NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 5.0 HO misfiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 5.0 HO misfiring
    Posted: April-28-2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by GPJ GPJ wrote:

Wires were correct - 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.  What's messed up is this is what the spec sheet and the sticker on the oil pan has.  A sticker on the valve cover has 12756348.  Guess it depends if you're looking clockwise or counter-clockwise.  Now I'm not sure which direction the distributor turns.  Not that it matters for this.

It's a Chevy so the distributor turns Clockwise and if you're going clockwise around the cap with your  1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 firing order and it runs, it's the right firing order.

You could try the firing order on the valve cover and turn it into an engine that doesn't run. Wink

I think I'd ditch that sticker or at least cross off the firing order.
GPJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 3:57pm
Anybody recommend a good mechanic Northwest Atlanta?
GPJ
GPJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 3:55pm
Wires were correct - 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.  What's messed up is this is what the spec sheet and the sticker on the oil pan has.  A sticker on the valve cover has 12756348.  Guess it depends if you're looking clockwise or counter-clockwise.  Now I'm not sure which direction the distributor turns.  Not that it matters for this.
GPJ
GPJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 3:27pm
It started running poorly intermittently then constant.  The rotor and cap had been replaced a while before this happened.  Replaced the plugs over the winter in my garage and had same issue starting it up a couple weeks back.  Plugs are AC MR43LTS from AutoZone.  I'll double check the wiring/firing order.  I also drained the gas tank and filled with new to take that out of the possibilities. Forgot to mention the battery is new also.
Plugs are cheap so I can replace those again.  It's just one of those frustrating issues.  Miss my '82 where nothing was computer controlled and it was fun to work on.
GPJ
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 11:14am
Could be the plugs themselves as well. Have to isolate it down to which ones are misfiring. Have read somewhere about counterfeit plugs- even the boxes are copied
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 10:44am
Did it all of a sudden start running poorly, then all those parts got replaced? Wondering if in the process of part swapping the firing order got mixed up...

Confirmed the FO is correct?
GPJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 4:59pm
I'm having misfiring issues.  2000 Nautique Open Bow, 5.0 HO PCM, throttle body fuel injection, AC Delco HEI ignition.  It has new plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter. Wires show no sign of wear and resistance measures ok. Coil wire measures 1.2K ohms. Coil measures 1.0 ohm primary, 7.9K ohms secondary.  Engine starts right up but when idle settles to 700 or so it runs rough and idle oscillates to make up for this.  Under power still misses, severe lack of power. Fuel appears to be spraying fine from the fuel injectors.  Pulling plugs after it has ran for a bit shows none fouling more than the other but have black soot built up fairly quick.  Have a timing light but there are warnings on how to properly connect it without damaging the Ignition Control Module. Looking for advice how to progress from here.  Thanks in advance.
Glen
GPJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic