NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard to Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard to Start
    Posted: July-08-2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

and the cam was returned to the cold position

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The fast idle cam mechanism doesn't apply to a marine Holley. Some of the parts are there and some aren't.

Chris,
Is the carb marine? It doesn't make a difference for adjusting the bimetallic choke spring but it may make a difference with your safety.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:32pm

Where do I find it on the carb? What info do I need to take to the auto parts store! I know that is the problem!!!

Thanks!!!!

They'll probably want to know

your mother's maiden name

the name of the street you grew up on

also the name of your first pet and of course your social security number and charge card info

Or you could take the heating element ( the black cap) with you and make sure you get one for a marine Holley
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:17pm
Look at your other thread on the same subject for some pictures and info.

To put it into easy to understand English the "spring" heats up and unwinds and opens the ckoke when voltage is applied from the ignition system.

When you turn the key to OFF , the voltage is removed and the "spring" cools, winds back up and closes the choke

The fast idle cam mechanism doesn't apply to a marine Holley. Some of the parts are there and some aren't. It's non functional.

The Holley video in the other thread is for an automotive carburetor with a fast idle cam that's functional

In your case a guy named Otto is the fast idle cam. You start it and bump the speed up a little while it warms up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:00pm
Chris,
Do watch the video when you get off work.

The "spring" isn't a true spring but rather a bimetallic spring meaning it's made with two materials that expand at a different rate. When power is applied at start up, the spring warms up and due to the different rates of expansion the spring twists and OPENS the choke.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 9:49pm
Here is how I troubleshot...shooted.

The choke, when cold, was manually moved to the full open position and released. It did not close fully. It seemed like it didn’t have enough “spring force” to close it.

I shut it manually and it fired right up and the cam opened the choke as it warmed.

The next day I looked at it and the cam was returned to the cold position but the choke was not completely closed.

I thought the spring closed the choke, and the cam opened it it up as it warmed. Correspondingly, as it cools the cam move to the cold position and the spring closes the choke manually.

I am working and will watch the video when I get off. I appreciate the help!
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 9:36pm
Chris,
How did you determine the bimetallic spring is the problem? Did you watch the Holley video on adjustment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 9:10pm
Where do I find it on the carb? What info do I need to take to the auto parts store! I know that is the problem!!!

Thanks!!!!
Otto
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 8:01pm
You may need a new choke spring. They can wear out. Auto part store should have one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 6:24pm

What could be preventing it from closing fully when closed??
Thanks!

Try the adjustment of the bimetallic spring housing when the engine is cold. It's the black cover with the three screws.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 5:57pm
The Choke not closing fully is the problem...I pushed it shut and it fired right up cold. What could be preventing it from closing fully when closed??

Thanks!
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 6:26pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 1:07pm
Rough and irritating is one of the reviews......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 12:56pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 12:38pm
Glad to help keep your nose clean too JQ

What color toilet paper do you use? Red must be hard to find.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 12:31pm

This whole thing is starting to sound like a discussion of the proper way to wipe your a**

Do I wipe upwards or downwards?

Do I use short strokes or long strokes?

How many times should I wipe?

Should I be standing up or sitting on the pot ?

Do I run the bathroom fan for 30 seconds before doing anything?

How should I fold the toilet paper?

Just like there's more than one way to do "the wipe" , there's more than one way to start the boat

KENO is always there for quality entertainment. I shot Diet Coke out my nose reading. this.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 10:36am
What brand tp is best for older equiptment? How much do I need to use ? I hear some like to keep it original and just use a hand,others use a corn cob. Any special additives? I always use the fan to disperse explosive gasses.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 10:05am
This whole thing is starting to sound like a discussion of the proper way to wipe your a**

Do I wipe upwards or downwards?

Do I use short strokes or long strokes?

How many times should I wipe?

Should I be standing up or sitting on the pot ?

Do I run the bathroom fan for 30 seconds before doing anything?

How should I fold the toilet paper?

Just like there's more than one way to do "the wipe" , there's more than one way to start the boat

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If someone knows how to set the holley choke to spec and tells you it’s not worth bothering, that should tell you something, right Pete?

I'm confused, why did you say this?

The "proper" way to adjust the choke is to set it to 1/16-1/8"open when closed/cold. That ensures that when the bimetallic spring starts to open it, it will have an immediate effect and will open fully..

I've always set then to almost closed and it works.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 9:15am
OTTO

I would like to see you come to your boat cold and follow this procedure.

Immediately turn your blower on and let it run for at least 30 seconds. Pull the knob to disengage the trans and give the throttle two full whacks and bring it all the way back to the neutral position. start the engine without touching anything but the key.

If you could report back what it does that would be huge step forward.
Following this procedure my boat fires up with authority every time. Sometimes when its a bit cooler it will immediately fire and slowly die, if this happens give her one more whack and return to neutral position and fire it back up.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 9:09am
If someone knows how to set the holley choke to spec and tells you it’s not worth bothering, that should tell you something, right Pete?

I have seen improperly adjusted chokes cause plenty of problems.

I have never had a carbureted 351w that started cold without throttle input, including those whose chokes were set perfectly.

1-2 pumps of fuel and a slightly cracked throttle when cold, keep the rpm’s at 1200 for 30sec and you should be good to go. Bypassing the choke is one of the first things I do on a new boat or new carb.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 8:46am
Tim,
Have you changed your recommendation on setting the choke? You said this:

The "proper" way to adjust the choke is to set it to 1/16-1/8"open when closed/cold. That ensures that when the bimetallic spring starts to open it, it will have an immediate effect and will open fully..

Now you mention this:

Don’t worry about the procedure to “properly set” the choke. Adjust it wide open when cold and remove it from your list of potential issues. Once running properly, you may consider readjusting it... but I never do and wouldn’t recommend you bother.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 8:14am
Tim, Ken, Joe, Chris, JQ,
Thanks for stepping in and helping Chris with his hard start problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 11:28pm
FWIW, I have my choke set to full open. Before starting, I pull-out the disengage button on the throttle lever. Then I give 2-3 full throttle pumps in REVERSE. This allows the full engagement of the accelerator pump. Moving the throttle in the forward position has limited movement. These raw fuel squirts into the carb throat provide a rich mixture to compensate for the disengaged choke.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 8:31pm
Sounds like you might be flooding it, with throttle wide open.

Try a partial pump. It really doesn't take much gas to get it to fire,

A strong spark is your friend here!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 7:08pm

Not sure on this new fangled stuff, but my blower runs with the key in the off position.

no, you are correct. I didn't finish my thought. turn on "ignition breaker" my blower turns on. and I'm guessing at some point the PO rewired something as my choke starts opening with just the ig breaker, not the "run" part of the ig switch. Guess I have some wiring to figure out
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 6:43pm
I think spiral covered a lot of your questions.

Everybody has a routine. Some pump forward with short strokes with the neutral button out, some leave it in or pump backward like spiral said

If you have to open the throttle fully to get it to start after a couple of pumps, I'd pump less, like once and try starting it. It might be getting too much gas and the extra air at the full throttle position clears things up and it starts

Not sure on this new fangled stuff, but my blower runs with the key in the off position.

Edit......... if you think it's not getting enough gas with your pumps, try 4 times, maybe that last pump to full throttle is giving it enough, but if you think it's too much gas with 2 or 3 pumps , then go down to one.

Hard to determine without being there and seeing it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 6:17pm
well, i guess i was slow to hit "post" .

the element inside the choke cap is, in a sense, the spring. So yes, as the element cools, it closes. as it heats, it opens.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 6:15pm

Do you think there is not enough voltage to close the choke for start?

Im confident Keno will get you squared away. But since im reading through this and no one specifically addressed it, I will just to clarify.

The choke closes withOUT voltage. So in a cold (non-electrified) state, the choke would be pretty much closing off the entire primary side. You can adjust how far it opens/closes when cold by doing the procedure Pete mentioned above. When electricity is applied, the coil inside the choke cap warms up causing the butterfly plate to open. Tim is suggesting to not even worry about the closing off of the primaries. By the time you turn on the ignition and run the blower for a few minutes as a pre-start procedure, the choke is already opening (negating a "cold" start type need) . So adjust the choke to just leave them open.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that had to give it a little throttle after start to warm it up. One thing different, I make sure the neutral switch is pushed in to give the first two pumps full pumps, vs with the switch out i can only go a few degrees. Be sure to pull the switch back out before you start though. I've heard others pump in the reverse direction.

Good Luck!
Spiral
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 6:01pm
Ok...I have 10.1 Ohms at the 200 scale...

...next i found that the Throttle Choke would not close fully...

...It would close if I manually applied light pressure to it....

...I used Remingtons REM Oil to lube the shafts connected to the choke lever....

...The butterfly returns almost all the way shut now that it is lubed...

...I was looking for a spring that would return the choke to the full close position, but i couldn't find one...

...when i manually move the choke heating element to the wide open position and release it, the choke shuts fully now...

...when I slowly reverse the direction of the choke heating element it seems to get stuck a bit...

I now understand how the choke heating element works to slowly open the choke as the engine heats up...

QUESTION: When power is removed from the choke heating element, does it release fully to the full choke position OR does it slowly contract closing the choke slowly as the temperature falls?

QUESTION: Is there a Choke return spring that should close the choke fully when cold, or power is removed from the choke heating element?

Thanks guys!   
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:07pm
Thanks!

My Starting routine I have tried this 2 different ways, 1) 2 Pumps with the Accelerator Pump, and 2) 3 Pumps of the Accelerator Pump.

1) Pump the Accelerator, leave throttle at the 45 degree angle (forward)
2) Crank Engine

To get it started i usually have to open the throttle wide to get it to fore, then I reduce it for idle. once warm it accelerates normally and it will start with out moving the throttle outside of 90 degree (neutral).
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic