NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plug rust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plug rust
    Posted: April-30-2018 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'd start it up to make sure it runs and has no other issues, then do a compression test.

You could also have a head gasket issue on that side causing the problem and if nothing else the compression test will give you some info on the engine condition.

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking a riser gasket may have caused this issue with most or all of the ones on that side of the engine to look very similar.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 5:45pm
I'd start it up to make sure it runs and has no other issues, then do a compression test.

You could also have a head gasket issue on that side causing the problem and if nothing else the compression test will give you some info on the engine condition.

If those plugs are arranged the same as they are in the engine, the porcelain on #5 looks quite a bit cleaner than the others which could be from water too.

So..........run it, check things and see what issues you might have and go from there is what I'd do.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 5:07pm
No doubt it had water in there or it would not have rusted. You are on the right track.
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 2:18pm
Sunday's work went well overall on the 79 Southwind / 351 -- flushed out all the cooling passages and found bark fragments blocking about half of the trans cooler along with the normal mud and gunk. Replaced with automotive oil sender with a marine unit. Pulled the plugs, squirted in some oil, primed the oil system (holds 40psi) and turned her over a bit with a ratchet. Just need to get the carb on her and hopefully I've still got spark. I'm getting close!

So the plugs were gapped somewhere around .017 and were too tight for my trusty autozone plug coin to fit in the lowest setting. Odd -- not sure what that was about... Gapped to .035 and reinstalled -- but was concerned to see corrosion on #6.

I've seen riser gasket talk in a few places on the site -- I'm guessing that's the likely culprit? Are there any other potential causes maybe relating to the cylinders' 10-year fuel soak?

1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic