NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator - 351 Commander

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator - 351 Commander
    Posted: August-14-2021 at 9:56am
I know. I was just researching the same info for my 79 today and stumbled on this. So I figured I’d reply just for fun.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2021 at 9:44am
If this guy is still trying to fit an alternator he's got other problems
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2021 at 7:33am
When I rebuild an old boat I always change the alternator and the starter to modern units . www.dbelectrial.com has been very reliable and easy on the budget.   
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2021 at 5:34am
RA097006
You’ll need a 1 inch spacer from the hardware store too.
Marseille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marseille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2020 at 2:38pm
Can't help on the part number on the Alt but curious if the + wire on the alternator is going through a breaker? I don't see a voltage reg (could have been removed when going to an internally grounded alt). ballast resistor (maybe removed if converted to EI) or any type of breaker next to the starter relay?
'83 SN
SactownStalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SactownStalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2020 at 1:00pm
1984 Ski Nautique with a Ford 351W Commander

Hello! I am trying to find the part/model # for the alternator that will fit this Commander setup. My challenge is that I believe the old alternator was not marine grade as it does not have an ignition screen on the back so I can't simply rebuild it. It was also oversized in physical dimensions as it didn't even need a grounding wiring because the grounding nut was pinned directly against the block. Therefore, when I replaced the previous alternator which had died with a marine grade of the same size, the extra length from the screens prevents the lower mount to line up with the adjuster bar. Not surprisingly, the carburetor was also for a car so I am trying to give her all the TLC she needs from the beginning. Otherwise this is a very clean boat with only 540 hours on it and runs great.

Thinking my options are to find an alternator that has a lower profile or to find a longer alternator adjustment bar (assuming they exist?) & a bigger belt since the alternator is now kicked further outside since it can no longer slide in front of the block as it was intended.

And of course I didn't take a good pic of alternator before I pulled it. In this pic, you can barely see it on front of block, but this is what motor looks like. I can take more if they help?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LVPfZwYcngaV13xt8

Thanks,
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic