Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum or mechanical secondaries?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum or mechanical secondaries?
    Posted: September-19-2006 at 6:54am
Engines are air pumps, with the essential changes more air can be facilitated. However using a dual plane manifold more cfm can be used as only one half of the carb supplies one half of the motor. A open plenum is just the opposite, unless the dual plane has been notched.
Vacuum secondaries are the best way to go for your application, it gets what it needs at the right time. If you want a quick plug read use a octane booster it will turn the porcelain red for a good read.
SS 201
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 11:48am
Just rich of too lean... got it. So about a 3mm soot ring?

I did read your thread on plug reading- thats where I stole the pic from. I marked the soot ring that I think youre referring to- just want to make sure Im looking at the right thing.

Thanks!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 11:39am
thats blocked, i'll have to lookat home.
you saw recent my thread on the topic, right?

Not sure where the error yet, but yes, the mismatch of primary to secondary suggest there is more to gain somewhere. This is where a discilined methodology is critical, no shorcuts.

Remember, the big power is just to the rich side of just too lean...if you know what I mean.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 11:28am
Gottaski, here is the link to the soot ring pic (copy and paste):

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/Plugsreading_cropped2.jpg

The 76 is what came installed on the metering plate in the conversion kit, so that makes sense it would flow about the same as the block.

I am not sure if 72 is too much on the primaries or not. I read thats what '79 is running, so thats what I put in there. I am not sure what he has done with his secondaries though. If 72 looks good on the primaries, Ill try an 82 or 84 on the secondaries and go from there. Hopefully Im still lean up top- that means I might have more to gain right?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 11:13am
I just can't see the pix here right now, post the links so I can open..

not certain...I would do a few plugs then when you are confident they are similar, you can reduce your sample accordingly. Typically they are similar.

Whoops- correction - each jet step is 4.5% more flow.. That makes the 76 more reasonable...BUT, if '79 sez you need richer, you are not there yet on the secondaries; you just kept that flow the same. Start with the primaries and dial 'em in nice.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:44am
I see, so the metering plate that I removed should have flowed the equivalent of the new plate with 78 jets. So there should be 12 jet sizes between the primaries and secondaries to account for the PV, correct? (66/78 would be stock flow.)

Now I need to do some more plug readings. Ive read your post and will follow your instructions. To clarify, this is the soot ring that I should be looking at, correct?

How many plugs should I look at per reading? All? Just 1? What about long vs. short intake runners- does it make a difference?

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:08am
No exactly ... the PVCO's are sized to deliver 25% more fuel than the (likely) 66's that were in there originally .

4% per jet step equals 6 jet steps from 66, so if you were to plug the PV, you would need 66 + (2 x 6) = 78 to maintain the same primary flow, or similarly simulate the same mix on the secondary side without the PV.

Thats where I suggest 78 to start on the secondaries. It appears I suggested 76 before, so my bad, sorry. Its better to start high and work down. You should be plenty safe because your primaries are richened. but be careful, if you optimize the primaries, the rear cyllinders may become too lean. Reconsider the 78's.

Right now, your two circuits are mismatched. You have the equivelent of (72 + 12)=84 on the primary and 76 on the secondary. The throttle bores are the same, so there shouldn't be this wide mismatch, one or both must be lean/rich.

Overrich primaries use more gas, reduce combustion temps, more CO. Richer still can foul plugs, collect carbon on the combustion chamber and ridge on the top of the cylinder. I don't think you are there yet at all. An '79 says with confidence richer suits your combination.

Power comes from making as much heat, at the right time, as the components can safely take.
More heat means better expanding ga$$es, thus more power and effiency.

If you were to disable the secondaries as you tune the primaries, perfomance could be measured by top speed as you do plug readings and adjust primary mains.

Its not feasible to run just on the secondaries, one must tune the primaries then add the secondaries and see the affects, best by maintaning the same soot riing width that was obtained on the just the primaries.

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 8:46am
Ill read the plugs, but would there be any driveability symptoms if I was running rich on the primaries?

I would have to read the secondaries independantly to determine if theyre lean, correct? If I understand you correctly, the prim/sec should vary by 6 jet sizes- so a combo of 70/76 or 72/78 may be better than my current 72/76?

Thanks for your help!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 8:09am
I don't think the 72's are to big for what he has done to the motor that's what I run in mine, 76's are too much had those in for a while too and went back the the 72's
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 7:13am
TR that seems kindof fat in the primaries.

Each jet size is about 4% more fuel.

If you started with 66's, I suppose, that computes to, er, uhm, lotta fuel.

The PVCO's deliver about 25% more fuel on the primaries, which is about six jet sizes from the stock 66's, equates to about #78 total.

So, the secondary could still be a touch lean at 76.

looking forward to hearing about the plugs.

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 3:38pm
Funny you should mention that- a friend of ours is a helicopter pilot and that was brought up last weekend!

I dinged up my Acme 470 at the launch a month ago, so Ill be happy to go back to it. Should pick up 200 RPM.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 3:34pm
You can't stop, can you? By next summer you'll have the Chinook gas turbine helicopter engine in there!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2006 at 2:50pm
Well, over the last few weeks a friend helped me rebuild my carb. We got the metering block installed in the rear and installed new jets, 72 in the front and 76 in the rear. I havent re-read my plugs (no time) but I noticed no difference in performance. Still runs great, and pulls up to 4900 RPM with the 12.5x15.5 4-blade Acme. I still have to read my plugs to see where I am, but I should be getting quite a bit more fuel than before. I guess my hopes of gaining more top end was just wishful thinking...

...so I bought some Ford Motorsports 1.6 roller rockers to install this fall/winter!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:32pm
Thanks Gottaski, the parts are all ordered up. Ill report back when Im done!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 8:36am
Yes, std PV, no two-dtage abortion and high-flow is not neccessary, flow is determined by the diameter of the two pvco's.

River Rat to Mole
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:49am
I read the 3rd Gen article and think it's just a misapplication. He states his reasoning for the larger carb is based on a 350 CI engine that dyno's over 400 HP. Most dyno pulls of this kind he's refering to are well over 6000 RPM. That engine and carb (torque converter etc) is most likely designed to begin building power where a marine engine is just about leveling off.

His discussion about "instantaneous" velocity/plenums etc is also a misapplication. His comment that "motors don't intake air in a nice smooth average flow" is most likely refering to engines with lopey cams and huge plenums. Put a vacuum gauge under the typical marine or auto carb and with good valves and even a mlid cam that vacuum will be "steady" thus indicating that flow or "signal" in the plenum is steady. Again, it's just the application and not a right or wrong kinda thing.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:18am
I didnt mention that I only have a handfull of hrs on the boat since I added the cam/intake/heads. I finished the boat a week before I left on travel and its only been in the water 3 times... hopefully no damage has been done. It will be first on the agenda when I return!

Im ordering the marine 4160 rebuild kit(there shouldnt be a difference between a 50463 and R50463 List # right?), the conversion kit and extra fuel bowl gaskets. I already have the extra metering block gaskets and the jet kit.

Question on the powervalves- I assume that I only need a single stage PV, correct? Do I want the standard or high flow versions?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 10:04am
eek, check you plugs!
Not just once...wire the secondaries shut and read immediately after a run wot just on the primaries too. Then you know what circuit is at fault.

Lean at wot will melt pistons quick. Grey plugs are bad bad.

To read the plug, use a scope or cut the threads right off it. A 3mm soot ring is right on, looking at the base of the insulator where it comes out of the metal

Stick with the marine 4160 rebuild kit and get extra bowl/block gaskets; with a side order of PV, 5.5 to 8.5.

And don't run 66 jets with the secondary block, it has no PVCO's, thus it needs to get its 25% more fuel from bigger jets, not the PV. It shoul dhave instructions. Ballbpark I think I would start with 76's then plug check.

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 8:50am
Gottaski, thanks for the response. Just to fuel the fire, what do you make of the CFM argument in this article?

64, I just read that article on carb tuning tips, good stuff there.

For now maybe Im best off doing the conversion and rebuilding. Im thinking that if I replace the 1" spacer with a 1/2" and plumb in the PCV port, I can close the motor box and still run a 3" flame arrestor.

Looks like youre recommending this kit to essentially convert my 4160 to a 4150. If I convert, which rebuild kit should I get- 4150 or 4160? I already have my jet kit.

I think Ill save the money and make the hiteks the next major engine purchase further down the road.

Oh, and one more Q for the carb experts. I havent read my plugs yet since Ive changed my intake/cam/heads. I know I want to verify that Im not running lean to avoid damaging the valves, so that is next on the to-do list. Would running lean at WOT prevent me from seeing the full performance of the upgrades? Right now the boat runs right up to 4800 very quickly and gets to 5000 right after, but it just wont pull any higher. I can turn both a 15" qnd 15.5" pitch prop to a strong 5k, but no more. On my dad's boat, there is a 200 RPM difference @WOT between the same 2 props. Sound normal?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 7:08am
I see...

Understand that as towboat owners we are insanely picky about the transitional performance and responce the engine has to carb inputs...more so than the average boater. i think carbs you are considering are made for burly guys with chrome pipes hanging out the back of the boat and engines with too much cam.

A new direct replacement (I got one last year, figured a carb every 23 years is not too bad) from skidim is a great foundation. It was a little dull when I slammed it so I yanked the 2.5 PV and put in an 8.5, Verified Primary mains were 66's in both new and old. It runs like its injected.

You can order a secondary metering block and longer transfer tube from summit or jegs, to turn your 4160 into a 4150 single-pump, removing the metering plate. This way you can tune your secondaries like you wish. It doesn't cost much at all, and jets are only $5 a pair.

No shame opening a new carb up. Buy a set of the reusable blue holley gaskets, Install them before the factory ones get a chance to stick. They make tuning <almost> fun.

If you think you need more CFM one can also have the choke horn milled off. I havn't but I barely use any choke since installing the MSD, but I'm so far away from useing the cfm there.

A 392 uses 600 cfm @ 88% VE @ 6000rpm. you should be ok.

You can always attach a vacuum gauge and run WOT, if man pressure rises any as it nears Max rpm, its cfm starved, else its ok.

I would squirrly away upgrade money into HITEK manifolds, Roller cam, Jegs/Kaase heads, 392 bottom & sportsman block, closed circuit cooling etc.

River Rat to Mole
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 4:38am
TRBenj,

As I recall, you just replaced your cam etc. I suggest you measure your vacuum at idle and under acceleration both light and heavy (pulling a skier) before you buy the carb and give the Tech Rep's a chance to set it properly before you install a new carb. This needs to be done now due to the new cam change. Without a strong vacuum signal you may never get the 750 to work. Like GottaSki said, the larger carb will affect operation and if your vacuum is already running low due to a higher performance cam with even small amount overlap you could be going in the wrong direction.

Surf a while at CarCraft.com where they had an excellent Tech article on the Holley especially the Power Valve opening and engine vacuum.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 3:32am
Im not actually having any real carb problems. Im probably due for a rebuild, but thats not an issue. I do have motorbox clearance issues with my new intake, and a carb with a PCV port plumbed in would allow me to get rid of the 1" spacer and run a larger flame arrestor.

Long term, Id like to stroke the motor (393w) when it comes time for a rebuild, but that is years away. That is one reason for going with the higher CFM. Ive also read that theres really no harm in having a larger carb (when properly tuned) and it will be able to support higher flow, if needed.

The Barry Grants are supposed to perform a touch better than the Holley's, and I like that I can change the jets on the secondaries. Theyre also supposed to be more efficient... and they look pretty good too! Obviously, any carb will need tuning out of the box.

Really, Im just looking for an excuse to upgrade, and now I know that vacuum is the way to go. Looks like the mechanical version is slightly more expensive ($25)- why is that?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2006 at 6:57am
Go vacuum, I've seen big mechanicals on an SB inboard and it wasn't pretty, didn't deliver the responce one expects from a towboat. But unless you are spinning over 5800 or have stroked the engine, 600 cfm is sufficient. Search for "Carburator CFM Calculator" on the net and play.

The 750 will move the range the primaries are effective up almost a grand. This means if your are getting into the secondaries occasionally at 36 mph ski, power control at that range may improve. The trick is tuning everything else.

This carb is likely not plug-n-play...you will need to jet to your engine with lots of plug readings. You can do that with your carb now, and a secondary metering block can be added to your carb to tune the secondaries.

Firstly, What is the symtom you are trying to improve?

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2006 at 11:31pm
Im toying with the idea of getting a new carburetor and I'm looking at a 750CFM Barry Grant Speed Marine Demon. They offer the carb with either vacuum or mechanical secondaries, and I'm curious about the advantages and disadvantages for each setup. Most of the info out there is geared towards automotive applications, so any marine-specific advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic