NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wont Start/New High/Low Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wont Start/New High/Low Fuel Pump
    Posted: June-05-2022 at 12:54pm
Turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system, turn the key off and watch your fuel pressure.  It should stay very close to your 38-40 PSI for at least 5 minutes and hold close to that for at least 30 minutes, maybe dropping to    30 PSI.   What you are looking for is a leaking injector, if one is leaking it can cause several issues.   Probably not your problem but might as well rule it out as a potential cause.

Ignition misfires can make the engine knock by firing cylinders at the wrong time.  Any chance there is moisture build up inside the distributor cap?
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2022 at 9:32am
The thing that jumped out at me from your post is the knocking you heard last time it ran. Sounds like something mechanical went wrong.
Start at the beginning, compression, spark, timing, fuel .Your slow cranking with a fully charged battery could be a bad connection or again, something wrong mechanically. I would turn it over with a deep 15/16 socket and long breaker bar to see if it turns smoothly, and go from there.
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2022 at 8:39am
Ok, I checked the fuel pressure and it went straight to 39 when I turned the key, jumped to 40 when I tried to crank it. It didn’t crank but pressure never dropped below about 38.

What I’ve noticed last night and this morning trying to do this with the boat battery being dead and using my truck battery and jumper cables to turn the motor over is that even with the first turn of the key it barely turns over and I k ow my truck battery is fully charged and good.   Could a bad alternator be the cause? I thought the battery got it started and the alternator kept it running and the battery charged……
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 8:14pm
Howdy Lee, All's well

I was hoping not to see a thread like this on your end, but I think you'll get thru it Wink
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 7:57pm
Hello!!  I was hoping to hear from you!  Hope all is well!  The pump is running for about 2 seconds, I remembered check for that, so I know its working.  I was not sure about the pressure so I will check that and get back with you!

Lee
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 7:55pm
The gauge should show 39 + or - 3 psi if you turn the key to Run.

When you turn the key to Run, the pumps will run for 2 seconds or so and turn off if the engine isn't running.

So........as a starting point, hook the gauge up, turn the key to Run and you should hear the pumps run for 2 seconds and pressure should come up to the 39 + or - 3 mentioned earlier.    Post back with whatever results you have

Here's a link to last years thread with some good information to review. Wink

flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2022 at 7:33pm
So its a new summer and a new problem.

This forum helped me last year with the installation of a retro fit high/low fuel pump on a 95 PCM Ford 351.  I installed it at the end of last summer, ran it maybe once or twice on the lake then parked it and drained the water out of the motor for the winter.

This past weekend, I got it out and it cranked right up, ran it for a while, cut if off, let it sit and cranked it up several more times and it ran just fine.  The fuel tank barely had maybe 2" of fuel in it but I did not pay attention to the actual fuel gauge, I had taken out the back seat to clean it so I could see that tank.  

I took it to the lake and put 16 gallons of fuel in it, put it in the water and took off out into the lake.  After about 3-4 minutes, I noticed it started losing power and bogging down.  Then I heard some knocking under the hood and it cut off.  I had also noticed the the fuel gauge was not working at all, it was not budging.  

I had to get towed in and parked it at the pier and it has not run since.  I tried today and it would turn over all day but not run.  It seems like it is not getting fuel for some reason.  I would not think that the new fuel pumps are stopped up, however when I took the two fuel lines off the top of the new fuel pump, they did not seem to be under any pressure like I thought they would be.  

I have a fuel pressure gauge that I used last summer after I installed the new pump and got good readings, but does that also work when your just trying to crank it or only when its running?  

Any suggestions?  This is really the first time I have run it hard since installing the new fuel pump.  When I ran it last summer it was just to make sure it would start back after cutting it off because that was the problem with the old one.  

Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic