NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prestolite distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prestolite distributor
    Posted: August-02-2018 at 4:48pm
Ok now have brand new pertronix flame thrower 11 setup with matching coil, The problem now is what should the timing be set to and what should it advance to at, say 3500 rpm, we have to bear in mind the thing is running on propane, whith the full conversion, ie carb removed.Anybody got any info?????
Cheers
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2018 at 6:28pm
Thanks, I thought it was a bit of a strange affair, ordered complete new distributor and coil for it now so should be back on the water next week.
Cheers
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by DPUK DPUK wrote:

lets try this

Dave

There are a couple of things I can say from looking at your pictures.

First, that distributor looks like it was the original distributor for the engine based on the E9JL 12100CB number.

And second, in my best grammatically incorrect English, "I ain't never seen nuthin' like that electronic module under the cap of a Prestolite distributor"

It's not the original Prestolite module which looks like the picture below

Maybe it's from an outfit on your side of the ocean

You should be able to see if the module is making and breaking the circuit with a test light with one end on the negative side of the coil and the other end to ground or earth as you guys call it. I'd also unhook the gray wire from the coil negative to be sure your tach isn't affecting the ignition system before doing this test then test again with the tach hooked back up.

If it's functioning the light should be flickering between on and off as the engine rotates.while being cranked over with the key.

Constantly on or constantly off means the module is probably dead.

If the module is dead, Pertronix makes one for that distributor (Prestolite with electronic module) that has a part number of 91589.

It's got a different magnet ring than the ones they make for converting breaker point Prestolites.

The ring for the 91589 fits over the 8 pronged "pinwheel"

DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2018 at 3:51pm
lets try this
Barefoot Gramp's
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2018 at 10:57am
Hi, my 1997 196 has no spark, stopped at the jetty turned off went to start about 10 min's later, no spark, checked coil, that's ok, So has to be the pickup unit Rite? looked at the distributor but not sure it's standard, what do you all think?
my trusted mechanic say to replace the prestolite with a different type ie Mallory.
any thoughts?
Ok so now cant upload the pic's, wrong file type.
Will try and sort that out.
Cheers
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic