NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ford flywheel and harmonic balancer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford flywheel and harmonic balancer
    Posted: April-22-2018 at 8:01pm
Glad to help
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 7:56pm
Keno,
thank you so much for your prompt reply and information. I will check the snout for roundness and I am going to install a new harmonic balancer even though the other one only has 110 hours on it. The snout could have been bent- out of round and never was check by the rebuilder or I could have installed the balancer unevenly. I'll let you all know the results. Thanks again.
tmcboat
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 7:34pm
351 Fords always had 28 oz imbalance or to put it differently, they never had 50 oz imbalance,

You're mixing up 302 Fords and 351 Fords

The 28 oz vs 50 oz stuff only applies to 302's.

You have the right parts now but maybe your harmonic balancer is in need of a rebuild, the rubber part eventually wears, cracks etc. If it was new in 2016 that shouldn't be your problem though

I suppose when you check the crank snout you'll know a little more.
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 7:19pm
In 2016 I bought a 1984 ford marine 5.8 liter winsor engine rebuilt and I used my 1973   28 ounce flywheel and a new 6.53 inch/ 28 oz. 3 bolt harmonic balancer    so I could use my pmc engine 3 bolt pulley. The engine has about 110 hours on it and runs good but i notice when I installed the new Harmonic balancer in 2016 that there was a slight wobble in it. It still has the wobble- about 1/32 inch in movement. My pmc engine is bolted to a shaft connecting a volvo penta sterndrive. I have read 2 different reports. One says that the pmc engines used the 28 0z flywheels and 28 oz balancers up to the late 1980's. The other report says that ford autos changed to a 50 oz flywheel and balancer after 1981. Does anyone know about this? I hate to pull the whole engine and lower unit to change to a 50 oz flywheel and 50 oz balancer. I am going to remove the harmonic balancer and check the crankshaft end -snout - with a dial indicator to see if its out of round
your thoughts and suggestions please
tmcboat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic