitely relieved to have operational gauges.

Thank you all so much for your help and input. I greatly appreciate it. I hope you all have a great summer. Happy boating!
first boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 5:17pm
I had that occasional turning over problem and it turned out to be the connection between the battery wire and the battery clamps. The terminal and clamps were free of corrosion but the wires connecting to the clamps needed cleaned.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by cam89 cam89 wrote:

When I hook my multimeter up to both sender terminals (on the OHM setting) the needle pins to the far right. Same thing when I connect it to the sender wires going into the back of both gauges.

When I hold the end of the wires going to the senders on to the engine block to ground it out, nothiing happens on the actual gauges on the dash.

Would the issue be the gauges themselves?

Cameron,
When you take Ohm (resistance) readings, you what to only connect to the device or length of wire you are testing. Nothing should be connected so, to check a sender, the sender wire should be disconnected. Then, one VOM probe to the sender terminal and the other to the engine block (the ground). Try getting some readings again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 4:11pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a PO?

PO = Previous Owner

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 3:38pm
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a PO?

I feel like the wiring to the sender from the gauge is fine. It's showing continuity:
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 3:20pm
They could be the problem but you'd hate to take the time and expense to source other gauges only to find out that it was a PO messing with the wiring and all it needed was to be reconnected or something else simple. Much like measuring twice and cutting once
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 2:23pm
When I hook my multimeter up to both sender terminals (on the OHM setting) the needle pins to the far right. Same thing when I connect it to the sender wires going into the back of both gauges.

When I hold the end of the wires going to the senders on to the engine block to ground it out, nothiing happens on the actual gauges on the dash.

Would the issue be the gauges themselves?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 6:21am
Cameron,
What are you using for testing the gauge problem? One of those test lights? I suggest a VOM so you can get voltage and as Gary mentions Ohms (resistance) at the senders. Check to make sure the oil and temp senders do not have any type of thread sealant such as Teflon tape on their pipe threads since they are the ground source for the gauges and must have continuity to the engine block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 3:59am
Thanks, Gary. I actually did relay those two wires to one of the larger ground wires on the back of the engine (not sure if that was sufficient or not) to see if the needle would move...neither of the needles moved. Should I try to find a bolt on the engine to ground it with instead of relaying it to another ground wire?...I did so b/c I couldn't find a bolt small enough/close enough to use to ground.

As far as wire continuity, since I hooked the wire ends up to a hot wire and it showed power at the back of the gauge, shouldn't that eliminate the continuity as a potential issue? And according to what I saw tonight both of those gauges are indeed getting power via the ignition switch.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 2:10am

. Here is the issue. Neither of the sensor/sender wires (for either one) going into the back of the gauge are showing power (I tried it with the engine on, and engine off with the key in the run position). I checked the terminals at both sensors to see if they were putting out any electrical current...neither one showed power being sent from the sensor..

They don't and never do have any power on them,they vary resistance to ground. That is why you disconnect the wire from the sensor and connect that wire end to ground with the key on . the needle of the gauge should peg. If it does the sender could be bad,or has a bad ground-another reason a sender does not use sealant or teflon tape on,it needs to make a good ground on it's case. If the needle of the gauge does not move when the wire is connected to ground,either that wire has no continuity to the gauge or no power to the gauge.

Thanks Duane
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 12:59am
Thank you all for your help and insight. An update after working on it some today.

The engine is starting more often than it was yesterday...so that's good. After doing a lot of wire tracing and diagnosing, this is what I have found out about the temperature and oil pressure gauges. Any thoughts, opinions, and/or insight would be appreciated.

Both of the gauges are connected properly. Both are getting constant power, and I'm fairly confident that they are both grounded correctly as well. Here is the issue. Neither of the sensor/sender wires (for either one) going into the back of the gauge are showing power (I tried it with the engine on, and engine off with the key in the run position). I tested both wires by relaying the end that goes onto the sensor (at the engine) to another hot wire. When I did that both of the wires showed power going into the back of the gauge. So I think that everything from a wiring standpoint is good. I checked the terminals at both sensors to see if they were putting out any electrical current...neither one showed power being sent from the sensor...(I also tried that with the engine running and engine off with the key in the run position).

So my guess is that both sensors need replacing if they aren't sending out any type of power. Is this correct?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 10:38am
Another thought (since this is a new purchase for you): The boat may have really old gas, possibly with water in it.

You might want to siphon some out & evaluate it, or better yet siphon it all out & eliminate it as a cause.

There also is a water separator (next to the fuel pump) that should be cleaned out once a year. Just unscrew the bottom plug to empty the water out. It is best to replace the filter inside, but getting the canister unscrewed can be a bugger!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 8:30am
Here's a link to a recent thread that you should take a look at. It has a wiring diagram for the engine too

recent thread

I'd start with removing the ground cable where it attaches to the engine and cleaning the cable end and the block too and then move on to every connection between the battery positive post and the starter

That would include the solenoid connections and the key switch connections too.

That would be a beginning and you can see if there's any improvement.

If not, then you're into checking things like the cables themselves, the solenoid, the starter, the key switch.

People usually find the problem by cleaning up and tightening the connections though.

Also, you mentioned starting hard after running out of gas. That happens like you thought when the fuel pump has to reprime itself . A little shot of gas down the carburetor does wonders for getting things going again.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 7:18am
Very nice engine Gary.   Good attention to detail. Would love to see and hear it run
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 2:12am
Red arrow points to oil pressure sender,black arrow to water temp. Different engine conversion than yours but all Fords are in the same locations. Disconnect wire at either sender unit and connect to ground,turn key to run,gauge pointer should go to extreme right. If it does not you will have to check to see if gauge has power and ground. Battery must be a starting battery- no deep cycle,no dual purpose type, anything but a starting battery will damage the starting relay and can cause symptoms you have. Good luck,keep us informed

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 1:38am
Thank you for your insight. I had the battery checked today. It was good. When I hooked it back up, I made sure to clean the terminals. Same thing today. I got it to turn over and start up after about 3-4 turns of the key. Not sure what the deal is.

I was also working on getting some of my gauges to work tonight. Particularly temperature, oil pressure, and fuel. None of the respective wires were getting juice at gauge. I traced the brown wire from the temperature gauge all the way to where it goes into the engine. It looks similar to a spark plug. Is this the water temperature sensor?

Also, any idea where the oil pressure wire runs to on the motor? I couldn't find it...I probably just overlooked it.

Thanks again for your help. I'm definitely learning a lot.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2017 at 9:56am
The alarm circuit doesn't have anything to do with it not starting. In fact, it is best to just unplug that thing (it is unreliable).

It sounds like you have wiring issues. I'd start with a volt meter to determine where the bad connections are (I suspect battery terminals/cables). You also may have a bad battery.

As far as the oil light, check the wire where it connects to the sender, it could be loose.

The octane of your gas isn't the problem.

You might want to pay a mechanic to do an ignition tuneup & evaluate the carbuerator, as these require occasional maintenance.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
cam89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2017 at 9:52pm
I just bought a 1990 Sport Nautique (351w carbureted) a few weeks ago. This weekend was the first time that I've had it in the water since I bought it. It ran great the first day until the very end of the day. As I was on my way back to the dock, the temperature and oil alarm lights came on. (My oil and temperature gauges currently don't work...hope to get that resolved soon). I got it home, let it cool down and started investigating. I noticed that the oil light would still come on even after the engine had cooled. I found that the thermostat housing was leaking water. So I bought some gasket maker at the auto store, and re-sealed the entire thermostat housing. Problem solved...no water leak. However, the oil light was still on. By this time I had checked the oil multiple times...oil level and color looked were fine. I eventually got it to start up a couple of times with the oil light on (I guess the alarm prevents it from starting sometimes). Once started, the oil light would go off. However, every time I would go back to start it, the oil light would come on...not allowing me to start it right away. I did some research and figured that it was probably an electrical or sensor issue since things seemed normal when it was actually running. So I disconnected the oil alarm to allow me to start the boat freely. Boat ran great for most of the day.

***Towards the end of the day, I went to take it out one more time. I started it up and it was idling as people were loading the boat. Right as we were pushing off the dock, the engine cut off. I figured it had run out of gas (the gas gauge currently doesn't work either). So I put a few gallons of gas in it. When I went to start it up, the engine would turn over but wouldn't fully "catch"/start. I tried multiple times...no luck. It eventually got to the point where I would turn the key and just hear a click from the engine bay (I'm guessing the starter or solenoid)...the engine wouldn't even turn over. I would say once every 3-4 times the engine would actually try to turn over. After letting it sit, I eventually got the engine to turn over and start. It seemed to idle just fine. But I'm still having the issue with it not turning over every time I turn the key (still only once every 3-4 times). And to be honest, I'm a little hesitant to take it back out on the main part of the lake in fear that I might have issues with starting the boat, and have to get towed back. I have VERY limited knowledge when it comes to mechanical stuff and how engines operate. I definitely don't know much about carbureted engines.***

So my questions are:

1.) If the boat did run out of gas, why did it take so long for it to start back up? Is that normal for carbureted engines (maybe to get gas back in the lines)?

2.) Why will it only turn over every 3-4 times I turn the key?

3.) Could it be something fuel related? It almost sounds like it's not getting enough/any fuel when it doesn't want to fully start (fuel pump maybe?). Could it be the gasoline that I put in it (normal 87 octane)? I've heard that these engines prefer 100% pure gasoline.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get some answers/insight on some of the issues that I've had this weekend. Thank you in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic