NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

motorola alternator replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: motorola alternator replacement
    Posted: June-27-2018 at 8:24am
What "alternator gauge are you talking about, an ammeter on the dash? Or do you have a voltmeter on the dash instead of an ammeter.

Does it work now?

Not to complicate things but if the ammeter is dead, you can have a perfectly good alternator that won't charge anything because of the bad ammeter. Is it safe to assume you had the alternator tested and it's bad?

And you most likely don't have a warning light like Pete mentioned even though there's a terminal on the back for that

That was a car feature, not used on an 80 CC

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by csdbigsky csdbigsky wrote:

The alternator burned out and I can't find a matching replacement.

What's "burned out"? As Ken mentioned, they can be repaired and then you would still have the warning light.

Not necessarily the correct part but if the diode bridge is blow, they are available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
csdbigsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csdbigsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 12:05am
Looks like the early motorola style on Jamestown Distributors, but there's no wire coming off it. Do you think the 105 amp delco work? Will there be any issues with going from a 4 to 1 wire alternator-how do I get my alternator gauge to work?
ebay
1980 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 11:27pm
It sounds like your alternator was replaced/upgraded sometime over the years..

The 80's originally had a 37 amp Prestolite with an external regulator mounted on the back of the engine. I'm guessing you have an internal regulator on your Motorola.

Does it look like what's in the link from Ski Dim?

link

or maybe anything in the link from Jamestown distributors

link

Any auto electric shops out there that could rebuild what you have now?

The one wire Delco if that's what you're considering is easy to mount, cheap and easy to hook up that one orange wire from your harness to the output terminal on the alternator.
csdbigsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csdbigsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 10:31pm
I have a 1980 Ski Nautique with a 351 ford motor. The alternator burned out and I can't find a matching replacement. It's a 4 wire motorola 50 amp. Any suggestions for matching it with a replacement? I'm open to going to 1 wire, going up in amps, any suggestions and diagrams welcome! Thanks
1980 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic