NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Gaskets - Marine?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Gaskets - Marine?
    Posted: July-28-2018 at 9:04am
If you're talking carburetor related stuff, no difference that I know of

Things like head gaskets, they tell you about the stainless steel core that's probably the same as many of the FelPro automotive ones but not all automotive head gaskets necessarily have stainless internal construction.

I figure those advertising dept. people get paid to convince us that "marine" is better which would make me think that they sell inferior stuff to the automotive world and we know that's not the case.

Other than the head gaskets, I figure we're paying for that "marine" word in the packaging and advertising.

Maybe somebody else will have some different thoughts or info
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2018 at 7:47am
Thanks Keno. I appreciate the definitive -sort of answer :-)

I can take care of the fitment aspect. I'm just wondering if marine gaskets are made with different material than automotive gaskets.

Felpro seems to think anything with "marine" in the name is worth more money.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2018 at 9:17pm
I'll jump in with a No sort of

And then ask what's a marine carburetor base gasket or spacer gasket?

Sometimes people use a gasket of the wrong size to seal properly between the intake manifold and the PCM 351W spacer and have a vacuum leak there. The PCM gasket is thick and shaped right for their spacer. Maybe somebody might call that a "marine gasket" since it comes in a PCM package.

You're using a different spacer and wedge so you'll just have to verify that the gaskets you're using fit properly so there won't be a vacuum leak especially at the joint with the manifold itself.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2018 at 8:29pm
I'm getting ready to install the new carb, along with an aluminum wedge, and a phenolic spacer. I got a variety of gaskets that either came with the parts or I bought as Summit's brand. Then I stumbled on another forum that talked about using Marine specific gaskets.

What's the consensus? Do they need to be marine specific?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic