Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is my transmission toast??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my transmission toast??
    Posted: July-30-2019 at 8:47pm
Forward pack is smoked. We rebuild these trans on a daily basis and If your forward clutch drum isn’t cracked we can rebuild it and save you a lot of money over switching to the new 80 series. Give us a call 330-273-8291
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 4:25pm
The Tranny is pretty basic, not that many parts inside. You could take it apart and see what it needs. Could be you install new clutches and are good to go,
If bearings are damaged and the shaft shows damage a new tranny might be the cheapest repair. You can't tell it comes apart.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 9:45am
I bought a 84 with a 1 to 1 trans fluid looked like a strawberry milkshake I changed the cooler and flushed it until the fluid was water free . It didn't last long before the trans started slipping.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 12:25am
If you go to the link below, look most of the way down the page and you'll see a guideline of sorts for removing the transmission and bellhousing from an older Ford for damper replacement. Your steps should be about the same

Speaking of damper replacement, it wouldn't hurt to replace yours while things are that far apart.

And being a Chevy in a 2005 ,you could skip the step about removing the starter since it bolts to the engine from below, not the bellhousing like the Ford does

link
SCove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 11:01pm
Haha, thanks guys. I am a bit crabby with my local shop - would have been nice if they could have warned me "hey, we will swap out the cooler, but there is a decent chance the set up is fried from running with water in it"

Seems like it is not rocket science to get a new tranny from skidim and bolt it up Biggest thing is getting the alignment back to correct, right?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 6:31pm
1. From your description (and KENO's comments) it sounds like the tranny clutches are dying.
2. No harm in trying the Lucas magic juice. You don't have much to lose other than your hard-earned ca$h for the Lucas.
3. While you're out buying the Lucas, stop by the grocery store and pick up some Nutella. It will help you choke-down the toast.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 11:15pm
It's really warm bread anyways

I figure you're right about the clutches being shot, the gray metallic stuff probably came from the plates.

Sooner or later it will quit completely.

I doubt that any of the magic products would do much of anything, but if you're trying to salvage a vacation that would be your call.

Whoever did the work didn't do you any favors with one fluid change and saying the water would "cook off" It really should have been changed at least a few times to get all the water out

Your zip code makes me think you might use the boat in brackish or salt water. A salt water leak in the transmission especially an aluminum cased PCM isn't too good at all.
SCove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 7:53pm
Last year I took our 2005 196 over to get work done and winterized. It was leaking oil, which turned out to be (first they said) a pressure switch (then later) the oil pan rusting out. But that is a different story... There was also water in the trans fluid, so they replaced the oil cooler, and the fluid, and said any remaining water would cook off once we started running it.
Well, we ran it hard for about a week, then the transmission started slipping once it got hot, and "smoking" from the dipstick area.

We pumped out all the fluid and it was a nasty gray color (though did not smell burnt per se) Replaced with new fluid, and it ran OK but then started doing the same thing. Once hot it hesitates to go into forward until you give it more throttle. Changed out the fluid again, and it was dark red this time.

Questions: Seems like the forward clutch packs are shot, would you agree? This would require a rebuild, or more likely a swap in of a new PCM 80a (to replace the 40a) full unit?

Until then, can I get a little more use out of it (last week of camp!) by adding Lucas "stop slip" product, or a different additive that would help it thin out less at high heat? Is there any harm in trying if the transmission is shot anyway?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic