Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - failed starter for 1979 Commander marine 351 ford
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

failed starter for 1979 Commander marine 351 ford

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: failed starter for 1979 Commander marine 351 ford
    Posted: July-13-2017 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not the rev rotation ford Windsor commanders that I have seen.

+1 on What Tim said
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 2:01pm
Not the rev rotation ford Windsor commanders that I have seen.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 1:59pm
Did Commander ever have a rear top-mounted starter?
If so, that would use a conventional rotation starter to turn a RH engine.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 1:56pm
My 1978 starter failed because it had been under water before I got it.   I took it to a local starter/electrical/alternator repair shop and they rebuilt it for me.   Even installed a new RR drive and the bill was only $65.     Just another option.    Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:56pm
Pretty sure they're the same (99 44/100ths %, just like Ivory soap)

Arco 70101 is the old original style and Arco 70201 is the new style

70201 takes a minor wiring change.

You can use these part numbers to cross reference to other brands

See second post down in linked thread for more info and you need a CCW rotating starter for your RR engine

old thread

Put up a picture of your old starter or a part number if you're not sure
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:48pm
I would be surprised if the commander and pcm bellhousings are different and require different starter styles. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? HM is the only marinizer I'm aware of that used the shorter nose piece.
vvconvco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvconvco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 12:45pm
My boat is a 1979 Ski Nautique with a right hand rotation engine, so I would need a right hand rotating Commander marine starter.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 9:10am
Click on the link below and the picture will help with engine and starter rotation. It tells how to determine reverse rotation or normal rotation.

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 9:03am
Is this starter in a Correct Craft or a different brand of boat?

Just asking because CC's of that era had reverse rotating engines which needed a backwards rotating starter.

If you know which way your engine rotates it will be pretty straight forward helping you get the right starter.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2017 at 1:08am
Have you tried Vince at SkiDIm? He seems all knowing about boat parts.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
vvconvco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvconvco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2017 at 11:20pm
I have damaged the starter on my 1979 Commander marine 351 ford Windsor. I'm told that the replacement starter for a Pleasurecraft Marine motor will not work on my motor. Searching the internet, I can't find a starter for my motor. Can someone help me?
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic