NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Difficulty Starting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difficulty Starting
    Posted: May-02-2018 at 3:18pm
Your symptoms are classic of a carb that drips gas while off due to improperly adjusted or gummed up floats or float needle/seat. the question is whether you want to bother cleaning up and dialing in a carb that is less than ideal and may blow you up or if you would rather invest in something marine rated that will likely not need so much messing with.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Make sure distributor is working properly   

IE: the mechanical advance isn't rusted up preventing full movement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 1:54pm
you can adjust choke for warmer weather, open it some more or colder weather, close it some.   

If it was me I would run NO ethanol gas and dump in the right amount of seafoam into the tank and run it.   

Also time to go through the whole thing, Cap Rotor, plugs,   if you have points then replace etc.   Make sure distributor is working properly etc, when you are working on anything never stop at one problem because there will typically be multiple.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 11:46am
Cy,
The choke should be almost closed when the engine is cold. Then, when you apply power to the choke, the bimetallic spring that's under the round cover starts to heat up. As it heats, the choke should start to open. This may take several minutes to fully open.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TurboZinke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 11:32am
OK I may have an electric choke problem. When I turn the key on have have 10.8 V on the electric choke, but nothing moves. Also nothing moves when I turn off the key, and I don't hear anything trying to move either.

How is it supposed to work?
Never miss a good chance to shut up ~ Will Rogers
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 10:38am
Off the top of my head Ken ... First boat was a carb'd Mercruiser that ended up with some carb issues after a tank full of terrible fuel. It was rebuild it or replace it so I did a bunch of research and ended up with the 1409, which ended up needing a few tweaks to work correctly with my engine, hence the extended research.
Mercury used their 'own' carb which was basically an off-the-shelf Webber with some of their own tweaks. Funny thing was Edelbrock did the exact same thing ... utilizing the exact same model of Webber for its platform. Go figure ....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 8:31am
Sounds like you read the link in the post before yours Joe and then spit back some of the Edelbrock marine info

If you didn't, then you should, since that tells a little more
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 12:28am
Functionally the same and use the same base cast pieces but there are definite marine specifics. Generally they have a marine external coating that protects better in a marine (wet) environment and have a threaded fuel inlet, not a nipple for a hose w/ clamp connection. Also, you'll find the jets and metering rods are different from the automotive to marine versions and if memory serves, a different bowl venting system.

All together a marine rated carb will considerably lower chances of fire/ explosion due to leaks or gas venting and is set up (metering, etc.) for the different loads and stresses that are specific to boats and different than that of a car.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by TurboZinke TurboZinke wrote:

Thanks Ken.    Well darn. It says 1405. What's the difference?

Here's a link to some info.

Not huge differences, but enough to minimize your chances of having a fuel fire/explosion because of external carb leakage.

The 1405 also was quite a bit cheaper because it had a manual choke, although an automatic one could be added to it

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by TurboZinke TurboZinke wrote:

Not being marine rated, some will say there's a potential

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:32pm
Cy,
Here's just one link to a Quickfuel thread As I mentioned, there are plenty of members who are very happy with them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:27pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:06pm
Cy,
I'm glad Ken stepped in with better knowledge than I. Thanks Ken!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 5:55pm
Don't believe everything Pete just said

The 8867 is a casting number found on a whole bunch of different Edelbrock carburetors.

The model number is found on the front of the right front mounting ear.

Here's a picture of an Edelbrock with the location shown. The one in the picture is not a marine carburetor but shows where to look for the number.

You should find a number there that has 1409 or 1410 or 9910 as the first 4 digits.if it's marine.

If you find other numbers like 1405, 1406 etc then it's not marine.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 5:21pm
Cy,
The original carb would have been a marine rated Holley. Sounds like a PO has been messing around or really didn't like Holley's!! I googled the Edelbrock 8867 and it's not even marine rated. That is a potential hazard. Many here have been installing Quick Fuel carbs with fantastic results. I'll do some searching later for some links to threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:55pm
My carb is an Edelbrock 8867. Is that the correct carb?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 3:56pm
I'd suggest rebuilding the carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZinke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 3:30pm
It's getting warmer and time to do some work on the old boat.

I have a 1987 Ski Nautique with 351w (of course.) I have a lot of trouble getting it started It runs well but I have to crank and crank to get it to start, especially after its warmed up. I'm assuming I have an automatic choke in the carburetor? Can that be adjusted?

Other than that the only thing that it does is hesitate to come off idle. If I give it too much gas too quickly it will die. Runs great under load. Idles great.

Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic