NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clicking into gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clicking into gear
    Posted: June-03-2024 at 6:04pm
This would be a good time to check/replace if necessary the brass cable ends where they attach to the arms on the back of the throttle control and also make sure the cables move freely while everything is disassembled
marshef5893 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshef5893 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2024 at 2:26pm
Thank you very much. I will attempt to tear apart the controls. I felt like there should be clicks into and out of gear. The picture with the 3 lines make it pretty clear.
Thanks again, Mark
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2024 at 6:01am
storm34 did a morse control rebuild thread a few years ago. Check it out.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2024 at 7:10pm
I have good clicks on both the 93 and 78 Morse throttles. Our older 72 does not. Now I want to take the 72 apart.

I would start with disconnecting the cables and reattaching them with the procedure in the faq. That has solved issues for us in the past when getting the 78 control working right.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2024 at 6:36pm
So you're missing the click......here's a picture of the inside of a Morse throttle control like yours

You see 3 yellow lines pointing at 3 detents in the mechanism and you see a spring and ball.

One detent for neutral one for forward and one for reverse. Shift to forward and you get the click when the ball is in the forward detent, same for shifting back to neutral or shifting to reverse Right now the shifter is in neutral

You'll have to remove the control and take it apart to see what the problem is. Maybe a broken spring, dried up grease or a missing ball and/or spring if it's been apart before  Maybe shallow detents 

It's only scary the first time you take one apart Wink

Maybe somebody with a 93 (samudj01 comes to mind) can tell you how pronounced his click is......or isn't as compared to one of his earlier boats like the 78 Tique.

I think he'll be around to give some input

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2024 at 2:12pm
Could be the control, the cable or the trans shift mechanism. Time to disconnect some stuff and see where the problem truly lies.
marshef5893 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshef5893 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2024 at 11:33am
Let me start by saying I haven't owned a Ski Nautique in over 25 years. I have a question about what I remember from my 86 model. When I put it in gear, I remember a very distinct click and at that point a slow engagement of the transmission. I have purchased a 93 model and it doesn't seem to have that click point. You move the shift lever and it just engages at some point but you really don't know where that is. Is this an issue with the shift lever? or would it be the transmission linkage. Seems to do it in both forward and reverse so it makes me think it's in the shift lever.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic