NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! High Throttle hesitation

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! High Throttle hesitation
    Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Could this be a fuel flow issue? Something like a plugged fiuel filter or anti-siphon valve?
Brian - Must have missed this earlier...   Good suggestion.   I did go through the tank, anti siphon, new fuel lines/filter and pump when I did the rebuild, so hopefully I am good to go on all of that for a while.   I definitely think that carb was the issue in this case, but I appreciate that you were thinking outside the box as well... sometimes its the little things that make the biggest difference.

Thanks Kevin and JQ glad it is finally coming together!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 1:39pm
Well done, Kris!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 12:46am
Nicely done. Gotta love finding and fixing a problem.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 8:56pm
So I am happy to report that it was a great trip to the lake this morning...   I was able to take 45 minutes on the ramp since I had the whole place to my self.   I checked ignition timing and found that it was accurate at 3000 RPM, ( 35°) and my 11° was good as an initial timing set point I think.   I also was able to work through the throttle/trans lever adjustment that I have been unhappy with.   Power was good with the replaced main breaker, so I launched the boat and spent about 2 hours of run time on the lake.    The throttle hesitation is definitely gone, and I varied the RPM from 1500 to ~4000 without spending too much time at any one RPM.    The carb rebuild was a good suggestion, and helped a lot Thanks to KENO and the others of you that chimed in.
    I liked the way the motor started better before the carb rebuild, now it takes a couple of throttle pumps at the ramp to get it to start cold, but I also noticed that the choke opens very quickly, so I may need to read up on delaying the opening a bit.   Over all, I am pretty happy.
I still have a little bit of a drive line vibration, but I suspect that is a prop issue.   I guess I will work through solving that as well, but it will likely take a back seat to the next few hours of boating time and getting the engine broken in.   

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 12:12am
Could this be a fuel flow issue? Something like a plugged fiuel filter or anti-siphon valve?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 6:29pm
Timing is rpm driven, it can be verified while running on the driveway in about 2 minutes. It sounds like you should be I I good shape but verify for peace of mind with your brand new engine.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 6:14pm
Hi Mark,     I have a set back timing light, and will check the total advance.   The bottom of the distributor is marked 24° @ 3000 RPM, so I used that as my guide (new DUI distributor) to achieve an assumed total timing advance of 35° (11° initial).   Without the engine running well in the water, I haven't been able to check timing under load, but I would like to do that as soon as I can.   Thanks for the suggestion!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 5:32pm
Kris, I am not a carb guy but your comment on Timing caught my attention.
You mentioned timing at idle. That is a good start but the important timing to measure is what you have at 2,500 rpm up to 4,000 rpm.   
Watch the timing mark move as you advance your rpm. It should advance smoothly as your rpm increases and max out around 35 degrees usually between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm.
The max or total timing number is the one that will give you performance or melt your engine.   If your distributor allows say 40 degrees at 3,000 rpm that is very dangerous for your pistons.   The only solution would be to recurve your distributor or back off the idle timing setting till your max is proper.
If your timing does not advance smoothly, if it jumps or does not move at all you need to go inside the distributor and repair it.
If your distributor as it is set now at 11 degrees is only at say 30 degrees at 3,000 you are leaving power on the table.   You can add idle timing to move your 3,000 rpm timing up or get the distributor re curved.   
Others that know the 351W better can give a better idea of the exact timing curve preferred but in general this is what you need to be aware of.
There are two ways to verify this. Any speed shop sells timing tape that you put on your harmonic balancer or you can measure exactly how far it is from 0 - 10 on your boat and add a new line at 20,25,30,35,
The easy way is to use a Set Back Timing light that allows you to dial in how much timing you want and use your normal timing marks. These are available for $80 or so and help.
I hope it purrs next time out.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Well? Any fun video to post?

Kevin

nothing yet... Main breaker failure at the boat ramp kept me from testing the carb.   I have a replacement intended to arrive this afternoon in the mail...   Hoping to have it installed and up for a re-test on Saturday.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 10:04pm
Well? Any fun video to post?

Kevin
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 2:03am
Kevin,
It didn't take as long as i expected,    I think I could do another one pretty quickly as well if you ever need it.   

Ken, your correct, mine looks just like that.   Thanks for all of your guidance on this.   hopefully the water test goes well tomorrow!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

One more fun fact for Ken The secondary plate seems to have a 59 stamped on it.   the five is pretty lightly stamped, but I think that was the correct number.   

Not a lot I can tell you about that plate except that it's the stock plate for a fair number of marine 4160's and info on it is not very easy to find.

I have one on a 4160 that feeds a 351 with gt-40 heads with no problem at all.

Probably looked just like this

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 10:08pm
Best of luck! If I ever need to work on my carb I'll be pulling it and taking a trip down to your house. Let us know how it does. I'm guessing that black goo removal did the trick.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 9:09pm
So I re-assembled the carb last night and just spent a couple of hours putting everything back together.    I reset the timing at 11°BTDC at 600 RPM.   then adjusted the carb idle needles for 16.5-17" vacuum (600 rpm).    I'll have to wait until tomorrow to throw the boat in the water, but it is running on the hose.    I hope all is well on the top end now, it does start good, and seems to idle nicely.   I did check the idle mixture screws, and they will make the engine die if I get them too far in, so we're running on the idle circuit at idle.    

One more fun fact for Ken The secondary plate seems to have a 59 stamped on it.   the five is pretty lightly stamped, but I think that was the correct number.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 12:28am
50469-1 is the list number.

The link a handful of posts ago only lists a 50469 but I have a paper list that does have the 50469-1

It's a 600 cfm with 65 main jets, and a 2.5 power valve.

If you have the number from the secondary metering plate, I should be able to tell you some info on that. It's just a number cast into the plate like a 5 or 6 or 34 just for example. There are a lot of different numbers.

I'd put it together with what you have (2.5) and get a 5.0 or a 6.5 to try later if you feel like it

You did find issues so with those corrected maybe your problem will be resolved

You could also get a couple of 66 main jets to try if you're buying parts
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 11:54pm
Alright,   
There 3 sets of numbers on the horn of the carb, they are:

FIJL-CA
50469-1

I believe the list # is the 3492, but not too sure at this point.    I may try and start assembling tonight, likely going to be tomorrow evening.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 4:29pm
Hmmm.   lots to think about. We had a bit of a crazy night last night, so I wasn't able to get to the garage to pull the list number.   I will pull it today and repost.      On the metering block pin, it was once molded into the carburetor, but must have been either cracked/weakened, or I broke it getting the metering block off.   I did talk with my local machine shop/speed shop on the way home from work last night, and he said he would reuse the metering block with only one of the alignment pins as Ken stated.

On the PV discussion, I hope to read a bit more, but for the moment, it sounds like I should install the 2.5 and then take some vacuum readings. Seems like the vacuum at idle seems funny because that is not when the PV is used, but I can take the reading and report for sure... then you smart guys can help me to size it correctly.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2017 at 10:50am
The whole 2.5 pv never made sense to me when they made that switch, especially to old list rebuild kits that used to come with a 5.5 or 6.5.

To have to wait til the vacuum is less than 2.5" before the carb switches from lean cruise to high load, only induces a distinct dull flat spot when you mash it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 11:48pm
As another point of reference -- my QuickFuel M-600 is based on the Holley 4160 design. It came from the factory with a 6.5 power-valve.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 10:05pm
When I talked to Holley's tech line a few years ago they told me they purged alot of the older carb info when they computerized
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ken - I don't have the list number here at work, but I can post it later    good to know on the pins... Is their only function to align the gasket?   the rest of the metering block looks good... it's not got further damage anyway.

It keeps the idle passages lined up too but being careful you can get it right.

A good hardware store should have one of those boxes of assorted dowel pins. Probably back at the service desk.

The one I had to assemble with one pin was because the pin broke off and after looking at a metering block today, it's pretty safe to say that the "pin" is part of the casting and somebody did some "creative engineering" to drill a hole and put a new pin in Dreaming's metering block. Seems like it wasn't a very good fit since it fell out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by 1980nautique 1980nautique wrote:

Kris, cut and paste this address: "http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pd" into your browser. and use your LIST # and verify required Power Valve.
Does the Carb have "J" tubes on the bowl vents?

Hey thanks for the chart   

I've got 7 marine 600 cfm 4160's either on boats or on the shelf   You might call me a hoarder or maybe somebody who likes spare parts

First one is a 6576 list number not on the Holley chart, it's old (from 1976) it's always had a 6.5 PV since it was new

Continuing on list number 50419-1 (have 2 of them) 2.5PV

List 9392 2.5 PV

List 7163 2.5 PV

List 80319-1   2.5 PV

and last but not least a list 75009 with a 6.5 PV

And all those PV numbers are from the Holley chart

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ken - I don't have the list number here at work, but I can post it later    good to know on the pins... Is their only function to align the gasket?   the rest of the metering block looks good... it's not got further damage anyway.

A good hardware store should have one of those boxes of assorted dowel pins. Probably back at the service desk.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 4:48pm
Kris, cut and paste this address: "http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pd" into your browser. and use your LIST # and verify required Power Valve.
Does the Carb have "J" tubes on the bowl vents?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 4:42pm
Post your list number later and I can probably tell you what it originally came with.assuming your list number is in my Holley manual.

You'll probably notice that me and 80SN and probably a whole bunch of others like a 6.5.

Your idle vacuum should be over 13.

Sometime back the Holley engineering department decided to build 600 cfm 4160 marine carbs with a 2.5 PV and I've had genuine Holley marine kits come with a 2.5 that I've replaced with a 6.5.

I figure their engineering dept is pretty smart and they had their reasons

My guess is slightly better fuel economy

And by the way vacuum never recovers till you back off the throttle 1980 nautique   Your boat isn't a car cruising on the highway
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 4:03pm
Tim - thanks for advice.   I did set timing etc, and will check it again once I reinstall the carb, and will also dial in the carb with a vacuum guage once it is re-set.   Cooling is working well, all systems were normal during my lake run on Monday.
I have followed the school of thought that rings need seating at all ranges of RPM, when new, so I'll adjust my speed expectations and run a little faster to make sure we set the rings correctly, but will not baby it so to speak.

1980 - sounds like good advice... no Idea where my vacuum numbers are right now, so I guess that you are suggesting I install the 2.5 that came in my kit and replace once I have accurate vacuum numbers?    
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 3:50pm

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by 1980nautique 1980nautique wrote:

I don't believe you will find a marine based Carb Kit for a 4160 Holley that comes with a 2.5 hg. Power valve the main difference in the Kit selection,besides the J Tubes, is the power valve selection. Keep us informed!!!!

I don't believe you're right

It's hard to find a later model 600 cfm marine Holley 4160 with something other than a 2.5 PV as the original PV.

Earlier ones a 6.5 was common

You should clean your !!!!! key too by the way
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 3:45pm
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 3:40pm
Kris,
I would use the proven method of Holley power Valve selection!!! The starting point is to check manifold vacuum at idle on a warmed up engine. Divide this number in half.
ex. 13 hg.'s at idle divided by 2= 6.5.
A 4.0 hg. power valve will slam shut at 4.1 hg.'s and begin to lean out the fuel mix as the engine recovers vacuum and RPMs at WOT.
Recommend putting in the 6.0 or 6.5 hg. Power valve that comes in the 4160 Holley marine Kit.
I don't believe you will find a marine based Carb Kit for a 4160 Holley that comes with a 2.5 hg. power valve
Compared to the street version the Power valve, Main Jet sizes and the J Tubes are the main difference in the Marine Carburetor,.Keep us informed!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic