NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rusty water dripping from back of motor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rusty water dripping from back of motor
    Posted: July-22-2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Dugedog Dugedog wrote:

I will for sure get a new damper plate. I got the bell housing off and it looked brand new back there. There was a lot of rusty water in the bottom of the b. housing and rust all over the fly wheel as well. I did notice a lot of rust under the band that holds the oil cooler on. There was also a greenish color on a couple spots like it may have been leaking? I will clean it up tomorrow and see if I can find a crack. Other than that I’m kinda at a dead end.

Does this mean you took the flywheel off too so you could see the whole back of the block?

I would have to assume you did, but you know that old saying about assuming things
Dugedog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2019 at 2:09am
I will try and post some pictures.
Dugedog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2019 at 2:08am
I will for sure get a new damper plate. I got the bell housing off and it looked brand new back there. There was a lot of rusty water in the bottom of the b. housing and rust all over the fly wheel as well. I did notice a lot of rust under the band that holds the oil cooler on. There was also a greenish color on a couple spots like it may have been leaking? I will clean it up tomorrow and see if I can find a crack. Other than that I’m kinda at a dead end.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2019 at 12:50pm
If you can't find anything else, then removing the transmission and bellhousing should let you find it.

Look at the thread in the link below and there's a pretty good guideline for removing the transmission and bellhousing.

It's quite a ways down on the first page.

At times like this, somebody will always come along and recommend that you replace the damper plate too

It's 35 years old but only has 450 hours so it's one of those not so easy decisions, but for 100 bucks or less you can put a new one in while the bellhousing is off.
Dugedog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2019 at 10:39am
Thank you for your quick reply Keno. No, I sure hope it’s not a problem with the block. We’re talking a steady drop or 2 every second. I did pull the starter off last night and noticed quite a bit of rusty water has been in there. If I pull the trans. and bell housing off will I be able to tell where it’s coming from? There’s nothing visible on the manifolds or engine itself.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 11:26pm
No freeze plugs back there in a small block Ford

How much water are we talking about roughly?

Maybe an external leak at the back of the engine from an intake manifold gasket or head gasket working it's way down there.

Look for rusty brown stains pretty much everywhere if you haven't already.

You really don't want to think about a cracked or porous block yet
Dugedog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2019 at 10:35pm
Hi. I have a 1983 Ski Nautique 2001 with the pcm 351.The boat is in great shape with 450 hours I bought from the original owner. I have ran it the last 2 years with no problems. This year after starting it up I noticed rusty water dripping from between the bell housing and the block. Are there freeze plugs behind the bell housing that may have corroded out? I’m in So Cal so freezing isn’t really an issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic