NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 SN: 351 Firing Order

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 SN: 351 Firing Order
    Posted: September-29-2006 at 3:00pm
Also, if the came has been changed could be 302 firing order.Just a thought

Munday
Hydrofoilmaniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrofoilmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 10:40pm
thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 6:04pm
RH firing order 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3. If you have a stock intake, you should be able to see the cylinder numbers embossed on it. Here's a rotation diagram, people get it backwards by looking at the pulleys from the front.
Tim D
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 2:20pm
In the reference section there are engine manuals to download, same thing you would buy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrofoilmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 1:09pm
Ok.   I changed my notes.

I don't have a repair manual for this engine.   Can you get these thru CC?

Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 12:09pm
the order starts with 1 not 8 look at the repair manual in the reference section it's pretty clear on what the specs should be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrofoilmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 11:29am
My bust. What I should have said was, 8-4-5-6-2-7-3-1 (COUNTERCLOCKWISE).

Yep, this all started with trying to get my carb dialed in after rebuilding it. I found my distributer loose in the process.      

I was on a bit of wild goose chase yesterday since my friend told me that the #1 was on the port....and the port side cylinders were 1,3,5,7. A small detail.....:)

If the 8-4-5-6-2-7-3-1 (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) firing is correct, how do you set the timing? That is, what RPM's should I be at. I have it set to about 800 now but I still need to set the air/fuel mixture (just rebuilt my carb).

I'm running at about 9 degrees right now. 6 degrees in seemed bogged down.   At 12 it didn't start good warm.   Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help and the tips!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:25am
that is the firing order for a RH rotation engine and not a LH rotation engine like he asked for that would be 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:17am
According to my manual and knowledge you are correct on both. The cylinders are numbered 1 thru 4 on the starboard side (front to back) and 5 thru 8 on the port side (front to back). a$$uming "front" is closest to the driver's seat going "back" towards the stern. Hope that helps.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:12am
if it's a clockwise motor then someone as reversed the rotation of the engine or replaced it with a conventional motor. Look in the reference section in the PCM manual and it will list all of the engine specs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrofoilmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 9:32am
I have a 351 in my 76 SN. What is the firing order? I think it's 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 (clockwise).

Also, on a ford, is the #1 cylinder the front starboard cylinder(driver side)?

Thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic