NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

question for the Ski Tique Owners

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question for the Ski Tique Owners
    Posted: June-14-2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Hey Pete,

I was in the US Navy for 6 years, never heard the term sole. Not in boot camp where we were presented with many nautical terms. I do know the some sailboat guys use it but they are a pretty aloof group.

David

David,
All I can say is they didn't put you on any yachts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Susan's 78 Tique Susan's 78 Tique wrote:

Well, based on what we have spent on our boat to get it looking pretty, I think the description of YACHT is VERY appropriate!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 8:12pm
Hey Pete,

I was in the US Navy for 6 years, never heard the term sole. Not in boot camp where we were presented with many nautical terms. I do know the some sailboat guys use it but they are a pretty aloof group.

David
Susan's 78 Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 7:50pm
Well, based on what we have spent on our boat to get it looking pretty, I think the description of YACHT is VERY appropriate!
My '78 Ski Tique Family Boat
Purchased NEW in the summer of '78
Restoring it LIKE NEW for the summer of 2018!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 6:34pm
Susan,
I know I can always stir things up on the site when I mention "sole" and actually have done it intentionally! It's interesting that depending on when you go for a definition that definitions do differ. Here's one from Nautical Know How that's interesting. "Sole" in reference to a floor is defined as: "Cabin or saloon floor.. Also the molded fiberglass deck of a cockpit." Now, I certainly agree that sole is a better term used for yacht floors but note "Also the molded fiberglass deck of a cockpit" which certainly describes or smaller boats. We can go with their description or start calling our Tiques yachts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 5:37pm
What are you saying Greg, that you are a Sole Man, too?   (why am I suddenly thinking of digging out another 80s movie still????)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 5:28pm
Come on now Larry
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 5:10pm
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 4:54pm
Floor, deck, sole....
I did the same thing you did Susan, since I didnt know, and researched the whole sole thing a while back. I concluded pretty much the same thing as you, that sole is not particularly applicable to our boats. And since 17, 185 of our 17,186 (as of this moment) tend to agree, I think we should stick with deck. Tho I might be inclined to go with that same 17,185 people and call the thing we walk on in our boat the "floor" to distinguish it from that pointy thing up front with the cleats and light and horn and lifting ring. Funny, for some reason whenever we have a conversation like this, I cant help but think of this....

Not quite sure why that is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 4:32pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 4:31pm
Ask for a battery for a 1972 vw beetle has resets terminals and the lid will fit
woodyelc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

be no higher than 8 1/2" high to remain flushed with the deck of the boat

As Tim states, group 65.

I think you meant to say sole rather than deck. If you only had 8 &1/2" to the deck, you would have a pretty short freeboard. I did know what you did mean though.

..."Sole" or "deck"? Well, I vote deck, since sole "appears" to be mostly used to describe the interior floor of a YACHT! I know my little Ski Tique is fancy but it's no YACHT!

DEFINITION FOUND (and well said):"Sole" as I can find it, is exclusively used to describe the interior floors in yachts. I never found "sole" used to describe the floor or any part of a small motor craft. When searching for boating terms, "sole" is often not even on the list of descriptive terms.

"Deck" is used to describe a number of boat parts. In a small runabout like the blue MFG Niagara in my signature, both the floor and the area in front of the windshield are called decks. Any exterior horizontal surface can be called a deck. Any horizontal surface that covers a compartment (like a bilge) can be called a deck. There are Fore decks and Aft decks. You can be Above deck and Below deck. On an air craft carrier, the term "deck" is used to describe dozens of parts of the ship. The term "deck" pretty much covers any horizontal exterior surface of a boat.

Myself, I like to keep things simple. So "deck" works for me to describe any part of a small craft you walk on. But I'm flexable. Like I've posted before, use sole if you like, I'l know what you mean..

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 3:22pm

be no higher than 8 1/2" high to remain flushed with the deck of the boat

As Tim states, group 65.

I think you meant to say sole rather than deck. If you only had 8 &1/2" to the deck, you would have a pretty short freeboard. I did know what you did mean though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 3:15pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 2:41pm
I think it's group 64.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 2:38pm
Can I get advice on which battery Tique owners use? The '78 Ski Tique needs to be no higher than 8 1/2" high to remain flushed with the deck of the boat/carpet. I'm seeing a few on the market but wanted to reach out to the professionals first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic