NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frozen block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frozen block
    Posted: August-03-2018 at 1:07pm
I think you told me the were “solider”.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 12:35pm
All my blocks are frozen. If they weren't they would probably melt a hole in the hull.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You guys think you have experience with old blocks.

I used the 50/50 mix to free up a 50 year old 327.

Yes Mark, I feel I do! How about a 91 year old! No supersucker needed

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 3:54am
You guys think you have experience with old blocks. I called on the large production engine rebuilders that covered the western states. Combined they rebuilt about 2,500 engines per month. I worked with them for over 10 years.   Every time they had an odd problem they called and we tried to work it out.   There is very little inside an old block I have not seen already. Stuck pistons, not a big issue.   If minor rust you take a block of wood, a 2x4 works well and knock the pistons out.   If the heads are on and you are tying to loosen the engine go to the coca cola trick and then the 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone.   It works really well to free up rusted parts.

I used the 50/50 mix to free up a 50 year old 327 L79 350 HP number match engine for a Corvette that had been stuck for 30 years.
The stuff really works.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 3:44am
There have been many tests comparing the great rust eaters. PB Blaster is like 4th on the listing. Kroil, while expensive comes in second in most tests.
The 50/50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid comes in #1 by a large margin for breaking loose rusted parts.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:38pm
Thanks. I have that product already. I’ll give it a try.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:11pm

I will throw you a tip most have never heard of. Fill each spark plug hole with Coca Cola.
Let it sit for 2 weeks. The coca cola will eat most of the rust out of your system while doing no more damage.
Drain the coca cola, after the 2 week time period.
Fill each spark plug hole with a 50/50 combination mix of Acetone and Tranny fluid/ATF. This combo has proven to help break rust loose.
The old Ford ATF had more lubricants in it but any ATF will work.
Let the ATF/Acetone mix soak in for 2 days.
See if it will rotate

The active ingredient here is phosphoric acid, which reacts with iron oxide (rust) but not the iron itself. You can skip all the corn syrup and secret Coke formula and just get something like this at Home Depot, much stronger anyhow. Won't take 2 weeks to eat the rust:
http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/phosphoric-prep-etch

I've heard this stuff works pretty well too:
https://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:00pm

I will throw you a tip most have never heard of. Fill each spark plug hole with Coca Cola.
Let it sit for 2 weeks. The coca cola will eat most of the rust out of your system while doing no more damage.
Fill each spark plug hole with a 50/50 combination mix of Acetone and Tranny fluid/ATF. This combo has proven to help break rust loose.
See if it will rotate

👍🏻 Will try some of these methods. Appreciate the suggestions.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 5:15am
See if it will rotate
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Paint in the spark plug hole?

Try buying another engine out from someone else.

Not sure what your comment is implying.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:45am
Paint in the spark plug hole?

Try buying another engine out from someone else.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2018 at 12:01am
Try a fresh coat of paint?

= rebuilt
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by velde99 velde99 wrote:

Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

I’ve had good luck loosening the journals for the rods after a good soaking. Then try to turn it (slight hammering) back and forth carefully.

So not to sound stupid, but to do that I would need to flip and remove oil pan?

Correct this method would require oil pan removal. Of course this would be a last resort after soaking efforts were unsuccessful.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:25pm
Most likely the rings are just stuck to the cylinder walls. Use some ATF and acetone in the sparkplug holes,then put the plugs back in so that the acetone does not evaporate. Let it sit for say a week then try turning it.Don't pull the pan.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

I’ve had good luck loosening the journals for the rods after a good soaking. Then try to turn it (slight hammering) back and forth carefully.

So not to sound stupid, but to do that I would need to flip and remove oil pan?
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:04pm
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 10:20pm
Any suggestion on ways to unfreeze a sitting motor? I have seen online mystery oil and sea foam. I bought a 351 that has sat in a garage for a while. PO was certain it wasn’t frozen when it went into the garage.
I put a breaking bar on it, but nothing. I removed spark plugs and sprayed mystery oil in it and plan to let it soak.
How much pressure does it take to try and see if one of these motor moves? I am pushing downwards ( since that is the way the bolt tightens), but wasn’t sure if it mattered on a reverse rotation engine. Any advice would be appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic