Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 Sport GT40 rear main leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 Sport GT40 rear main leak
    Posted: June-26-2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The dial indicator base is clamped to the strut

I'll get an extra hand and give it a go. I don't want my indicator to take a bath
95 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 5:49pm

The dial indicator base is clamped to the strut

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 5:41pm
I'm actually afraid to melt in the water ... I only have a mag base for my dial indicator so I have been placing it on the prop guard on my trailer. I suppose I can always clamp themag base to thee strut or something. I'll fashion something up that's stable enough. Not sure I want to take the risk of my Brown and Sharpe indicator taking a bath though.
95 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 8:17am

It can be done on the lift but you need to get wet.

That's the most profound statement I've heard all day, but the day is still young

So, anyways, thanks Pete, it'll make me chuckle on and off for a while   

And.........I'm not picking on ya, it's just funny

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Jordanh Jordanh wrote:

.    I'm not sure I will be able to get my dial indicator on the shaft next weekend. I won't have anywhere to mount it with the boat on the lift

It can be done on the lift but you need to get wet. The dial indicator base is clamped to the strut which is the best place to clamp it in or out of the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 12:58am
I will go through that lapping process next weekend as well as verifying my keyway fitment. That is a fantastic write up. I will report back with my results.    I'm not sure I will be able to get my dial indicator on the shaft next weekend. I won't have anywhere to mount it with the boat on the lift and I avoid the ramp like the plague on holiday weekends but will verify it when I get a chance.
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 10:07am
Jordan,
Still regarding the vibration, while it's still on the trailer and if you get a chance, check the runout on the shaft again. As far back on the prop taper will give you the best results. The TIR is .003". A bent shaft aft of the strut and a out of tune prop will result in the most vibration. Also, did you lap the prop to the shaft? Is the prop all the way forward on the taper? When installing the prop, some have found that the key gets shifted out of the keyway so the prop rides up on the key so the prop isn't seated on it's taper.

Here's a thread on proper prop installation.

Regarding alignment on the trailer VS: in the water, I'm not a firm believer in checking alignment again in the water. With the hull just sitting in the water or on the trailer, is a lot different than when it's underway. On partial plain, on plain, wide open, and turning at different speeds produces variations in hull geometry way beyond the on the trailer VS: in the water check. The only gain I feel you may find is when the stringers are deteriorated to the point that a large geometry change confirms there's a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 8:35am
There was a video on this site of a gentleman aligning a coupling and checking runout that I followed when I did it. I did all this on my trailer. I have since learned that the coupling alignment is best done in the water as your trailer may not support your hull in the straightest fashion. I am going to recheck that coupling over the fourth
95 Sport Nautique
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 8:29am

I pulled the prop and checked the shaft directly AFT OF THE STRUT, right BEFORE THE PROP, AND on the PROP MATING SURFACE.

I think my wording was just bad, in this comment I was attempting to describe three places but I see now it doesn't read well.

If my memory serves me right all measurements were .0022" TIR or less.
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 7:10am

between the strut and the prop nut.

Jordan,
This is a good spot. Wish you had mentioned it before. So, what did you get for the runout?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 1:14am
Can you describe in greater detail where you are wanting the shaft measured? I measured it in three places between the strut and the prop nut. I did this as preventative maintenance last year when I aligned my engine. My vibration has been noticably worse this year. I've owned the boat 7 years and have not hit anything. Honestly if the prop shaft is bent I would be absolutely baffled. I didnt get deep into the details in my previous post. I just figured I'd leave it at the fact that I measured the shaft.
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 7:38pm

I pulled the prop and checked the shaft directly aft of the strut, right before the prop, and on the prop mating surface.

That's were the bend in the shaft occurs so you probably didn't get a good reading You what to measure farther back on the taper. What reading did you get?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 7:12pm
I pulled the prop and checked the shaft directly aft of the strut, right before the prop, and on the prop mating surface.
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 3:26pm

checked propshaft run out

Jordan,
Did you check the shaft aft of the strut? That's where most bends occur and where even a slight bend produces the most vibration. The max TIR is .003" anywhere on the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 2:52pm
Thank you all for the info! I will certainly replace the seal and damper while in there.

I have a slight vibration around 1000-1200 rpm.

Things ive tried to remedy this..

Align prop shaft coupling ( was done on trailer, i have since read that this should be done on the water)

changed plus, dist cap, and rotor.

changed fuel filter

ran seafoam through gas

checked propshaft run out

swapped props to a new prop to eliminate prop as issue.

I pulled the pin and ran the engine at 1200 rpm. didnt seem to have a vibration. so im thinking its something from the flywheel back.

Now, could this actually be a damper issue? It is smooth and noise free when shifting into gear.
95 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 10:12pm
Been there done that
Sorry to hard to put them in order on my phone but you get the idea. Almost forgot the one with the seal

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 8:02pm
Here's a link to the damper plate at SkiDim.

It's fairly pricey, so the choice is up to you   

link

And another link for the transmission front seal at SkiDim

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 7:48pm
Like Gary said........listen to Dad but not to everything he said   

The thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you have a later 351W with a one piece rear main seal, and that's the reason it can be replaced without dropping the oil pan.

As mentioned you can jack up the rear of the engine a little and let it pivot around the front mounts which you loosen.

Then click on the links below, one has a post from somebody with the same name as me, giving a pretty good rundown on how to access and change the damper plate. The info is near the end of the thread. Being a GT40 you may have a few more things to remove but it's a good rundown of what's involved.

Once you're looking at the plate, you would remove that and then the six bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft and a rear main seal will be staring you right in the face.

You can use a pick to remove the old seal and then put in the new one. You'll be laying on the floor to do it, but it's not bad. Follow the instructions for whatever seal you decide to use especially if you decide to use a teflon rear main seal since they need to go in place clean and dry unlike a rubber seal that gets lubed up good before putting it in.

When it comes time to put the flywheel back on, make sure you've read the second link which talks about bolt hole spacing. It only goes on one way.

And then since you have a damper that's getting old and they just fail whenever they feel like it, I'd install a new damper.

if you don't put a new one in, the old one will crap out about a week later and leave you doing most of the job all over again.........or maybe it'll last 10 more years, you just never know

You could get the damper from Skidim as one place to shop. You need the damper for a PCM 1.23 to 1 transmission

As far as seals go, here are some part numbers from National Oil Seals, (they make FelPro's seals for them)

National 5278 is a Teflon seal that some will say is the latest and greatest technology

National 2377 is a rubber seal that works well too.

link

link

And while you're in there it would be a good idea to look at the front seal on the transmission to see if it leaks at all and decide if you want to replace it.
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 7:02pm
100% it's engine oil. I changed the VR1 and trans fluid at the beginning of the season . If I wipe the bottom of the trans with a white cloth it's golden brown .

I will take my dad's advice and just change the rear seal. Full disclosure I don't have alot of experience with marine(automotive) engines. I've only built an SBC from a short block. I do consider myself fairly mechanical tho... But I was completely under the assumption that you had to remove pan and loosen the mains to change the rear seal for whatever reason. So I'm excited to hear I don't have to hoist the engine completely out of the boat. Now
that's I've actually searched on what's needed to do that I feel foolish.
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 6:20pm
Jordan,
I know you have mentioned it's engine oil but are you sure? Brownish would be engine and reddish would be trans fluid.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 6:00pm
Listen to your Dad. 850 hours is nothing. No need to remove pan either,remove the trans maybe lift rear of engine if needed and replace seal. Put everything back -check alignment your done.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 5:57pm
Unless your engine needs to be rebuilt which with only 850 hours would be unusual I would just replace the seal. Pretty sure you don't have to pull the engine just the transmission which isn't that hard to do.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 4:21pm
Hey guys,

I have a GT40 that I am getting a small amount of oil droplets on the underside of the bell housing. It is not yet dripping bit after an hour or so of operation I can wipe my hand under the bell and come up with oil on my fingers. I assume this is from the rear main. It's definitely engine oil.

My question,. How would you guys proceed to fix this. I would like to pull the engine and just do an overhaul. It has 850 hrs on it. Imo id rather pull it once and put it in fresh. My dad, and other friends, seem to think this is ridiculous and keep telling me to pull it, pull the pan and do the seal, and install it.

What would everyone do if it was theirs ?
95 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic