NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski pylon replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski pylon replacement
    Posted: April-28-2022 at 7:04am
I'd kinda figure that if you start with a 2 1/2 inch diameter piece of round aluminum solid bar stock, no matter what the grade, it'll be plenty strong for whatever you might be pulling with it Wink
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2022 at 4:50pm
My (non-original, stainless steel) ski pylon on my 1982 2001 has bent to the point that it needs to be replaced. Due to shipping charges to South Africa, buying a factory replacement pylon from Nautiqueparts.com or the like is going to be multiples more expensive for me than having a replacement made locally.

I basically have to decide between going stainless steel again (but using thicker walled tube this time), or aluminium. I can't get any of the preferred grades of aluminium locally. The only grade I can get is 6063 - which seems to be even weaker than 6061. Any recommendations on which to go with: stainless or 6063 aluminium?

Thanks as always for any and all input and advice!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic