NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Come and go Gremlins

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Come and go Gremlins
    Posted: August-21-2018 at 1:25am
Larry-
Glad to hear the pain is over. May the next good period be longer than the last. That’s how I look at it anyways!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2018 at 12:00am
Larry,
Great news. Glad you're back up and running normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 11:38pm
Gary, I did not, but I will confess as to finding them a little bit intriguing back in the day.

OK, so I came back because I know some people get frustrated when someone has a problem, gets some advice but never comes back with "the rest of the story" so I am here to tell how it worked out.

New starter solved that problem. I'm still not sure why the low volt readings, but they are gone. The battery was down because of a "leaky" ignition switch. I suspected that because its action was mushy, so as soon as the battery was down in 8 hrs after being charged, I went and bought a new switch. Put it in and everything is good now. Starts easily, charge is good, stays charged.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 6:39pm
This title has got me thinking- I wonder if Larry ever owned a Gremlin
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

(Not really, I just said that for Pete's sake....Hey, is that where that expression came from???? "Oh for Pete's sake!!")

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 12:25pm
We will ski the 206 this weekend.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 11:37am
Charged it overnight. Started up quickly this morning and showed to be charging OK. Unplugged charger, so when I get home tonight I can check on the drain situation. If still good, I will proceed carefully and keep my eye on voltmeter. If it plunges, I will (1) recheck connections (2) test/replace alternator. Maybe at some point in there, I will drag the battery down to autozone. (Not really, I just said that for Pete's sake....Hey, is that where that expression came from???? "Oh for Pete's sake!!")
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 10:07am
It is possible to have a cracked solder joint on the alternator diodes, which could explain intermittent charging. Doesn't explain parasitic drain though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:22am

.Volt meter, when running shows 9-10 volts not 12-14. VOM on alternator, shows 9+ volts.

^^this would indicate that you’re not charging, at least intermittently... which may explain the “bad battery” symptoms.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:12am
I've ridden in that boat a couple times and the only stereo I ever heard was after the boat was started. Some serious subwoofers out the stern. Best stereo ever in my opinion. I'm with Pete on this LarryBoy. Even though the battery is not quite a year old, yank it and take it down to the auto parts store and load test it Easy peasy and narrows down the issue quickly. All that rough water you and greg foot in may have knocked a few plates loose in the battery.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:08am

Any other thoughts? When its in the mood it starts immediately. When its not in the mood, nuthin". I have a tentative ski date for thurs evening and I kind of want to know that its going to start without a bunch of fiddling.

I

Larry

Based on what you have written above, it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that you bought a Female starter,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 6:58am
Larry,
The 9 volt reading you got isn't good. I like Gary suspect the battery. Consider having a load test done to it. All the auto supplies will do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 11:55pm
You might be on to something Gary. MIght be the 12,000 watt stereo, 4 sub woofers and 8 bazooka tubes. (Or maybe the multicolor cup holder LEDs)

But good thought about leaving batter charged and hooked up then charged and unhooked up. Battery should be good, new last november. If I can get it started thursday and get our outing in, then I can take a couple days to experiment.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 11:49pm
While you have the battery connections off Larry you could leave the battery on charge. Then disconnect it when you go to work and check the voltage when you get back,that way you can maybe see if the battery is still holding the charge. Can't see what is in your boat to run down the battery while your gone. Air compressor for your tubes? Pumps for the fat sacks? If it was just the battery not charging,if you charge it before you go out you should not have any trouble. If it does have a drain then all bets off. Good luck
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:44pm
Battery cables and connections in the charging circuit... check em, clean em, tighten em. How old are the batt cables?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:40pm
I got my new starter. Works perfectly, thanks again to those that provided guidance, and despite these other problems I am about to get into, I am pretty reasonably convinced the starter was bad. It had been acting up and when finally dead, did nothing. As soon as I put the new one in, it turned right over.

However, I had to charge my battery before it would start. So I charged battery and started right up. Left charger on overnight but not today when gone. Got home tonight. Battery down to 9 volts and no start. I'm bleeding volts somewhere. Put charger on for no more than 15 minutes, started right up. Put new ignition switch in because the action in the old one was very sloppy, thought maybe that was the source of the bleed. Tested, worked fine. Then no start again,, like battery was down again. Five or 10 minute charge, starts. Volt meter, when running shows 9-10 volts not 12-14. VOM on alternator, shows 9+ volts. Bad alternator.?    A few minutes pass, I dont remember, I may or may not have used the charger again. Now it starts right up. Gauge shows 14 volts, VOM on alternator shows 14 volts. I know it sounds like a loose wire somewhere, but I've pretty much removed, checked, cleaned wiggled most key connections. Any other thoughts? When its in the mood it starts immediately. When its not in the mood, nuthin". I have a tentative ski date for thurs evening and I kind of want to know that its going to start without a bunch of fiddling.

I
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic